Yahoo & Rotoworld discuss Bills rookie class

"6. Straight-forward here. If Da'Rick Rogers stays out of trouble, does he make the Bills roster and what type of contribution can Buffalo expect from him in Year 1 and beyond?

I thought he was the top wide receiver talent in the draft. He can be as good as he wants to be. I'll leave it at that."

Good stuff, and with SJ and the rookies the Bills could finally have a really great WR corps.

"6. Straight-forward here. If Da'Rick Rogers stays out of trouble, does he make the Bills roster and what type of contribution can Buffalo expect from him in Year 1 and beyond?

I thought he was the top wide receiver talent in the draft. He can be as good as he wants to be. I'll leave it at that."

Good stuff, and with SJ and the rookies the Bills could finally have a really great WR corps.

Okay, so I'll go out on a limb here and accept the blindfold and cigarette as I'm led to the firing squad.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stevie Johnson ends up as the second, or third, wideout. (Cue - flames). Here's my logic, and the MDs on the board can correct me.

He's just announced that he's cracked a vertebra. Holy crap. That's pretty hard to fix. Not as bad as a tailbone, but pretty hard to immobilize effectively. You're not talking a tibia or fibula that can be locked up in a cast. This is...you know,...your back. A cracked vertebra? Try performing challenging physical stunts with THAT injury - like "breathing". His participation in training camp, by my highly uneducated guess, is going to be limited. It doesn't mean that he's going to be a no show. It means that he's going to be 80%. So...you're Stevie Johnson, and you're going into the final exam having missed the last two chapters of the course. You're going to do well, because you've piled on a lot of positive material. But crapping out on the final is never a good path to becoming the valedectorian.

Add another aspect to the muddle. Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Buddy Nix (am I forgetting anyone?) are gone. You know, the people who drafted Stevie Johnson, the people who invested part of their credibility in Stevie Johnson, the people who signed the contract bump/extension. Whaley, Marrone, Hackett have HOW much invested in this guy? Okay, a lot in the sense that he's a big player, a big name, a proven commodity with multiple 1,000-yard seasons under his belt. But the antics? "Why So Serious?" The "Shot-in-the-leg-heard-round-the-league"? Does Doug Marrone want to be a part of that? I don't know. I doubt it. He sure didn't show a lot of patience with Da'Rick Rogers' antics last month, did he?

Stevie Johnson is the most accomplished receiver on this team, and SHOULD BE, by all rights, the designated Number One receiver. But if he's not kicking ass and taking names in Summer Camp, my gut call is that this NEW coaching staff, backed by this NEW Front Office, have to go with whomever is proving themselves Top Dog in Week 1.

Me? I'm in for Woods and Rogers.

Flame away. I could use the tan.

Okay, so I'll go out on a limb here and accept the blindfold and cigarette as I'm led to the firing squad.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stevie Johnson ends up as the second, or third, wideout. (Cue - flames). Here's my logic, and the MDs on the board can correct me.

He's just announced that he's cracked a vertebra. Holy crap. That's pretty hard to fix. Not as bad as a tailbone, but pretty hard to immobilize effectively. You're not talking a tibia or fibula that can be locked up in a cast. This is...you know,...your back. A cracked vertebra? Try performing challenging physical stunts with THAT injury - like "breathing". His participation in training camp, by my highly uneducated guess, is going to be limited. It doesn't mean that he's going to be a no show. It means that he's going to be 80%. So...you're Stevie Johnson, and you're going into the final exam having missed the last two chapters of the course. You're going to do well, because you've piled on a lot of positive material. But crapping out on the final is never a good path to becoming the valedectorian.

Add another aspect to the muddle. Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey, Buddy Nix (am I forgetting anyone?) are gone. You know, the people who drafted Stevie Johnson, the people who invested part of their credibility in Stevie Johnson, the people who signed the contract bump/extension. Whaley, Marrone, Hackett have HOW much invested in this guy? Okay, a lot in the sense that he's a big player, a big name, a proven commodity with multiple 1,000-yard seasons under his belt. But the antics? "Why So Serious?" The "Shot-in-the-leg-heard-round-the-league"? Does Doug Marrone want to be a part of that? I don't know. I doubt it. He sure didn't show a lot of patience with Da'Rick Rogers' antics last month, did he?

Stevie Johnson is the most accomplished receiver on this team, and SHOULD BE, by all rights, the designated Number One receiver. But if he's not kicking ass and taking names in Summer Camp, my gut call is that this NEW coaching staff, backed by this NEW Front Office, have to go with whomever is proving themselves Top Dog in Week 1.

Me? I'm in for Woods and Rogers.

Flame away. I could use the tan.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, and my take on this matter has been historically unpopular here, as I'm sure yours soon will be too.

But if No. 3 receiver means playing in the slot most of the time, then so be it. Win-win.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, and my take on this matter has been historically unpopular here, as I'm sure yours soon will be too.

But if No. 3 receiver means playing in the slot most of the time, then so be it. Win-win.

I'd be VERY comfortable with Stevie Johnson in the slot. I think he'd be unstoppable.

I've been VERY uncomfortable (like - you can't WALK) with a ruptured disc. Unstoppable? I don't know how the guy gets out of bed. Cortisone or not. He's not going to be 100% in camp.

He's going against Robert Woods. He's going against Da'Rick Rogers.

He's not going against Ruvell Martin. He's not going against Donald Jones or David Nelson (and I apologize to everyone if I got their first names backwards, but you get the message).

A loose shoelace will drop you from Reciever #1 to Receiver #2 in this league. A broken back?

The phone rings and you're playing Special Teams in Oakland.

I'd be VERY comfortable with Stevie Johnson in the slot. I think he'd be unstoppable.

I've been VERY uncomfortable (like - you can't WALK) with a ruptured disc. Unstoppable? I don't know how the guy gets out of bed. Cortisone or not. He's not going to be 100% in camp.

He's going against Robert Woods. He's going against Da'Rick Rogers.

He's not going against Ruvell Martin. He's not going against Donald Jones or David Nelson (and I apologize to everyone if I got their first names backwards, but you get the message).

A loose shoelace will drop you from Reciever #1 to Receiver #2 in this league. A broken back?

The phone rings and you're playing Special Teams in Oakland.

You're all over the place here. Is he going to be unstoppable or out of the league?

You're all over the place here. Is he going to be unstoppable or out of the league?

That's a fair comment.

I'm saying that Stevie Johnson is a damn good receiver who should be Number 1. I'm saying that a bad back is very hard to heal quickly. I'm saying that training camp is a very competitive environment in which careers are made and broken. I'm saying that his bad back won't be well enough to propel him to the "lock" Number 1 status at the end of training camp despite a solid career with the Buffalo Bills because of the POTENTIAL talent coming up behind him. I'm saying the reason for this "drop in status" is going to be the result of not being able to clearly outshine this crop of young talent in training camp. I'm saying that said diminution will result in Stevie Johnson dropping on the depth chart to Number 2 or Number 3. I'm saying that this drop will be the result of physical debilitation, coupled with a lack of professional investment on the part of the current coaching staff and front office, neither of which were responsible for drafting him or extending his current contract.

I'm NOT saying he's going to be cut. I'm using hyperbole that he's going to be traded to Oakland for having a shoe untied, and you're correct in calling me on it.

And....your top two receivers against the Pats* on Opening Day would be....?

Perhaps I should have started this as another thread. My apologies for hijacking.

You're all over the place here. Is he going to be unstoppable or out of the league?r

And I like your stuff, MRW. I just realized to whom I was responding.

And....your top two receivers against the Pats* on Opening Day would be....?

Perhaps I should have started this as another thread. My apologies for hijacking.

And I like your stuff, MRW. I just realized to whom I was responding.

Hey, thanks!

As far as top two receivers against the Pats, if I had to guess I'd say Johnson and Woods. It's a fair point about his injury, but given the injuries he's played through in the past I will go with him until proven otherwise.

Out of Woods, Goodwin, and Rodgers, I will be ecstatic if two of them pan out, and it would be shocking to me if more than one made a big impact as a rookie. It's quite rare (still) to see rookie receivers "get it" right out of the gate. But if Johnson turns out to be the third best receiver on the team I think it will bode well for the offense.

I really hope we catch lightning in a bottle with Da'Rick. This frachise needs to luck into something for a change.

If the Bills get one shot at luck (and not Andrew Luck) then they should pray that the one they picked at the most important position turns into gold!.

Hey, thanks!

As far as top two receivers against the Pats, if I had to guess I'd say Johnson and Woods. It's a fair point about his injury, but given the injuries he's played through in the past I will go with him until proven otherwise.

Out of Woods, Goodwin, and Rodgers, I will be ecstatic if two of them pan out, and it would be shocking to me if more than one made a big impact as a rookie. It's quite rare (still) to see rookie receivers "get it" right out of the gate. But if Johnson turns out to be the third best receiver on the team I think it will bode well for the offense.

The one thing that might be going for the Bills is that there is no established WR on this team besides Johnson. It gives the coaching staff full power to try out every one of these rookie wideouts to find out which one will emerge.

But if Johnson turns out to be the third best receiver on the team I think it will bode well for the offense.

Agreed. Also, I've gotten pillaged for saying in the past that we need 2 guys better than SJ. Nice to see someone else say it.

Go BILLS !!