Jason Peters: holdout check, arrest check

You people kill me...Outside of Schoebel, another TBD favorite(sarcasm for the dull), Peters was the most talented player on this team in the last ten years. You all get your nuts in a twist over cutting the punter but don't care that the team traded away a franchise LT. If you want to argue LT's are overrated in todays short drop quick throw league I am down with that. But at the time he was the best LT in the league, and he got the money the market was paying.

Imagine yourself at work being the highest performer, and some fat slob lured away from another company gets paid way more than you to occupy the office next to you. The he proceeds to suck at his job. Imagine that co-worker is Derrick Dockery and see how long you would put up with getting paid less than him????

What kills me is how some people act like the Bills got rid of a future hall of famer. Look at Peters now. Look at his play since leaving. Was that worth his bloated contract? How would you feel if Peters was still a Bill and we were on the hook while he kept missing games?

The bottom line is while Peters earned some nice accolades he didn't make the Eagles better. You pay big bucks to players that make a difference. Peters was not a difference maker. He had the talent to be one, but not the heart.

Have another cheeseburger, Jase.

PTR

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kills me is how some people act like the Bills got rid of a future hall of famer. Look at Peters now. Look at his play since leaving. Was that worth his bloated contract? How would you feel if Peters was still a Bill and we were on the hook while he kept missing games?

The bottom line is while Peters earned some nice accolades he didn't make the Eagles better. You pay big bucks to players that make a difference. Peters was not a difference maker. He had the talent to be one, but not the heart.

PTR

+1

He's 31 has two years left on his deal paying him about 10 million each year so it's not like the usual deal where a guy gets all the money up front then complains when he makes a million in the final year. He's gotta realize after an achilles injury he needs to do all he can to not get cut.

Peters at least lasted longer in Philly than Demetress Bell did - Bell was openly released months ago (after grading out as a bottom-three tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings), and is still looking for work.

Edited by bourbonboy

You people kill me...Outside of Schoebel, another TBD favorite(sarcasm for the dull), Peters was the most talented player on this team in the last ten years. You all get your nuts in a twist over cutting the punter but don't care that the team traded away a franchise LT. If you want to argue LT's are overrated in todays short drop quick throw league I am down with that. But at the time he was the best LT in the league, and he got the money the market was paying.

Imagine yourself at work being the highest performer, and some fat slob lured away from another company gets paid way more than you to occupy the office next to you. The he proceeds to suck at his job. Imagine that co-worker is Derrick Dockery and see how long you would put up with getting paid less than him????

OR maybe the Bills knew exactly what Peters was/is. Since the trade he has been average. OR since he got paid he has been uninspired to play at a level worthy of his contract.

Your argument was germane before the trade, now it looks just silly.

PTR

yep, def. not a difference maker.

Pro Bowl last 3 years. Rated no. 1 LT by Pro Football Focus in 2011, by a wide margin.

More importantly, the Eagles finished 8th, 5th and 3rd in scoring his 3 years there.

He misses one year, and an offense that was averaging over 400 points per season for the last 3 drops to 280 and 29th in the league.

But he doesn't catch the ball or run it, so he added nothing to their offense.

But then, many just have the Russ Brandon approach. "he's 6'5" and over 300 lbs," all we need is another 6'5" 300 lb. guy to step in.

It doesn't work that way, but it won't stop people from believing it.

Of all the players we've lost, Peters is the last one whose departure I would lament. Over the last decade we've seen a lot of guys leave for little or no compensation. Peters is a guy who wanted top $ and we got a 1st and 4th for him - and three years later he blows his achilles. You can debate whether dealing him was the right move, but as far as losses go, this one's pretty minimal.

yep, def. not a difference maker.

Pro Bowl last 3 years. Rated no. 1 LT by Pro Football Focus in 2011, by a wide margin.

More importantly, the Eagles finished 8th, 5th and 3rd in scoring his 3 years there.

He misses one year, and an offense that was averaging over 400 points per season for the last 3 drops to 280 and 29th in the league.

But he doesn't catch the ball or run it, so he added nothing to their offense.

But then, many just have the Russ Brandon approach. "he's 6'5" and over 300 lbs," all we need is another 6'5" 300 lb. guy to step in.

It doesn't work that way, but it won't stop people from believing it.

Just out of curiosity, where did the Eagles' offense rank in 2008, before Peters arrived? Who was playing LT and what was his fate after Peters arrived? And did the Eagles make the playoffs that year, and how did they do relative to Peters' first 2 years with the Eagles?

Pro Bowl! Maaaaaaan that's nothing but a popularity contest. Ruben Brown made the Pro Bowl for the three consecutive years after he retired.

Peters has the talent to be possibly the greatest tackle ever if he worked hard. Seriously. That's why ppl hate him. I coukdnt get on my Division III college team and this guy could be great and doesn't seem to care.

You simply can not justify not paying Peters while at the same time pissing away millions to Dockery, Langston Walker, Mark Anderson, and countless other stiffs this organization has signed. He was great prior to the injury. He was an All-Pro not just an alternate like Kyle Williams. He is the type of player that change franchises. He is the guy that you get in the rookie FA market that allows you to swing and miss year after year in the draft. Great franchises find these guys or even if they luck into them they don't let them leave and creating yet more holes in an already weak team.

I am perfectly ok with anyone who says the interior line is more important than tackles these days. Getting in the QB's face and disrupting timing routes in today's NFL seems more important than rushing from the outside. Same team didn't pay Levitre either. Some other team paid him the market rate. Why no hatred for Levitre? What happens this year when they don't sign Wood?

Just out of curiosity, where did the Eagles' offense rank in 2008, before Peters arrived? Who was playing LT and what was his fate after Peters arrived? And did the Eagles make the playoffs that year, and how did they do relative to Peters' first 2 years with the Eagles?

They finished 6th in scoring in 2008. Tra Thomas was the LT, a very good LT in his own right, but coming down towards the end of his career. he spent 1 season with 2 different teams before retiring.

They replaced one very good LT with another.

Bruce Smith held out a few times if I recall correctly. He also had suspensions for substance abuse, DUIs, and didn't show up until he had to. He hated signing autographs for kids.

Do we hate him? Is / was he a thug? Prima donna?

Or, was he just kind of the best, at which point you deal with the idiosyncrasies when you have the best?

PTR

Didn't realize Peters played quarterback or called offensive plays. One player can make some difference. Can't make all the difference. He does his job very well at a premium position. Could we get over it? I'm happy we have Eric Wood, just let it go.

They finished 6th in scoring in 2008. Tra Thomas was the LT, a very good LT in his own right, but coming down towards the end of his career. he spent 1 season with 2 different teams before retiring.

They replaced one very good LT with another.

Thomas was in major decline during the 2008 season and essentially out of the league midway through the 2009 season, his 12th. I'm not sure that saying Peters is as good as him in 2008 is making your case for you.

Bruce Smith held out a few times if I recall correctly. He also had suspensions for substance abuse, DUIs, and didn't show up until he had to. He hated signing autographs for kids.

Or, was he just kind of the best, at which point you deal with the idiosyncrasies when you have the best?

Didn't realize Peters played quarterback or called offensive plays. One player can make some difference. Can't make all the difference. He does his job very well at a premium position. Could we get over it? I'm happy we have Eric Wood, just let it go.

Peter's is a bum and will remain a bum. I don't understand why people defend him.

Dude was undrafted, basically looking at a future of god knows what - flipping burgers or something. The Bills and Mouse took a chance on a guy that was too large to be playing the TE position he was playing in school and groomed this kid from special teams, to playing RT, and gradually working his way to the LT position. When he had a mostly solid year at LT they presented him with a 4 year contract that he signed in good faith and then he spent the last two years of it holding out and causing problems for the whole team till they were disgusted enough with the whole affair to let him walk.

Not showing up or not giving notice that he was not going to participate in the Eagles OTA's may mean nothing, or it may mean that he has broken out his old playbook again - the world is round for a reason. What comes around goes around.

I have moved on, but he will never be a great player in my book. Just another me-first selfish bum - whatever, he's the Eagle's problem to deal with now.

To be fair, the Super Bowl bills would've been pretty widely criticized had we had this board and 24/7/365 attention on them at that point. Yes they would get love too but I think our memories of a lot of those players would've been skewed a bit more negative.

Although they might've cleaned up a bit to avoid the negative attention

Peter's is a bum and will remain a bum. I don't understand why people defend him.

Dude was undrafted, basically looking at a future of god knows what - flipping burgers or something. The Bills and Mouse took a chance on a guy that was too large to be playing the TE position he was playing in school and groomed this kid from special teams, to playing RT, and gradually working his way to the LT position. When he had a mostly solid year at LT they presented him with a 4 year contract that he signed in good faith and then he spent the last two years of it holding out and causing problems for the whole team till they were disgusted enough with the whole affair to let him walk.

Not showing up or not giving notice that he was not going to participate in the Eagles OTA's may mean nothing, or it may mean that he has broken out his old playbook again - the world is round for a reason. What comes around goes around.

I have moved on, but he will never be a great player in my book. Just another me-first selfish bum - whatever, he's the Eagle's problem to deal with now.

Was Bruce Smith a me-first selfish bum?

To be fair, the Super Bowl bills would've been pretty widely criticized had we had this board and 24/7/365 attention on them at that point. Yes they would get love too but I think our memories of a lot of those players would've been skewed a bit more negative.

Although they might've cleaned up a bit to avoid the negative attention

I wholeheartedly agree.