Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

The problem with this statement is that they didn't "way overpay" to sign Williams. The market was pretty clear based on Julius Peppers' contract that Williams was going to sign for right around $16M/year with around $50M guaranteed...if you go back to February, 2012 free-agency related articles, that's what most of the talking heads were predicting. If Buffalo hadn't given it to him, you can rest assured that Tennessee, Chicago, or someone else would have.

Good point about Peppers being the precedent.

On the other hand though Peppers signed his contract 2 years previous to Mario's so there was more or less the normal amount of inflation,

The reason Byrd wants to be highest paid is presumably because he knows that subsequent safety contracts will exceed his.

However with a suddenly flat salary cap, this may or may not be as true as it has been in the past.

Another good point about Peppers' deal being 2 years prior to Mario's contract. In addition, Peppers was 30 whereas Mario was 27.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand though Peppers signed his contract 2 years previous to Mario's so there was more or less the normal amount of inflation,

The reason Byrd wants to be highest paid is presumably because he knows that subsequent safety contracts will exceed his.

However with a suddenly flat salary cap, this may or may not be as true as it has been in the past.

Considering what Ravens signed Dumervil for, both Peppers' and Williams' contracts are ridiculous in retrospect. Because now with the benefit of time, we know how far off base Bills were in thinking they were legitimate contenders that they gambled on signing Williams to be that one missing piece to the playoff run. Now that contract will be an albatross during a rebuilding phase.

It also throws cold water at the contention that the best way to become a successful franchise is to draft well and keep your own good players. Bills had one good draft in the last 14 years. Fast forward to 2014. How many of the 2009 draftees are likely to be on the roster next September?

Considering what Ravens signed Dumervil for, both Peppers' and Williams' contracts are ridiculous in retrospect. Because now with the benefit of time, we know how far off base Bills were in thinking they were legitimate contenders that they gambled on signing Williams to be that one missing piece to the playoff run. Now that contract will be an albatross during a rebuilding phase.

It also throws cold water at the contention that the best way to become a successful franchise is to draft well and keep your own good players. Bills had one good draft in the last 14 years. Fast forward to 2014. How many of the 2009 draftees are likely to be on the roster next September?

You sound bitter. Do you find nothing about the current situaton to be the least bit enthused about? Mario's contract isn't going to prevent the Bills from doing anything.

I dont think he was Peter . Quiet fellow really.

If one of us is venomous , have you not become Mongoosian : )

You dont seem to care much for Byrd. as a representative of the Bills he has been all a team would wish for regardless of play.

Hell they payed Kelsay for his character and hard work did they not ? Byrd has shown as much character as i see it.

I will leave the quantifying his skills and abilities both past and future to the more able .

What good character are you talking about w Byrd? He has not been arrested since he has played for us, so he is automatically a great guy? Most of the players in the NFL are of decent character, but that does not mean they all deserve to be paid the most at their position.

If he does not show up on time for training camp, I think he is done w the Bills, and never sees the field for us again. This is a completely new coaching staff and regime. Jairus Byrd has done nothing for this coaching staff. If he had signed his franchise tag and showed up for all the OTA's and mini camps, than Marrone, Pettine and co would have much more to go by in their assessment of Byrd and how he would fit in the teams new defensive scheme. By staying away, he has done nothing but alienate himself to the organization and the fan base.

Good luck to him getting a monster contract from another team. Because unless he comes in to camp on time, and plays lights out, he may never see the field again in Buffalo. And he still will not get a mega contract from another team. Kudos to Doug Whaley for toeing the line. Management has to set the tone. Do you think the Patriots would be held hostage to a safety wanting top money in the NFL? Enuf said on that....

You sound bitter. Do you find nothing about the current situaton to be the least bit enthused about? Mario's contract isn't going to prevent the Bills from doing anything.

I'm not bitter. I'm trying to determine how the new regime at OBD is different than the old regime at OBD.

What good character are you talking about w Byrd? He has not been arrested since he has played for us, so he is automatically a great guy? Most of the players in the NFL are of decent character, but that does not mean they all deserve to be paid the most at their position.

If he does not show up on time for training camp, I think he is done w the Bills, and never sees the field for us again. This is a completely new coaching staff and regime. Jairus Byrd has done nothing for this coaching staff. If he had signed his franchise tag and showed up for all the OTA's and mini camps, than Marrone, Pettine and co would have much more to go by in their assessment of Byrd and how he would fit in the teams new defensive scheme. By staying away, he has done nothing but alienate himself to the organization and the fan base.

Good luck to him getting a monster contract from another team. Because unless he comes in to camp on time, and plays lights out, he may never see the field again in Buffalo. And he still will not get a mega contract from another team. Kudos to Doug Whaley for toeing the line. Management has to set the tone. Do you think the Patriots would be held hostage to a safety wanting top money in the NFL? Enuf said on that....

Not sure how you made that leaping extreme assumption from my quick statement about him not being a criminal equates to good character?

I suppose i based it upon his upbringing and listening to his quotes over the years. How he is handling himself now even.

He is a community fellow with good and strong ties to the church and youth, has an education etc.

But i am not going to try to prove those facts to someone that dares to compare ANYTHING AT ALL TO THE PATRIOTS AS A POSITIVE ROLE TO EMULATE.

If i knew how to ignore you i sure would.

No one is being held hostage and thast just aggressive language on your part.

you are a potato head

Edited by 3rdand12

Yeah, until we sign the biggest name FA to a $100mil contact, I wont believe it... Oh wait...

Cannot believe for a second that move didn't also include Brandon reasoning that it was a way to generate fan excitement and move "inventory", and get some positive press for a franchise with zero NFL relevance. Here's to hoping Mario justifying that mammoth contract this year.

Cannot believe for a second that move didn't also include Brandon reasoning that it was a way to generate fan excitement and move "inventory", and get some positive press for a franchise with zero NFL relevance. Here's to hoping Mario justifying that mammoth contract this year.

Just out of curiosity, what does he have to do to justify it? Before you answer, are you familiar with the type of player he's been throughout his career or is nothing less than having the most sacks gonna do it for you?

GO BILLS!!!

Just out of curiosity, what does he have to do to justify it? Before you answer, are you familiar with the type of player he's been throughout his career or is nothing less than having the most sacks gonna do it for you?

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not a person hung up on stats. At all! But yes I am familiar with him pre-Bills. I also remember his Houston MO of taking plays off. For two examples watch the last Fish and Jets game last year. he took both of the entire games off. Was it out of disgust at the coaching? Maybe. If so not good. Like I said I hope he justifies his obscene contract this year. Looking back at the first jets game he was man handled by a jets scrub one on one. But, the apologists will point out his limp wrist, just like Fitz's "rib" injury the year before.

I actually like the man, he's just overpaid and not even near the top at his position if you're someone who is into stats, and ranks players that way. I want too see him disrupt, and have to be accountable on every play by opposing OC's. Last year that didn't happen.

I'm not a person hung up on stats. At all! But yes I am familiar with him pre-Bills. I also remember his Houston MO of taking plays off. For two examples watch the last Fish and Jets game last year. he took both of the entire games off. Was it out of disgust at the coaching? Maybe. If so not good. Like I said I hope he justifies his obscene contract this year. Looking back at the first jets game he was man handled by a jets scrub one on one. But, the apologists will point out his limp wrist, just like Fitz's "rib" injury the year before.

I actually like the man, he's just overpaid and not even near the top at his position if you're someone who is into stats, and ranks players that way. I want too see him disrupt, and have to be accountable on every play by opposing OC's. Last year that didn't happen.

actually Nix said something like we signed him because we thought he was the best option to help the team but don't expect him to play up to his contract, he can't, no one could.

Wanny killed any hope of having a good defense, 1997 plays & simple schemes don't work anymore.

exactly and yes i hope so too

actually Nix said something like we signed him because we thought he was the best option to help the team but don't expect him to play up to his contract, he can't, no one could.

genius Nix on that. bleeeechh.

i just want him to play up to standards expected from a guy that WAS a pro bowler.

I actually like the man,

i dont Edited by 3rdand12

If I was the Bills I would make this offer.

You are unwilling to move from your position that your client should be the highest paid safety in the league and we are unwilling to meet that demand. So we are at an impasse. Therefore, you have the teams permission to seek a trade with one of the other 31 teams in the league but under specific conditions. We will trade your client to another team, and expect compensation of a 1st round draft choice in return, but the contract with that other team must make your client the highest paid safety in the league. And the contact must be structured and administered in what is considered standard and normal terms. If after 2 weeks you are not able to work such a deal with another team then you agree to come back to the bargaining table and act in good faith to reach and agreement that is acceptable and fair to both parties. That will settle the value argument and move towards some resolution.

Exactly.

Allowing Parker to seek a trade within certain parameters would settle the issue of Byrd's market value.

Well done.

Yeah, until we sign the biggest name FA to a $100mil contact, I wont believe it... Oh wait...

Don't let facts get in the way of facile prejudice.

Edited by AJ1

Maybe we should make everyone from last seaeon's defense the highest paid for being a complete failure as a unit ?? Then if we get near .500 & they crack the top 25 teams, we can have an automatic doubling of their pay.

A different idea is pay based on success as a unit, which usually is the reason you reward successful people. Parker is off his rocker & Byrd has lead the league in nothing over the past 3 years. Victor Cruz lead WR's in all categories the past 2 years & took less than Byrd wanted, at a much more crucial position. Drop the hometown discount BS there, he's more than going to make it up in outside pay (commercials / marketing deals).

Goodluck to Byrd & Parker on their quest, it's off the hook crazy talk.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown