Geno Smith "not overwhelming"

I don't know, this just strikes me as someone trying to stir the pot in a slow news period for the NFL. If they wanted to, they could do the same for us by pointing out that EJ is "getting the fewest reps of all the QBs except for Tuel, indicating the first-rounder might be a long way from being ready to start at QB for the Bills."

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. It's a lazy column that does nothing but attract click throughs..

OTAs are glorified gym class. The 'tell' will come once training camp opens....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we actually best these guys in the division before enjoying a nice tall glass of Schadenfreude?

Give me a !@#$ break.

It is in our best interests to see Geno be just good enough to beat the Pats and Dolphins now and then, and I hate both teams exponentially more than the Jets. Maybe some of this is Smith's own doing, but I sincerely believe the media is locked and loaded for this guy because the Jets have been such an easy target the past few years and they don't want to give up the fun.

Since everyone is coming clean, I thought EJ manuel was by far the best prospect in the draft. Man, now I REALLY hope I guessed correctly.

Of course I also thought Keapernick was going to fizzle out, Russell Wilson would have a Flutie like career, Culter would get the boot in Chicago, no team would pick up Kolb, T-Jax would never seriously be considered for a starting job, AND Cam Newton would struggle to lead a football team.

That my friends is why I don't offer this stuff up for a living!!

Let's hope this is a case of the blind squirrell finding the nut!

1 I thought it was a extremely weak years for QBs

2.. I thought Smith had the best chance of starting in his first year but at his absolute best had Romo level ability

3. I thought EJ Manuel had the most upside but that his game still had a long way to go

Overall I'd probably pass on all the QBs and would have taken Tyler Eifert with the 16th pick but I understand the desire to take a QB and Manuel was my favorite pick among the QBs available, a big swing for the fences which I'm really hope gets us back into the game.

Also - could we see some of these reports of Russell Wilson overwhelming everybody at OTAs? My memory is that it was a pretty neck and neck (and neck) race among the three contenders until the preseason games came along, and even after that it was Flynn's injury that sealed the deal. Sounds like revisionist history to suit a narrative to me (which PFT is no stranger to).

Since everyone is coming clean, I thought EJ manuel was by far the best prospect in the draft. Man, now I REALLY hope I guessed correctly.

Of course I also thought Keapernick was going to fizzle out, Russell Wilson would have a Flutie like career, Culter would get the boot in Chicago, no team would pick up Kolb, T-Jax would never seriously be considered for a starting job, AND Cam Newton would struggle to lead a football team.

That my friends is why I don't offer this stuff up for a living!!

Even the best gms are hit and miss. There's a real element of luck. I like geno as a player but this nyj situation is the worst possible, as indicated by the daily national news stories on his OTAs

Wait... Geno not blowing people away at OTAs is a big concern... but EJ not blowing away people at OTAs is non-news?

Yeah, this is just the media trying to troll up some drama for the league's most "interesting team". Non-story.

Wait... Geno not blowing people away at OTAs is a big concern... but EJ not blowing away people at OTAs is non-news?

Yeah, this is just the media trying to troll up some drama for the league's most "interesting team". Non-story.

The Buffalo coaching staff has been "happy" I guess is how I will describe it with EJ. Geno is only relevant to the media because A. he was supposed to be a top 10 pick, B. Isn't on the Bills (because mass media could care less about us) C. is on the Jets (media eats them up)

Close but not quite.

Two days before Marrone showered praise on EJ in his clumsily-worded and much-discussed comments about EJ being (paraphrasing) "the most advanced young QB I've seen in my NFL experience" Marrone was asked to affirm the idea that Kevin Kolb was farther along in picking up the offense than the other QBs.

http://www.buffalobi...34-9f1364b52a2d

Said Marrone, "I think Kevin has done a nice job… but I think EJ Manuel and Tavares have done a good job… again Tavares and Kevin having experience you'd think that they'd feel very comfortable in those situations but I've been very, very happy and even… I don't want to say surprised because we had high expectations but I think EJ's done a very, very good job… so for us it's gonna be tough making decisions on reps as we move forward."

So Marrone has been effusive in his praise of EJ, to the point that after those comments were made, the Vegas odds of EJ winning Offensive Rookie of the Year went from 10-1 to 6-1, behind only Tavon Austin.

So this is not a case of Bills homers having a double standard. From what we know from coaches and media, EJ has done an excellent job so far and Geno has not particularly impressed.

FWIW.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

While ill say SJBFs generally right, I will say Rex and the OC have contradicted each other a bit- sometimes on the same player the same day....which only adds to the media sideshow, and I'm assuming confusion on expectations/achievements in the eyes of players, fans, and media.

Add the lack of talent on the team and it looks to be a rough year for the jets.

I got paired with a kid on the golf course a couple of weeks ago. He just finished his junior year at WVU and had a class with Geno Smith this past year.

He said: "I didn't realize who he was at first... mainly because he was so dumb. I mean, I actually thought he was some sort of a special needs kid. When he spoke, he was very hard to understand. Good for him, he'll make some money. But this guy cannot be good for the Jets."

lol@Jets

I said it last year, and it's even more true this year -- name one team with worse offensive skill players as a group than the NY Jets. While I'm not high on Geno, I also think he benefits from not having to lead that group of misfits. Let Sanchez crash and burn, and next season when they have a new HC he'll have a fresh start. Would be the best thing for him.

Ok so lets see if I got this right ... Geno is a bust and EJ is a major talent.

Of course all of this being before day 1 of camp :)

You don't get it. It is our job to rip anything that has to do with the Jests...we hate them and wish the team and all their players coaches and staff nothing but bad luck and bad performances. I would think that after your 5000 posts you may have figured out this is a pro Bills venue...but then again a Jests fan can't read as I hear it. So get it straight...Geno Smith = Bust......EJ = HOF