Draft Compensation Picks/Legursky Signing

jtewy

Just curious if anyone knows......how will the Doug Legursky signing impact next year's potential Draft Compensation picks? I know there are some of you out there who are somewhat resident experts on this subject. Before his signing, I felt like we had a strong case for a decent Compensation Pick, but I'm no expert. It seems some what trivial, but we're in the rebuilding stage, any help we can get with draft picks can help--especially if it's an end of the 3rd Round or 4th Round Compensation Pick. Thanks!

Just curious if anyone knows......how will the Doug Legursky signing impact next year's potential Draft Compensation picks? I know there are some of you out there who are somewhat resident experts on this subject. Before his signing, I felt like we had a strong case for a decent Compensation Pick, but I'm no expert. It seems some what trivial, but we're in the rebuilding stage, any help we can get with draft picks can help--especially if it's an end of the 3rd Round or 4th Round Compensation Pick. Thanks!

It has zero impact. I'd explain it myself, but why go through the effort when PFT has done it so succinctly?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/teams-pass-on-chance-to-squat-on-160-ufas/

And because Pittsburgh didn't tender Legursky:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/ufas-not-tendered-by-june-1-dont-count-in-compensatory-pick-formula/

It has zero impact. I'd explain it myself, but why go through the effort when PFT has done it so succinctly?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/teams-pass-on-chance-to-squat-on-160-ufas/

And because Pittsburgh didn't tender Legursky:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/ufas-not-tendered-by-june-1-dont-count-in-compensatory-pick-formula/

so essentially the qualified signing period is from start of free agency to june 1st. Might have something to do with the wait til this week as opposed to the much discussed "seeing what they had at OTAs." Depending on the balance we were sitting at his signing might have cost us a solid pick had it occured in may.

if someone has the lists signed/expired for us, its pretty easy to ballpark the pick(s) we will receive.

Offhand:

Signed: Lawson, branch

lost and signed elsewhere: Levitre, Rhinehart edit: moore(?)

cuts that dont qualify: fitz, wilson, barnett

signed cuts that dont: Kolb

expired contracts that didnt find a new team: thigpen, corey mac, spencer johnson

non tendered RFAs that dont count: jones, nelson

Edited by NoSaint

Thank you so much for the responses. Don't forget that we lost Kyle Moore to the Bears to add to your lost and signed elsewhere list.

I didn't know the rule about June 1. So essentially anyone we sign or lose that were Unrestricted Free Agents from here on out won't impact the Compensatory Picks? It sounds like those are in the books, we just have to wait to see what the league decides to award next March.

I also didn't know Legursky was non-tendered by Pittsburgh, which would mean he automatically won't count against our signings as far as Compensatory Picks are concerned.

As of now, I think we've got a strong case for a 3rd Round pick for Levitre--a 4th at worst.

Thank you so much for the responses. Don't forget that we lost Kyle Moore to the Bears to add to your lost and signed elsewhere list.

I didn't know the rule about June 1. So essentially anyone we sign or lose that were Unrestricted Free Agents from here on out won't impact the Compensatory Picks? It sounds like those are in the books, we just have to wait to see what the league decides to award next March.

I also didn't know Legursky was non-tendered by Pittsburgh, which would mean he automatically won't count against our signings as far as Compensatory Picks are concerned.

As of now, I think we've got a strong case for a 3rd Round pick for Levitre--a 4th at worst.

well, we only qualify for any picks if we have lost more bodies. So levitres contract would qualify that high assuming that the team itself ends up qualifying by losing more players than signed.

and from reading the link, if i understand correctly, he wasnt offered a June 1 tender, so if we signed him last week it wouldve counted against us while signing him this week does not. likely why teams became interested in him within the last week, and nothing to do with OTAs as some speculated (assuming i read that right).

we really dont have to wait til next year if i am properly understanding the June 1 rule. the projections are cake once you have the list of qualified players. right now i have us even in my earlier post, but im near positive im forgetting people. if we ended even, we would only be eligible for a 7th despite levitres pay day.

edit: just saw your moore comment - good call. and a good chance he counted if i remember correct. that would put us -1, and levitre likely being the one that doesnt cancel with a signing to match. i dont recall the cutoff from last year between the 3rd and 4th, but its simply dollars per year average that they use (despite pretending its a big secret)

Edited by NoSaint

Hopefully we have it correct on here in expecting us to be -1 in terms of signings that qualify. I believe that to be accurate. If so, the Levitre loss should be the one that we are rewarded for. If that's the case, we will end up with a 3rd or 4th. Hopefully a 3rd. That would be huge for us. Any time you can get picks in the first 3 Rounds, you should be able to get a starter-quality player, if not an important role player. That would give us 4 picks in the first 3 Rounds next year if we happen to get a 3rd Round Compensatory Pick for Levitre.

i count 4.......donald jones,andy levitre,kyle moore and chad rhinehart.......we might get a couple of comp picks......how sweet

I don't think Jones counts as he was an RFA who was not tendered.

I don't think Jones counts as he was an RFA who was not tendered.

correct, jones and nelson were non-tenders. we do not get rewarded because we chose not to hold their rights. they couldnt leave without us letting them.

The Bills have lost 5 UFA's and signed 2 UFA's that would count towards the comp picks (i.e. not Legursky). They should get a 3rd rounder and probably a couple 7th rounder.

if you have 5, feel free to share, thats more than anyone else has gotten up to in the thread.

correct, jones and nelson were non-tenders. we do not get rewarded because we chose not to hold their rights. they couldnt leave without us letting them.

if you have 5, feel free to share, thats more than anyone else has gotten up to in the thread.

My mistake. David Nelson was only in the league for 3 years.

My mistake. David Nelson was only in the league for 3 years.

no prob - i realized it sounded a bit short on my part re-reading it. i do have a knack for dropping names off lists, but i was stumped on who else it couldve been.

It amazes me how much they have complicated what in theory should be a simple process.

But I guess this falls under the category of trying to achieve parity in the league.

Are another one of NFLs great ideas to keep the league and its actions a mystery and generate more intrigue. Who knows, in a few decades, we could see the NFL hosting a compensatory-pick-day at Radio City Hall where they would announce who gets what pick and have a big panel of ESPN, NFL Network trying to predict what compensation the next team will achieve and then predicting what player the team would draft in the upcoming draft with that pick and then comparing that player against the lost player(s).......

Damn -- I just saw Nate Clements is completely unrestricted and unsigned? At the risk of being one of "those guys" I'll ask -- is he worth bringing in on a very green secondary?

Edited by eball

Damn -- I just saw Nate Clements is completely unrestricted and unsigned? At the risk of being one of "those guys" I'll ask -- is he worth bringing in on a very green secondary?

Maybe as a backup safety, which is where he finished with Cincinnati last year.

Nate was never a shutdown corner, a B player at best here. Sf got hosed when they signed him....he is old and below average today. We can do better.

The funny thing about Nate is that with his size, speed, athleticism and hitting ability, there's a chance that he could have been an awesome safety.

But because cornerbacks get paid more, he had no interest in making the position switch.

Had he made a few Pro Bowls as a safety, there would probably be some interest in his services.

A comparable athlete, Ronnie Lott was wise enough to switch to safety in 1985, his 5th year in the league. Lott ended up playing 15 seasons in the NFL.

The funny thing about Nate is that with his size, speed, athleticism and hitting ability, there's a chance that he could have been an awesome safety.

But because cornerbacks get paid more, he had no interest in making the position switch.

Had he made a few Pro Bowls as a safety, there would probably be some interest in his services.

A comparable athlete, Ronnie Lott was wise enough to switch to safety in 1985, his 5th year in the league. Lott ended up playing 15 seasons in the NFL.

To be fair, Clements has played 12 himself. if he tacks on one more short deal hes matched that.