Tornado intercept video INSANE!

The explosion you see after the 2min mark is insane. Absolutely crazy.

I'm sure it's because of science somehow but anyone that goes out in that has got to be crazy.

It's actually for a IMAX movie. Sean Casey has been looking for this shot for about 10 years. Google TIV2 and you'll see the vehicle.

Reed Timmer chases in the same type of vehicle too, but he does more research and uses the footage he films to fund it.

Definition of dumb ass if you ask me.

This was one of the safest and most respected guys out there. He was all about research, not one of those idiot thrill seekers. He knew it was a dangerous profession, but his research was invaluable. These guys are trying to learn why certain storms develop tornados and improve warnings for the public. His research will help contribute to saving more lives then the three that were lost that day. Hardly a dumbass.

This was one of the safest and most respected guys out there. He was all about research, not one of those idiot thrill seekers. He knew it was a dangerous profession, but his research was invaluable. These guys are trying to learn why certain storms develop tornados and improve warnings for the public. His research will help contribute to saving more lives then the three that were lost that day. Hardly a dumbass.

I remember him from the TV show...he was impressively safety-conscious. If anyone were to get the chop, he's the last I would have expected (I'm surprised it wasn't Reed Timmer - yes, I looked it up. He was reckless as hell.)

But hey...it's an inherently dangerous pastime. Safety-conscious doesn't mean safe - he knew the risks, bad luck he rolled yahtzee this time around.

So his research is to drive as close to 150 MPHy winds as possible? Sorry, dumbass in my book.

So his research is to drive as close to 150 MPHy winds as possible? Sorry, dumbass in my book.

Yes, it was. He deployed sensors to capture readings inside of the tornados. He stayed as far away as possible (granted, given the nature of his research required risk) and would often refuse to deploy his sensors if there was any question about his teams safety. He was doing this for a cause, not because he was a thrill seeking yahoo like some of the chasing idiots.

Is a fireman a dumbass because they run into burning buildings? Are the hurricane hunters dumb for flying into hurricanes to collect data to warn coastal residents? They're doing it to save people as well.

This tornado made an unexpected turn to the north when it was pulled into the core of the storm and caught even the best off guard. I do agree with the fact that 98% of the chasers out there are dumbasses and shouldn't be there, in fact they make it more dangerous for the legit researchers. These guys weren't part of that 98% though.