Even the great Ozzie Newsome makes mistakes…

Flacco made a crazy gamble and it turned out in his favor. He doesn't turn in an amazing post season and his deal isn't close to what it is now.

Newsome made a wise move. The QB is the one player you can afford to pay and inflated price to if you lose the gamble. Newsome lost the gamble and won a superbowl.

Bingo. Agent is just running his mouth at this point.

+1

that's the one bet newsome was glad to lose.

I don't even consider flacco to be in the top 10 of QB's in the league, and i pretty sure newsome didnt think so either. flacco forced himself up there $$ wise with that Super Bowl run. Odds are he will never be there again.

Really? I disagree.

Eh. This franchise is paying for signing a QB who was/is a backup. I would much rather be where the Ravens are. If Newsome is as good as advertised he'll replace those players with less expensive options. He rolled the dice and Flacco's success cost them after a SB win. The Bills rolled the dice and Fitzpatrick's lack of success cost the team 3 years, minimum (especially when combined with no QBs in the draft until this April).

Flacco is what he is...an average at best QB during the regular season that transforms his game big time in the playoffs. If you are counting on him to get you to the playoffs,like Brady, Manning or Rodgers could do, you are going to he disappointed. If you surround him with players that can help him get to the playoffs, he will take over. Exactly the reason he isn't worth all that money...he needs a lot more help than elite or even very good QBs do to make the playoffs

If Ozzie Newsome makes mistakes, what does that make the tenures of Donahoe, Marv, Brandon, and Nix?

And if the standard of excellence is perfection, every GM falls short. Bills fans can only dream of having a QB worthy of re-signing with the team after winning in the post-season.

Flacco is what he is...an average at best QB during the regular season that transforms his game big time in the playoffs. If you are counting on him to get you to the playoffs,like Brady, Manning or Rodgers could do, you are going to he disappointed. If you surround him with players that can help him get to the playoffs, he will take over. Exactly the reason he isn't worth all that money...he needs a lot more help than elite or even very good QBs do to make the playoffs

You mean like Jim Kelly? His stats are not an order of magnitude better than Flacco's. And I guess Eli Manning won't ever get that huge contract either.

And while you may pay a ton of money for Peyton Manning to "get you to the playoffs", you need to ask for a lot of that money back since he goes one and done in the playoffs so often. I would rather pay for a guy who wins in the playoffs than pay for a guy who is king of the regular season.

You mean like Jim Kelly? His stats are not an order of magnitude better than Flacco's. And I guess Eli Manning won't ever get that huge contract either.

Totally different eras.

The Ravens made a mistake alright, but it wasn't not signing Flacco earlier. The mistake they made was giving him his current deal. I would have given him the non-exlusive tag and kept him for one more year till a better QB class, and if somebody wants to give two first round picks and sign him away then by all means take him.

First of all Flacco wil never see all that money. It is a 3 year deal and both sides know it. Flacco has three more years to prove he shoul dget another big deal.

Reed is old. Bouldin is overrated and easily replaced. Lewis was retiring anyways.

With the QB spot locked up for three years Newsome can focus the draft on support players.

And I wouldn't be shocked if Byrd is playing FS for them in 2014.

I do not see how his signing impacts the cap this year or even next year, so blaming his contract for the lost players seems like a reach.

"Actually, Flacco’s cap number will be ridiculously low. Peter King of Sports Illustrated pegs it at a paltry $6.8 million for 2013"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/flaccos-cap-numbers-stay-low-in-2013-and-2014/

The Ravens made a mistake alright, but it wasn't not signing Flacco earlier. The mistake they made was giving him his current deal. I would have given him the non-exlusive tag and kept him for one more year till a better QB class, and if somebody wants to give two first round picks and sign him away then by all means take him.

Mind boggling. Ravens fans worldwide are giving thanks you don't make decisions.

Eli Manning is an average QB who raises his game in the playoffs and has 2 SB to boot. Of course, everyone annoits Eli as a Franchise QB and a Top 5 QB in the league. I don't see any difference between Eli and Flaccoo. Both are extremely good game managers who have that extra gear for the playoffs.

Any QB who is surrounded with great players will win the big games. In fact, one has to criticize Brady for not winning those two super bowls for the talent he had and the talent he faced (Those Giant teams were an average-mill-of-the-run teams. In fact, that same Giant team was almost ready to lose to the Bills on a cold and rainy day at Orchard park, but the Bills blew a big lead and committed mistakes in the 2nd half when Eli threw for 30 yards but won the game.).

Joe Linta comes across as a huge Dbag from that story.

What has he proven, that he got his QB the going rate for being a SB winning qb? ok, so what...

Also the fact that he tries to compare himself to 'us' with the $100 remark is just arrogance. What did Joe make off the Flacco deal?

Probably $5mil? maybe more?

And who knows how many things the Ravens had conceeded on before the $1mil Joe is talking about? Maybe Joe had gone to them half a dozen times before this and said ' ok, if you agree to this i think we got a deal'? At some point you have to draw a line in the sand.

Anyways i will take Newsome 10 out of 10 times as a GM over anything the Bills have had since Polians tenure. Even then i will probably take Newsome, he has two rings...