Players seem to be really taking to this new coaching staff and believ

so is it wrong to be optimistic and support the team we love, and it's players, or just plain stupid? i'm confused, can you help me out here?

According to some, the only right way is to hate everything about the team, find something wrong with everything, get excited about nothing, and then talk down to the people that do get excited and have a positive outlook.

You guys don't understand.

Al Cowlings is a troll. Look at his post history.

He's a **** disturber who just makes negative comments to cause unrest.

That's all he does and that's all he ever does.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so is it wrong to be optimistic and support the team we love, and it's players, or just plain stupid? i'm confused, can you help me out here?

Groundhog Day.....we went through this last year. Though the players hadn't played a down, they "looked great on paper"!!!! I was skeptical, having experienced the yearly off-season hype too many times. Rob Johnson, Bledsoe, T.O., Mario, etc, etc, etc. Every year some new messiah of a player or coach gets all the Bills failthful amped up to where they start believing this is the year the Bills finally turn it around. Last year around this time I changed my avatar to the "on paper" trophy. Well, we all know what happened last year. Same old same old. So now we've got a rookie QB and coach and they're going to steal the division title away from Brady and Belichick? I'll take that bet. Nothing wrong with being optimistic, but that doesn't mean we should heap unearned praise on a squad and coaching staff that haven't proven anything. Maybe hopeful would be a better position than optimistic. To re-fry my analogy from last year.....Is Charlie Brown optimistic or a frigging idiot for thinking Lucy will actually hold the damn football instead of pulling it out so he can fall on his back? If I'm Charile Brown, I kick the be-yotch right between the camel toes and be done with it.

Groundhog Day.....we went through this last year. Though the players hadn't played a down, they "looked great on paper"!!!! I was skeptical, having experienced the yearly off-season hype too many times. Rob Johnson, Bledsoe, T.O., Mario, etc, etc, etc. Every year some new messiah of a player or coach gets all the Bills failthful amped up to where they start believing this is the year the Bills finally turn it around. Last year around this time I changed my avatar to the "on paper" trophy. Well, we all know what happened last year. Same old same old. So now we've got a rookie QB and coach and they're going to steal the division title away from Brady and Belichick? I'll take that bet. Nothing wrong with being optimistic, but that doesn't mean we should heap unearned praise on a squad and coaching staff that haven't proven anything. Maybe hopeful would be a better position than optimistic. To re-fry my analogy from last year.....Is Charlie Brown optimistic or a frigging idiot for thinking Lucy will actually hold the damn football instead of pulling it out so he can fall on his back? If I'm Charile Brown, I kick the be-yotch right between the camel toes and be done with it.

the difference, as i see it here, is that i really don't believe that the bills are lucy pulling the football away. i really think that they are trying to bring a winner back to western ny.

the difference, as i see it here, is that i really don't believe that the bills are lucy pulling the football away. i really think that they are trying to bring a winner back to western ny.

And how is that different than every other year? The only difference between Lucy and The Bills are intent with malice (Lucy) and incompetence (Bills office). Same results.

You guys don't understand.

Al Cowlings is a troll. Look at his post history.

He's a **** disturber who just makes negative comments to cause unrest.

That's all he does and that's all he ever does.

So due to the fact that I am not sold on a unproven and unsuccessful college coach, a projected third round QB, and basically the same team that got their butts handed to them by every winning team they played-I am a troll.

Look back to how everyone was so amped about Gailey and Wanny last year at this time-plus the bust of a free agent Williams. Am I wrong? Just stating the fact that the Bills front office must be geniuses that they can sell this garbage to the fans and they keep on coming for more (except in Nov/Dec when the blackouts start again.)

Oh please...the players said the same things about Gailey, Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron... Can we wait until the games are played? Do you think Tom Brady will be scared or fooled by Rex Ryan's understudy? Will anyone fear an offense more simple than Florida State's which is run by a guy actually named Jimbo???

I dunno...did they fear the KGun under Kelly or Peyton's offense in Indy? Both were very simple offenses utilizing only a handful of plays ran to perfection

Look at last year's comments at this time. There were fools buying T-Shirts that read "Yes We Chan." 'Wanny" was considered the next coming. Than of course there was the signing of "Super Mario," the next Bruce Smith-he was going to make Brady have nightmares!! Instead he was contemplating suicide before a NE game.

Now we have this great college genius, the guy who sent shivers up and down the great Big East conference. Keep drinking the Kool Aid-Brandon has some easy marks in WNY.

You mean rah-rah college geniuses like Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh at USC and Stanford right?

So due to the fact that I am not sold on a unproven and unsuccessful college coach, a projected third round QB, and basically the same team that got their butts handed to them by every winning team they played-I am a troll.

Look back to how everyone was so amped about Gailey and Wanny last year at this time-plus the bust of a free agent Williams. Am I wrong? Just stating the fact that the Bills front office must be geniuses that they can sell this garbage to the fans and they keep on coming for more (except in Nov/Dec when the blackouts start again.)

No, the fact that you refer to optimism regarding the current regime as "garbage" makes you a troll.

this team won't win three games.

Link?

No. It does entitle me to gleefully chortle at you, though. :devil:

Mostly, I marvel at how people can hear the SAME thing every year for more than a decade, but think "Oh, but this time it's different." It's not any sense of superiority that motivates my snickering, as much as a sense of wonder at the vaguely delusional annual triumph of hope over any remotely sane reckoning of reality.

So it can never, ever be different then, right? Makes sense....

Look at last year's comments at this time. There were fools buying T-Shirts that read "Yes We Chan." 'Wanny" was considered the next coming. Than of course there was the signing of "Super Mario," the next Bruce Smith-he was going to make Brady have nightmares!! Instead he was contemplating suicide before a NE game.

Now we have this great college genius, the guy who sent shivers up and down the great Big East conference. Keep drinking the Kool Aid-Brandon has some easy marks in WNY.

There was much rejoicing when 'The 'Stach' was given the keys to the best DL in football. :lol:

It ain't different until it's ACTUALLY different.

If the Bills were to win the Superbowl this year, the changes made in the offseason would have something to do with it. The fact that we've been fooled before does not render coaching changes, free agency, the draft, and training camp completely meaningless. I understand saying I've been fooled before and I have no confidence in my ability to tell false hope from legitimate improvement so I'll wait and see. But not everyone will share your lack of confidence in their own evaluation.

If Marrone is destined to be a wild success, that process has already begun. If Marrone is destined to be another failure, that process has already begun too. Either way we'll be able to look back and say 'we should've known right away because of x and y.' I completely understand people trying to get a jump on that and forming an opinion at this early stage on what we have here.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

No. It does entitle me to gleefully chortle at you, though. :devil:

Mostly, I marvel at how people can hear the SAME thing every year for more than a decade, but think "Oh, but this time it's different." It's not any sense of superiority that motivates my snickering, as much as a sense of wonder at the vaguely delusional annual triumph of hope over any remotely sane reckoning of reality.

Just funnin' with ya! :nana:

I think he means until they actually start winning more games than they are losing. Is it that hard to figure out?

Oh, I thought by "different" he meant "different", since the thread was started to discuss the way the players are taking to the current regime.

I didn't realize that by "different", he meant "better in September". If so, it's kind of dumb to say that things are the same, since nobody can gauge that yet.

But then again, I tend to try to view things as they are, and not as I expect them to be.

The opinion is always the same in the offseason.

For the most part it was when Jauron and Gailey were first hired. A positive spin on everything from the fans. People blame Russ for this, but IMO, Russ doesn't do his job any differently than other Marketing guys in sports, its simply the people of Buffalo are so easily gullible/in need of something positive, they will find anything positive to make themselves feel better.

Or we just don't want to be miserable about the team. Optimism is perfectly okay, pessimism is not a virtue, and "realism" is just pessimism from people that don't want to admit it.

I think fans being realistic are simply waiting for the season to start before jumping to conclusions while having in the back of their mind the past decade.

I view things as they are as well, we still have the same people well involved in the front office that were 3 years ago, and for the most part the last decade. Why should I believe anything has changed? I will believe it when I see it.

No, realistic fans would say that yes, things are different (since pretty much everyone running every part of the team is different than they were 3 years ago), but not necessarily better.

And the bolded is patently incorrect. Doug Whaley is the GM, not Buddy Nix. The Director of College Scouting and Director of Pro Personnel are brand new guys that were just hired. The entire scouting department was expanded and revamped over the past 2 years. Tom Modrak is no longer with the team. Ralph Wilson is no longer the chief decision maker.

In fact, just about the only guys that are still around are Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf; guys that really play very small roles in the football side of things (a myth that was largely dispelled with the Mario Williams signing).

So, as much as you'd like to believe you view things as they are, the fact of the matter is that you do not, if indeed you believe that the same people are running things in the front office. It's simply not true.

The opinion is always the same in the offseason.

its simply the people of Buffalo are so easily gullible/in need of something positive, they will find anything positive to make themselves feel better.

This is stupid. Is it your contention that the people of Boston, from 1919 till 2003, were easily gullible? Sports fans everywhere are the same. They want to feel good about their team. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with "the people of Buffalo".

Edited by Thurmal34

another thing we have to remember is som eof the players saying these things are trying to get in the good graces of the new staff.

Now i am not saying Mario or Stevie are guys that are in danger of getting cut, but they want to get along with the new staff.

I agree we have heard the same song and dance for a long time, and have little production to show for it. I do believe this regime is different than Gailey's time here. I knew from watching him at GT what type of coach he was. he was never going to win a SB. I was hoping he would get the Bills back to maybe playoff ball...

this team won't win three games.

Totally agree. They'll win 8 ! My hope and expectation is a .500 season with marked improvement shown on all 3 aspects...O, D and ST.

I figure we won 6 games last year. I can think of a couple of play calls by Chan that may have lost us a game...or even two.

Also, I just have to believe the defense will be improved this year. There's another Victory , or maybe even two.

I expect better play at the QB position, and better usage of CJ this year, especially with some fast deep threats to keep defenses honest, a luxury we didnt have with Fitz toward the end of his tenure.

Thats my reasoning for an improved season over last year, even though our schedule does look on the tough side on paper.

Hell yea...I'm pretty upbeat. Win or lose...I'll watch every game.

jb