So I don't get to the Wall much any more

:D

My take, if anyone's interested:

The question will be 'Can JP NOT lose games for us next year?'. The identity of the team Mularkey is building is 180 degrees away from Drew's strengths. A power running/quick passing game is not what Drew does. Even without much duress he has trouble with short/touch passes, which I think contributed to the high number of drops this year.

BUT... If Losman isn't able to make up for lost time and be effective in that type of offense, we have to stick with Bledsoe.

Joe Ferguson's rookie year was almost entirely handing off to OJ but look what a gunslinger he turned out to be. Maybe Losman will be the same way.

I wouldn't even bother making any predictions til August on this one.

:lol:

The question will be 'Can JP NOT lose games for us next year?'.  The identity of the team Mularkey is building is 180 degrees away from Drew's strengths.  A power running/quick passing game is not what Drew does.  Even without much duress he has trouble with short/touch passes, which I think contributed to the high number of drops this year.

BUT... If Losman isn't able to make up for lost time and be effective in that type of offense, we have to stick with Bledsoe.

Joe Ferguson's rookie year was almost entirely handing off to OJ but look what a gunslinger he turned out to be.  Maybe Losman will be the same way.

201082[/snapback]

Agreed...It's all on JP now...If he works hard and REALLY improves, the job is his for the taking...If not, it's more less-than-average at QB in 2005... :D

The question will be 'Can JP NOT lose games for us next year?'.

201082[/snapback]

Yes, but wasn't the question every week this past season 'Can Drew NOT lose games for us this year?"

Sorry, much as I like Drew, I want to remember the feeling of having a QB on our team who can actually do more than just not lose games.

One of the interesting things I noted while reviewing an old Bills videotape from the Kelly days is how much Kelly actually moved around, in and out of the pocket. Not only was he able to avoid the rush, but he was deadly accurate on the run. And this was a guy everybody thought of back then (in terms of scrambling ability) as a relative statue.

I don't relish the thought of turning the reigns over to an inexperienced, raw guy, but I'm eager to see this team start overachieving rather than underachieving.

"Talking about our QBs" might be a bannable offense.

Any criticism of Drew brings out a haranguing tirade of abuse from his violently committed supporters. It's like telling a new parent their baby is ugly. They have a visceral reaction that quickly gets irrational.

So, let's talk about upgrading every other position on the team - just rest assured that QB doesn't need upgrading because it's (cough-cough) in the very (hands shaking now) capable hands of the Drewish one. :w00t:

I have stated my position on Bledsoe ( thumbs down ) and will no longer participate in threads ripping on him. The horse is dead.

I did find out some info from someone who has a source at OBD. Losman was told to go home and relax for 3-4 weeks, then return to OBD in February to start working heavily with the Coaches. Read into it any way you want.

Just look back through any threads with 3 or more pages. Talking QB's generates the same arguments that it did in the pre-season. A lot of Drew sucks and your opinion sucks postings. Until we see how JP progresses in the offseason and training camp in the fall, it's all going to be speculation.

;)

The question will be 'Can JP NOT lose games for us next year?'.  The identity of the team Mularkey is building is 180 degrees away from Drew's strengths.  A power running/quick passing game is not what Drew does.  Even without much duress he has trouble with short/touch passes, which I think contributed to the high number of drops this year.

Joe Ferguson's rookie year was almost entirely handing off to OJ but look what a gunslinger he turned out to be.  Maybe Losman will be the same way.

201082[/snapback]

wow ! if you started 29 pages ago you might have a clue :w00t::w00t:

If the Bills could package a deal for a first round draft pick with Beldsoe or Henry, they should do it.

If not, and Bledsoe is still on the team, Loseman needs to know that he can win the starting job in Training camp and Bledsoe is going to have to either win the job or be content to be a backup.

I have stated my position on Bledsoe ( thumbs down ) and will no longer participate in threads ripping on him. The horse is dead.

I did find out some info from someone who has a source at OBD. Losman was told to go home and relax for 3-4 weeks, then return to OBD in February to start working heavily with the Coaches. Read into it any way you want.

201191[/snapback]

He's the annointed one. It's the offseason. Of course they tell him to take a break and come back in February. EVERYone is doing that. JP will of course get loads of work beacuse he is the future. There is nothing to read into.

201191[/snapback]

I believe this. It makes sense whereas they gave up a lot to get him.

That said, time will tell if he has what it takes to play in the NFL.

The problem is that people here have him pegged as a superstar and are comparing him to Favre, which is pretty silly imo.

Good to hear from you Jay!

The more i think about it, the more I like the idea of building a team around these three young studs (McGahee, JP and Evans) NOW! I guess the question I keep asking myself is what upside does Drew give me that merits him starting for another year over our (possible) franchise QB of the future.

Bledsoe only seems to be good for handing off and the long throw. Rubeo is right, his short passing game is just terrible. Bounce passes, overthrown screens, passes behind receivers... These things more than anything else Drew does are killing us.

It think JP can be taught to play a "safe" game as his skills are further developed.

I believe this. It makes sense whereas they gave up a lot to get him.

That said, time will tell if he has what it takes to play in the NFL.

The problem is that people here have him pegged as a superstar and are comparing him to Favre, which is pretty silly imo.

201257[/snapback]

Comparing him to anyone is silly. He has proven nothing. The Coaches want him back in Februray to spend months working at OBD, on film and reps in the Wilson Fieldhouse. That is NOT the norm for the entire roster. Most Vets will show up for 2-3 mini-camps and will work out at the stadium, if they live local. Otherwise, they have far more time off.

The message is clear. The Bills wish to see how Losman responds and whether he can be ready, come summer camp. It's up to him to realize he has an opportunity and to seize it.

"Talking about our QBs" might be a bannable offense.

Any criticism of Drew brings out a haranguing tirade of abuse from his violently committed supporters. It's like telling a new parent their baby is ugly. They have a visceral reaction that quickly gets irrational.

So, let's talk about upgrading every other position on the team - just rest assured that QB doesn't need upgrading because it's (cough-cough) in the very (hands shaking now) capable hands of the Drewish one. :w00t:

201186[/snapback]

Talking about the QBs is fine, especially when someone like Jay makes comments about the situation and doesn't attack anyone (on the board or on the team).

Jay, your point about how we are moving the identity of the team away from the strengths that DB has is excellent. I think Bledsoe did an adequate (sometimes OK, sometimes crappy) job fitting his square peg into that round hole this year. The game plan was not centered around his strengths -- what's left of them anyway.

I don't know that the current direction is game planned to JPL's strengths either. I just don't know enough about JP. The little that I've seen in preseason and games seems to be that he is more of a gunslinger, improviser -- not a ball control kind of guy. Time will tell.

If the Bills could package a deal for a first round draft pick with Beldsoe or Henry, they should do it.

T Bone... normally you seem sane. But I've got to wonder if you just didn't have a moment of temporay insanity.

There ain't a team or GM on the planet that I know of that would give up a number one for those two, let alone the salary albatross (at least in Bledsoe's case) that it would bring the team cutting that deal. Even Parcells ain't that stupid.

The Best we can hope for is a 3rd rounder for Henry... and that's only if the Bills don't include Bledsoe in the deal.... If Bledsoe has to be part of that deal, then we're talking a 7th rounder just to take Bledsoe off of the Bills hands. Everyone knows that by the Bills simply dumping Bledsoe and doing nothing else, it ends up being addition by subtraction.

:w00t:

201082[/snapback]

Who are you?