Time to visit your Farmers Market

boyst

Can't wait for our CSA and farmer's market to start up here. The one here in Salt Lake was tiny when I first moved here 15 years ago, now it's enormous.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

took about 4 of the chard leaves, chopped the stems and diced up some thick slab bacon and put them in the frying pan, after a couple minutes chopped up the bulbs of 2 of the spring onions and 4 toes of garlic chopped...let all that saute in the bacon drippings. once the stalks were tender, i added the chopped up leaves and the tops of the spring onions and poured some olive oil over the top, covered and lowered the heat for about 4 minutes....spiced it up after the heat was off and man oh man, that is as good as anything i have eaten....mmmmmm....mmmmmm.....

Actually pancetta or bacon and garlic go well with the chard.

I will make Kelly make me chards next week. Pork chops tonight.

I can't visit Farmers' Markets, farmers scare me. I'm not sure whether it is the orange wigs or the red noses or the oversized floppy shoes, but I just can't handle farmers.

I give you a 3 of 10. 3 for grammar and spelling + making me think of clowns which I like. But it was not that funny...

I will make Kelly make me chards next week. Pork chops tonight.

I give you a 3 of 10. 3 for grammar and spelling + making me think of clowns which I like. But it was not that funny...

My earliest memory is of me freaking out at a parade when the clowns came over. I was three. Mother effers freaked me out. Now I love the clown mazes at places like Knotts Scary Farms. So good.

I recommend mustard greens. They are so spicy and flavorful. Chard to me is boring. Or try broccoli rabe.

Supposedly, in my new landing spot (Rutland, Vermont) there is a year-round farmers market which is held downtown. I wonder how it is possible to sustain this during the winter months? I suspect, that during the winter months, it turns more into a craft market. We had a farmers market here in Fairbanks, Alaska but it's pretty much blows. Great falafel stand though...

Ended up getting soft shell crabs for the pasta. Jesus, every time I cook it ends up being enough for an army. I'm stuffed.

what kind of soft shells you all get on the west coast? Lordy, if its Dungeness one has to be enough for the just the two of you no?

Blues don't make it to the west coast do they?

what kind of soft shells you all get on the west coast? Lordy, if its Dungeness one has to be enough for the just the two of you no?

Blues don't make it to the west coast do they?

Actually they do and make it and make it very fresh. We'd get them all the time in the restaurant and they'd still be alive.

:lol: guess you'll be sitting by a cross dresser at the opener then :lol:

Kelly? She said she is looking forward to it - though she gets scared in large public places full of people.

I am glad you were going to be able to go, you had said you were not too sure about being available, IIRC.

@jboyst62: Do you recommend any markets in Charlotte? Took the family to one by the airport which I thought was pretty good.

How did I miss this? My bad. The one at Charlotte is pretty good, I also like the one up 85 in Kannapolis. There are some good grassfed beef farmers in the area. Charlotte, though, is really hurting to have a true farmers market like Greensboro. Greensboro has one of the best farmers markets I have ever seen.