Monos & Fisher - Whaley's First Changes

I guess this means he's keeping Tom Gibbons as pro personnel director?

Is that a demotion for him as well? I linked the Bills Front Office Chart, it looks like he's keeping his title. I wonder if it was a mutual decision like Buddy "I'm old, taking a step back" type of thing or if it was a demand. While both of them were hired by Buddy, they reported directly to Whaley, so I'd imagine he had a say in their hiring. It'll be interesting to see if him and Cook leave the organization soon.

http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

Hondo, thanks for posting.

Your welcome.

I've been wondering about Whaley role the past couple years and if, maybe, the reins had already been handed him before the draft in an evolutionary sort of way.

Apparently, not. Day One on the job he's making big changes and talking about implementing his own program. He seems to have a plan for improving the house that Nix built.

I know nothing about either of these guys. I feel like I should make statements about they guarantee success/failure of the Bills organization.

1) Do they remind you of anyone we despise? :(

2) Can their names be twisted into a euphimusm for losing? :(

3) Did they go to Harvard? :(

4) Can their names be twisted into a euphimism for a sexual organ? :w00t:

PTR

I know nothing about either of these guys. I feel like I should make statements about they guarantee success/failure of the Bills organization.

Well you can look at the teams they came from and deduct a couple of things. The Saints and Steelers both have won SB in the last 7 years. Both of these guys where part of those teams for the past 8+ years.

Do i know either of those guys? Nope. Whaley does though and if you support Whaley you should support them. Personally i am 50/50 on Whaley so we shall see...

I'm just happy that Doug isn't Buddy Junior. He's going off in his own direction. I don't if that's good or bad but after 13 years of misery, I want something new.

New GM, new HC, new OC, new DC, new QB. I'm about as happy as I can be right now.

I'm just happy that Doug isn't Buddy Junior. He's going off in his own direction. I don't if that's good or bad but after 13 years of misery, I want something new.

New GM, new HC, new OC, new DC, new QB. I'm about as happy as I can be right now.

In a way he is Buddy Jr. to the consternation of some. Think about it:

-He's given jobs to his buddies, but hasn't fired anyone now, when he could;

-With the exception of moving the prior director of scouting to nat'l scout, people w/in the org have been given promotions as well (CJ Leak, from practice squad TE to scout in a scant 5 years)

-One of their main methods of information acquisition outside of scouts, BLESTO is still going to be utilized, much like they do at Pitt.

He may be short the quotes and drawl, but Doug seems to be extending rooms in the house so to speak, not knocking the thing down.

Well you can look at the teams they came from and deduct a couple of things. The Saints and Steelers both have won SB in the last 7 years. Both of these guys where part of those teams for the past 8+ years.

Do i know either of those guys? Nope. Whaley does though and if you support Whaley you should support them. Personally i am 50/50 on Whaley so we shall see...

I'd rather deduce.

In a way he is Buddy Jr. to the consternation of some. Think about it:

-He's given jobs to his buddies, but hasn't fired anyone now, when he could;

-With the exception of moving the prior director of scouting to nat'l scout, people w/in the org have been given promotions as well (CJ Leak, from practice squad TE to scout in a scant 5 years)

-One of their main methods of information acquisition outside of scouts, BLESTO is still going to be utilized, much like they do at Pitt.

He may be short the quotes and drawl, but Doug seems to be extending rooms in the house so to speak, not knocking the thing down.

These are all good points BUT...

Whaley has brought in two guys from outside the organization for leadership positions.

He's also said he will implement a new process. While he may continue to use BLESTO and the old scouts, he intends to have a process that makes them more effective.

These may not be the wholesale changes we saw in the coaching staff. But they are pretty significant. Regarding the scouts, he might want to evaluate how well they implement his program before replacing them.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I was curious about these guys about who their teams took from their 'area'. I'm not entirely sure how much 'southeast' or 'west' covers, but Monos was the Southeastern Scout for the Saints and Fisher the Western Scout for the Steelers.

Saints:

2012 - Corey White (SS) 5th - Samson

2011 - Mark Ingram (RB) 1st - Alabama

2011 - Martez Wilson (OLB) 3rd - East Ill. (not sure if this would fall into southeast or northeast)

2011 - Nate Bussey (LB) 7th - East Ill. (not sure if this would fall into southeast or northeast)

2011 - Johnny Patrick (DB) 3rd - Louisville

2010 - Patrick Robinson (DB) 1st - Florida St

2010 - Jimmy Graham (TE) 3rd - Miami

2010 - All Woods (DT) 4th - LSU

2009 - Chip Vaughn (DB) 4th - Wake Forest

2009 - Stanley Arnoux (LB) 4th - Wake Forest

2009 - Thomas Morestead (P) 5th - SMU

2008 - Tracy Porter (DB) 2nd - Indiana (not sure if this would be Southeast)

2008 - Demario Pressley (DT) 5th - North Carolina St

2007 - Robert Meachem (WR) 1st - Tennesee

2007 - Jermon Bushrod (T) 4th - Towson St

2007 - David Jones (DB) 5th - Wingate

2007 - Marvin Mitchell (LB) 7th - Tennesee

2006 - Roman Harper (DB) 2nd - Alabama

2006 - Rob Nincovixh (DE) 5th - Purdue (not sure if that would be southeast)

--------------

Steelers:

2012 - David Decastro (G) 1st - Stanford

2012 - Tony Clemens (WR) 7th - Colorado

2012 - Daid Paulson (TE) 7th - Oregon

2011 - Keith Williams (OL) 6th - Nebraska (not sure if this would be considered 'western' territory)

2010 - Stevenson Sylvester (LB) 5th - Utah

2009 - Bruce Davis (LB) 3rd - UCLA

2008 - Dennis Dixon (QB) 5th - Oregon

2008 - Mike Humpal (LB) 6th - Iowa

2007 - Ryan Mcbean (DT) 4th - Oklahoma St (not sure if this is 'west')

2006 - Mrvin Phillip © 6th - California

Obviously, I'm not sure what type of input they had on the actual selections or clout they had or what. I just wanted to see what type of players came out of their generalized territories.

I was curious about these guys about who their teams took from their 'area'. I'm not entirely sure how much 'southeast' or 'west' covers, but Monos was the Southeastern Scout for the Saints and Fisher the Western Scout for the Steelers.

Saints:

2011 - Martez Wilson (OLB) 3rd - East Ill. (not sure if this would fall into southeast or northeast)

2011 - Nate Bussey (LB) 7th - East Ill. (not sure if this would fall into southeast or northeast)

--------------

Steelers:

2011 - Keith Williams (OL) 6th - Nebraska (not sure if this would be considered 'western' territory)

Obviously, I'm not sure what type of input they had on the actual selections or clout they had or what. I just wanted to see what type of players came out of their generalized territories.

Good research... but not sure what conclusions we can draw.

Saints:

We'll have to get NoSaint on this.

We'll have to get NoSaint on this.

its a whole lot of underwhleming on the defensive side, but really its a tough read from there. a lot of those guys were "omg great steal" on draft day, and then just never panned out.

some high and low points going through there:

ingram - hurts as a trade into the first that has underachieved, but is that because hes not a workhorse in that offense?

tez and bussey - I dont think either would be him at E Ill. tez has underachieved but has been put at DE, OLB, ILB, all over the place. this year at 34 OLB is likely his best fit.... he was a raw prospect and i dont think they ever put him in great spots. bussey never really played

johnny patrick and patrick robinson - i find myself just yelling patrick when bad things happen on the outside. johnny hasnt been great but is a midrounder. robinson runs hot and cold. he will make some great plays and some real headscratchers. scheme and safety talent behind him and legit questions though.

Graham is a beast, was in the heart of his region and a huge project that he likely had real input into. having drew and that offensive system helped a lot too though.

then a whole lot of meh.... ive been on record as anti-meachem, i think porter is a decent corner but was waaaaay overrated from the playoff run (he was coming off the bench by the time he left town), harper is a probowl safety but unless hes playing at the line hes a liability - great blitzer though..... morestead might be my top punter in the league (or close to it atleast).... bushrod is a good but far from great tackle (i was on record as not to pay him like a probowl tackle).

woods never made the roster as a 4th rounder, several of the linebackers couldnt find the field despite very poor LB play at times. even in the superbowl run when vilma and fujita played well shanle was a mess, but allegedly a favorite of payton who brought him from dallas and has survived many DCs in new orleans (hes the chris kelsay of that defense).

i really dont have much in the way of broadbased insight to add as i dont know where to point fingers for failure or give credit for success.... although i can give feedback on any individual players.

Honestly all this list does is remind me how important a QB is.

Saints and Steelers prior to Brees and Big Ben were not all that great

Saints:

--------------

Steelers: