Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

what choice do I have, but patience?

I do understand the optimism.

I guess the impetus of how I feel, is that I believe Brandon has basically been the authority since Donahoe left. In all facets, including football personnel decisions. People who take it at face value, and take them at their word that Brandon doesnt touch football, while Nix and now Whaley are 100% in charge of the onfield product will have a much better outlook.

This goes back to where Brandon's blatant dishonesty gets to me and why I believe that is a valid criticism. I dont have trust in what he publicly says.

I do like the coaching staff changes. Ill still be there opening day.

Buddy Nix just said in that video on buffalobills.com that he, Russ Brandon, and Doug Marrone had meetings every day to discuss the team. From that statement, and the conjecture that it's pretty unlikely Brandon goes to those meetings and never says a word, it seems clear that all three of them were involved in "football" decisions.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix just said in that video on buffalobills.com that he, Russ Brandon, and Doug Marrone had meetings every day to discuss the team. From that statement, and the conjecture that it's pretty unlikely Brandon goes to those meetings and never says a word, it seems clear that all three of them were involved in "football" decisions.

Or is Brandon just there so he knows what the team he is in charge of is doing? You make the leap that since he's in the room he must be imposing his will on the football people. Are you saying Brandon has no right to listen in on the decisions being made that affect the team he is charged with running?

Also even if three people discuss something, in the end one person is the decider. So even if Doug Whaley was involved in moves made by Buddy Nix, to argue that Whaley agreed with everything Nix did, and by extension be the predictor on how Whaley will act going forward, is ludicrous.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

that is not that unreasonable of a leap though.

back full circle, especially when you lose trust in what the guy says publicly.

It may not be/proven to be the correct point of view, but it is certainly justified.

It's paranoid.

PTR

Yes I get the media point, everybody does, but it doesn't mean the media consensus is wrong either. The irony of course is that the only "evidence" you provide in support of marrone is a quote from a media personality.

Consensus was the kelly was hottest prospect, and everything thats observable supported that: how many teams pursued him, how many offers he had, how much he got paid, how much his college team did to try and keep him (which BTW at marrones comp level syracuse could have been competitive).

Just lose the chip on your shoulder already. Because kelly was more sought after doesn't mean he'll be better as an nfl coach than marrone, no one is saying that.

Honestly Kelly probably was the hottest prospect but I certainly object to your contention "by a wide margin" and that this is somehow provable.

All of the points you made are refutable.

Marrone had as many if not more interviews than did Kelly.

In spite of what you say, Marrone was going to be a head coach in the NFL this year and there was nothing Syracuse would do to compete with that. Credibility would suggest you abandon this idea.

As for Kelly's compensation vs Marrone's (which you and mannc brought up), Marrone signed first leaving Kelly the bridesmaid to two desparate to not be jilted, suitors.

In addition to that, Philly is a different market than Buffalo and Jeff Lurie is a different owner than Ralph Wilson. Does the fact that Mike Shanahan makes $2 million more per year than Jim Harbaugh mean that Shanny was a hotter prospect?

I seriously doubt it.

Again Kelly might have been the hotter prospect but if so, not by as much as you think.

Also, what chip on my shoulder?

Russ tells the truth: "OMG why is Russ tipping his hand to everyone in the league? Doesn't he know a thing about subterfuge!"

Russ doesn't tell the exact truth: "OMG Russ is a huge liar! He has no credibility around the league!"

Basically.

+1

This thread is hilarious.

You see, and that's what separates Bills fans from "Bills fans."

IMO, a true Bills fan would find this painful, not hilarious.

And honestly John, you are one of the poster boys here who love to wallow in the failure of this team. It seems to make you and others like you happy.

I'll never get that.

As to May Day 10, I understand your skepticism but I think even the most jaded fans should be able to discern a major change in the way the Bills are going about their business.

I do get your frustration, and thanks for helping me see that point. I agree with the wait-and-see take completely.

You have every right to your opinion. And, so do other posters. You have a marvelous ability to see every move this organization makes as a big positive. And, in the context of football discussions, that's a great thing for good debate on this board. The only thing I don't appreciate is your attacking other fans here on the board for expressing their opinions, doubts, concerns and criticisms. The Bills deserve criticism. They have earned criticism by their own ineptitude. If no one can find fault with a 16-32 record, then this board reduces to nothing but mindless applauding automatons.

FWIW, I can still remember the glory days of this franchise and there were people very critical of the team then. They won more games than anybody, but there was always something for someone to criticize. If the Bills never lost another game in our lifetimes, you'd probably still find posts that weren't blowing sunshine all over your monitor.

Brilliant post!

Assuming Nix is being truthful that Brandon goes to meetings with the people on the football side of the business, leads me to believe that Brandon as the new CEO is micro managing. Never a good thing for a CEO. Delegate the responsibility to qualifed people you TRUST.Then, have them report their results, keep you up to date and do your own job. Which in Brandons case goes well beyond the football personnel decisions. Brandon is not a football man and lately reminds me more of a Jerry Jones. How is that working out for the cowgirls?

This team needs new ownership. Until then though,reportedly the Bills are hoping to become somewhat of a Steelers clone. That is something the may have been better kept in house, and not said in public. Chalk it up to a new young inexperienced GM perhaps using a poor choice of words. A NFL team does not need to publicly pay homage to another of the 32 teams in the league and hope to imitate them.

You have every right to your opinion. And, so do other posters. You have a marvelous ability to see every move this organization makes as a big positive.

I am afraid you have mis-identified PTR. He is not focused on the positive. He is without doubt the most negative poster on TSW.

If you take a look at his history you will be hard pressed to find anything he has posted that isn't just negativity toward fans. He doesn't ever talk actual football even. Just criticism of fans. It doesn't border on a crusade, it is the capital of Crusadeland here on TSW.

I guess it is how he deals with the losing. When people displace their anger on their own inanimate objects that is their problem. But attacking justifiably disappointed fans for being disappointed(and expecting more of the same) is nonsense and highly inappropriate on a forum for fans.

He represents the extreme end of the whining scale....an area he so claims to hate....which is why I tabbed him the franchise whiner (which he re-interpreted :lol: ).

I am afraid you have mis-identified PTR. He is not focused on the positive. He is without doubt the most negative poster on TSW.

If you take a look at his history you will be hard pressed to find anything he has posted that isn't just negativity toward fans. He doesn't ever talk actual football even. Just criticism of fans. It doesn't border on a crusade, it is the capital of Crusadeland here on TSW.

I guess it is how he deals with the losing. When people displace their anger on their own inanimate objects that is their problem. But attacking justifiably disappointed fans for being disappointed(and expecting more of the same) is nonsense and highly inappropriate on a forum for fans.

He represents the extreme end of the whining scale....an area he so claims to hate....which is why I tabbed him the franchise whiner (which he re-interpreted :lol: ).

It's hilarious to see how people see what they want in my posts. It's like an inkblot, I guess.

I do rail against people who invent elaborate conspiracies. Hey, if you get bent out of shape if I challenge your assertions then maybe they weren't that strong to begin with.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

a.

As for Kelly's compensation vs Marrone's (which you and mannc brought up), Marrone signed first leaving Kelly the bridesmaid to two desparate to not be jilted, suitors.

In addition to that, Philly is a different market than Buffalo and Jeff Lurie is a different owner than Ralph Wilson. Does the fact that Mike Shanahan makes $2 million more per year than Jim Harbaugh mean that Shanny was a hotter prospect?

Shanahan's large compensation has a lot to do with the fact that he is not only the HC but also in reality the GM. Bruce Allen has the title of being a GM but he is mostly involved with the business and management side of the operation. Shanahan has the full authority in running the football operation. His salary is commensurate with his wide ranging football authority within the franchise.

Jim Harbaugh is a terrific HC. He also works with and under an excellent GM in Trent Baalke.

This team needs new ownership. Until then though,reportedly the Bills are hoping to become somewhat of a Steelers clone. That is something the may have been better kept in house, and not said in public. Chalk it up to a new young inexperienced GM perhaps using a poor choice of words. A NFL team does not need to publicly pay homage to another of the 32 teams in the league and hope to imitate them.

I don't think there was a poor choice of words. He was directly asked by a reporter what he learned in Pittsburgh that would apply here. In his answer he didn't wax poetic on his time there but pretty much said they commit to winning from top to bottom and so will we. Not exactly putting the Steelers on a pedestal, and zero practical information about our strategy was given away.

How would you have liked him to answer the question?

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Shanahan's large compensation has a lot to do with the fact that he is not only the HC but also in reality the GM. Bruce Allen has the title of being a GM but he is mostly involved with the business and management side of the operation. Shanahan has the full authority in running the football operation. His salary is commensurate with his wide ranging football authority within the franchise.

Jim Harbaugh is a terrific HC. He also works with and under an excellent GM in Trent Baalke.

They were also hired in different years, rendering the comparison even less relevant.

I don't think there was a poor choice of words. He was directly asked by a reporter what he learned in Pittsburgh that would apply here. In his answer he didn't wax poetic on his time there but pretty much said they commit to winning from top to bottom and so will we. Not exactly putting the Steelers on a pedestal, and zero practical information about our strategy was given away.

How would you have liked him to answer the question?

He was initially hired as a boots on the ground scout for the Steelers, left for Seattle and went back to Pittsburgh with some new responsibilities.

As a GM in Buffalo now. What he learned in Pittsburgh was most of his early basic NFL education. And maybe he should have simply answered it that way and left it at that.No need to say anything else. One would hope his 3 years with the Bills so far and level of responsibility is far more relevant than his early Steelers years.

The Rooney family is committed to championships and always have been.The "Steeler Way" (I believe he used those words) is cool and all,and not to mention very successful. And saying that does put them on a pedestal. They do own a six pack of Lombardi's.

The Rooneys would never sell off home field advantage.And, they are both small market teams. I still do not believe the Bills are committed from top to bottom winning. Otherwise the Toronto game sell off nightmare would not have been renewed by our new CEO.

Doug W. seems to be like others noted a man who gives typical corporate schmooze answers and not much else. I don't have a issue with that. As you note he gave away almost zero practical information.

I really want Whaley to succeed on his own and not to emulate a competitors method of success. I'm he sure he does too. No reason to give any other corporate competitor and ex employers a pat on the back publicly about their storied tradition of winning. Or at least mention in it in the press. I have to wonder what Donahue's response would have been if asked the same question when he came to the Bills from Pittsburgh?

Best luck to Doug Whaley, I like the hire but there is no chance in hell he can copy or emulate the Steeler way. The Steelers are built on stability. The Bills not so much.I still believe the weak link is the new CEO.

Edited by Best Player Available

Best luck to Doug Whaley, I like the hire but there is no chance in hell he can copy or emulate the Steeler way. The Steelers are built on stability. The Bills not so much.I still believe the weak link is the new CEO.

Thanks for helping me see where you're coming from. Personally I think the more Whaley learned in Pittsburgh about how to build a winner, the better. I don't see much problem in his telling us the Steeler way is to commit to winning and accept nothing less.

It seems almost laughable right now that a franchise like the Bills could achieve the stability that the Rooneys have that you mention, but doesn't that still have to be the goal? Building something stable has to begin somewhere. It would be counterproductive for Whaley to take the GM post and not have the goal of building a successful regime that will withstand the ownership transition and compete for championships. When Marrone put the Lombardi Trophy on the wall some laughed at him; in reality it is always a good thing to state your goals, especially in public, because it creates accountability and sets a no-nonsense tone.

You missed the point. But that's okay.

If your point wasnt to cite a factor why shanahan and harbaugh's compensation isn't an apples to apples comparison - in this case shanahan's broader responsibility - what was it?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If your point wasnt to cite a factor why shanahan and harbaugh's compensation isn't an apples to apples comparison - in this case shanahan's broader responsibility - what was it?

It's not difficult. It was my point: Citing Shanahan's more encompassing authority in running the football operation.

It's not difficult. It was my point: Citing Shanahan's more encompassing authority in running the football operation.

I didn't think it was. But thanks for confirming you didn't get the point of my post when you said I didn't get the point of yours.