Mario Williams: no love for

That isn't legal. A doctor cannot dispense narcotics in his office. Hospitals and surgery centers can do this (only on the written order of a physician). A doctor can give samples of non narcotic medications.

Used to be, and perhaps still is is in some states.

From a legal point of view, in Texas Mario would have to prove the woman broke off the engagement. Otherwise the ring is a gift and she keeps it legally. Her lawyer is releasing evidence (texts) which show his state if mind and behavior (and her responses) which he feels supports her defense that she is not a "gold digger" or simply dumping him for the ring. The texts are facts as they are direct speech from Mario. I'm not sure why you don't understand her lawyer's releasing of this evidence--or how this info paints her in a poorer light than Williams.

I guess I can't help you then. But what the heck, I'll try anyway. Mario's state of mind and behavior are not evidence that he, not she, broke the engagement.

The texts may be facts, they may be discoverable facts in that they are texts between the two parties involved in the lawsuit, but they are not facts with bearing on the legal issue at hand.

The "court of public opinion" has no more bearing in a civil case than in a criminal case--the public doesn;t get to vote, except those members of it on the jury. As stated above, every text by MArio is discoverable fact in this case, not just one where he says "keep the ring" (there is no such text anyway).

You are correct about the "court of public opinion" in theory, in practice lawyers file for change of venue in criminal cases all the time due to concern that the potential juror's opinions have been influenced by the press. This concern is also the basis for sequestering juries in controversial cases. Public opinion is believed by experts to influence legal cases.

As to the "no such text anyway", her lawyer has been quoted to the contrary: ""I have texts from him that tell her to keep the ring."

If that's the case, let's see 'em - far more germaine to the outcome of the case than "facts" that a professional football player may text about feelings or pain medication to his then-fiancee.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct about the "court of public opinion" in theory, in practice lawyers file for change of venue in criminal cases all the time due to concern that the potential juror's opinions have been influenced by the press. This concern is also the basis for sequestering juries in controversial cases. Public opinion is believed by experts to influence legal cases.

As to the "no such text anyway", her lawyer has been quoted to the contrary: ""I have texts from him that tell her to keep the ring."

If that's the case, let's see 'em - far more germaine to the outcome of the case than "facts" that a professional football player may text about feelings or pain medication to his then-fiancee.

Not to mention the burden of proof, for a civil case, is much lower than in a criminal case. Because of this, people's opinion of the plaintiff and his state of mind are very important, maybe more important than actual facts. Therefore each lawyer is going to try to discredit the others client.

You are right.

That is why I am speaking to the only fact we do know: private relationship messages being released to the public via a F'ing lawyer.

That is detestable weakness and dishonor. It shows us the character of the woman, and yes, as it is a fact, it allows us to make a judgment about it.

Actually another fact we know, because her lawyer released the texts, is that Mario hinted at suicide and ominous hydrocodone use during a discussion with her. This shows us a bit of the character of the man.

Used to be, and perhaps still is is in some states.

I guess I can't help you then. But what the heck, I'll try anyway. Mario's state of mind and behavior are not evidence that he, not she, broke the engagement.

The texts may be facts, they may be discoverable facts in that they are texts between the two parties involved in the lawsuit, but they are not facts with bearing on the legal issue at hand.

No one is challenging the venue here (and venue changes for civil cases or criminal cases are very rare...not "all the time") and sequestration is done mainly for the protection of the defendent by preventing the jurors from discussing the case or being exposed to facts (or conjecture) not in evidence.

Whether Marios behavior will lead a jury to decide who broke up with whom has yet to be determined, wouldn't you agree? And therefore these texts of course have bearing on the case--in Texas, the only issue is whether Mario broke off the engagement and therefore didn't fulfill the condition of the gift of the ring. If after reading those texts and any other that exist, a jury decides he broke off the engagement, then she keeps the ring. It is the right of the jury to consider those pathetic texts as evidence in this case (they are undisputably evidence at this point, no matter your feelings about that).

Actually another fact we know, because her lawyer released the texts, is that Mario hinted at suicide and ominous hydrocodone use during a discussion with her. This shows us a bit of the character of the man.

agreed.....Mario saying it was "taken out of context" is deflecting responsibility.

he said it....the word "suicide". it crosses a line.

at best he was hurting deeply and feeling helpless as the relationship unraveled. he was looking for a desperate reaction from her.

most likely, he did have real thoughts of suicide.

also, if it was possible to check ( which it probably isn't) he didn't have a prescription from a doctor to take as many pain pills as he said he was contemplating.

agreed.....Mario saying it was "taken out of context" is deflecting responsibility.

he said it....the word "suicide". it crosses a line.

at best he was hurting deeply and feeling helpless as the relationship unraveled. he was looking for a desperate reaction from her.

most likely, he did have real thoughts of suicide.

also, if it was possible to check ( which it probably isn't) he didn't have a prescription from a doctor to take as many pain pills as he said he was contemplating.

Or, he was being manipulative.

Just another possibility.

Or, he was being manipulative.

Just another possibility.

Which when you boil down his "when your mad you say things that you don't mean" to its essence.... It's him saying he was being manipulative.

I can only imagine the threads that would follow on this site if Mario was on the Jets......

And rightly so.

I'm sure fans of the other AFC East teams will be having a field day with this.

The only mitigating factor is that the Bills have become somewhat irrelevant.

However I'm sure if you read the PFT comments on this subject (and on the Bills Mount Rushmore subject) you'll find plenty of venom towards and sport being made of the Bills.

It's the nature of the beast.

And rightly so.

I'm sure fans of the other AFC East teams will be having a field day with this.

The only mitigating factor is that the Bills have become somewhat irrelevant.

However I'm sure if you read the PFT comments on this subject (and on the Bills Mount Rushmore subject) you'll find plenty of venom towards and sport being made of the Bills.

It's the nature of the beast.

You're right. Few here would acknowledge the nature of the beast.

No surprise. I'd bet the majority of those commenters are men and the majority of men support Mario.

They are also a majority non-bills fans. I expected a lot more ridicule. I would not expect this board to be pro-brady in its overall tone. Of course men would agree but we tend to act like women watching reality TV soap operas when it comes to the nfl.

Edited by NoSaint

They are also a majority non-bills fans. I expected a lot more ridicule. I would not expect this board to be pro-brady in its overall tone. Of course men would agree but we tend to act like women watching reality TV soap operas when it comes to the nfl.

Brady is a polarizing figure. Mario is not.

WTF? Which is none of our business, and it wouldn't be known to us at all, if it wasn't for her, right? That is, if we have any class.

None of that excuses her behavior, and none of it has anything to do with HER BEHAVIOR. Running to a lawyer and having him release private discussions? Detestable weakness.

Again, right there, that's ALL WE NEED TO KNOW. The rest is BS. Mario said this Mario said that, and then "let's all put on our pseudo-psychology hats and pretend we can not only read minds, but, read into text messages!" Of all things, text messages? :rolleyes: Idiocy.

Utter nonsense.

What if a lawyer took what he heard from his client, specifically the exact same thing that Mario told this woman? and blabbed it in public? Oh, that's a big deal! :rolleyes: Oh, man, that's a breach of trust, and highly unethical. :rolleyes: What if a judge ordered the lawyer to tell what he knew, since he deemed it to be in the client's best interest = mental health?

We'd have lawyers peeing themselves nation wide, and running to get on whatever talk show they could. And, why? Not in anyone's self interest but their own: lose the confidentiality protection and it makes it their job 5 times as hard.

This woman does the same thing, quite literally, breaks the confidence in a relationship, releases confidential messages, and we all know what that means(unless we are children, or lawyers), and, now, we are talking evidence and legal procedure, and NOTHING about the ethical realities of this?

Hilarious hypocrisy.

I can only imagine the threads that would follow on this site if Mario was on the Jets......

Dishonor, is dishonor.

It's no matter of opinion, or based on some relative set of values that change per our convenience.

What she did is dishonorable, since, she hasn't apologized. So now we have: intentional, planned dishonor.

She's a scumbag, so is her lawyer. Anybody who defends this behavior, Jet fans or Bills fan? Pathetic.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

WTF? Which is none of our business, and it wouldn't be known to us at all, if it wasn't for her, right? That is, if we have any class.

None of that excuses her behavior, and none of it has anything to do with HER BEHAVIOR. Running to a lawyer and having him release private discussions? Detestable weakness.

Again, right there, that's ALL WE NEED TO KNOW. The rest is BS. Mario said this Mario said that, and then "let's all put on our pseudo-psychology hats and pretend we can not only read minds, but, read into text messages!" Of all things, text messages? :rolleyes: Idiocy.

Utter nonsense.

What if a lawyer took what he heard from his client, specifically the exact same thing that Mario told this woman? and blabbed it in public? Oh, that's a big deal! :rolleyes: Oh, man, that's a breach of trust, and highly unethical. :rolleyes: What if a judge ordered the lawyer to tell what he knew, since he deemed it to be in the client's best interest = mental health?

We'd have lawyers peeing themselves nation wide, and running to get on whatever talk show they could. And, why? Not in anyone's self interest but their own: lose the confidentiality protection and it makes it their job 5 times as hard.

This woman does the same thing, quite literally, breaks the confidence in a relationship, releases confidential messages, and we all know what that means(unless we are children, or lawyers), and, now, we are talking evidence and legal procedure, and NOTHING about the ethical realities of this?

Hilarious hypocrisy.

Dishonor, is dishonor.

It's no matter of opinion, or based on some relative set of values that change per our convenience.

What she did is dishonorable, since, she hasn't apologized. So now we have: intentional, planned dishonor.

She's a scumbag, so is her lawyer. Anybody who defends this behavior, Jet fans or Bills fan? Pathetic.

The bolded part---well, your entire post--is utter nonsense.

Mario filed a suit to get the ring back. He was perfectly satisfied to paint this woman as a "golddigger", when, as we now know, he told her to keep the ring after all. So his whole suit is a sham. An she's a "scumbag"? Her "behavior" is in defense from Mario's now obvious crazy BS regarding this ring. Who wouldn't fight back?? He started all of this and now you are upset that HIS true character has been revealed?

Your hero worship has messed up your moral compass.

The bolded part---well, your entire post--is utter nonsense.

Mario filed a suit to get the ring back. He was perfectly satisfied to paint this woman as a "golddigger", when, as we now know, he told her to keep the ring after all. So his whole suit is a sham. An she's a "scumbag"? Her "behavior" is in defense from Mario's now obvious crazy BS regarding this ring. Who wouldn't fight back?? He started all of this and now you are upset that HIS true character has been revealed?

Your hero worship has messed up your moral compass.

Oh, the irony! If Mario weren't a highly-paid athlete, much less a Buffalo Bill, would your moral compass still have you saying that, despite the laughable "the text proves she should keep the ring" argument, his wanting the ring back (i.e. changing his mind) means she shouldn't give it back?

I am hoping that its true his big contract is essentially a 2 year deal. I now see why Houston wanted no part of this clown, he is a head case. He has issues he clearly refuses to accept, his play isn't great by any means and he is vastly overpaid.

I hope we cut his ass at the end of this season