Watch out for Nickell Robey!!

USC CB Nickell Robey is listed as Gil Brandt's top UDFA for a reason. He's a real playmaker. He can cover man to man and knows how to jump a route. Check out his video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IIJQFvJ1LY

and his bio: At 5'8" and 168 pounds, Nickell Robey isn't the biggest cornerback prospect in the 2013 NFL draft. However, what Robey lacks in size he makes up in playmaking abilities, emotion and physicality.

Strengths

Robey is one of the draft's premier athletes. Even though he ran a 4.53 40-yard dash at the NFL combine, Robey has the speed to keep up with quicker receivers.

Robey is an athletic and physical cornerback with very good playmaking skills.

He's extremely light on his feet, is fluid throughout his hips and can easily turn and run with receivers. Robey also displays excellent balance and quickness.

His playmaking skills are also evident when you watch Robey on the field. He possesses above-average hands (seven interceptions in three years) and the ability to make plays after the catch.

Robey can also be a factor when blitzing from the cornerback position.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know...168 lbs won't take you very far in the NFL. Hopefully he'll prove that wrong.

Folks were pushing for a WR of similar size at #8. We'll see what happens, could be this year's reverse osmosis version of Mike Jasper.

I am more excited for the UDFA's than I am for the draft picks I think that they did a good job on both this year. Who knows maybe this crop of players is the the one to put them over the top. I am certainly waiting for train camp this year.

Size at the CB position is the one position where size matters least - except height - but, look at Honey Badger. He's short. CB's don't take the same pounding that QB's, RB's, LB'ers, and Linemen take. If he's fast enough, and tough enough, and smart enough, there's no reason he can't be a force at some position on the field. The nice thing about Pettine - he's not looking for a particular mold all the time. He's looking for talent, and he'll find a place to use it. I think a poster here - I forget which one - is right - we waited on CB until UDFA BECAUSE the strength and depth of the position was so good we were able to get playmakers in UDFA. I'd bet at least one of the three UDFA CB's makes the 53 man roster, and another the practice squad.

Size at the CB position is the one position where size matters least - except height.

Height is a huge factor though (and so is speed.) In a league where the WRs are 6'3", 220lbs and run like a wind having a CB who is 5'8", 168 and slow like a safety isn't going to cut it. I'm not very big on guys needing top flight "measurables" in-so-long as they can play football but there is a minimum needed to play in such a fast, violent sport. If you're going to be on the small side you'd better make up for it with top flight speed, rubber hips and the ability to breakdown plays quickly and be in the right spot. I've seen this kid play a handful of times and while he looks pretty good on a college football field I just don't see that transitioning to the NFL - which is why he went undrafted.

It's funny to me how people like to dismiss draft "experts" opinions when they trash the Bills draft but when one of them says something good about their UDFA or how one of these guys had a "4th round grade" suddenly it's a steal! Why do we listen to those grades like they mean something but dismiss the grades on other guys? Cherry picking at it's finest.

Nickell went undrafted for a reason. He's only half good enough to play in the dime sub-package.

Ha...I see what yer doin....

My question is: Can he stay with Danny Amendola and Jeremy Kerley? If so, then size isn't a factor and we can use him.

Robey's lack of height could work against him, but only if the Bills aren't smart about how they match him up with opposing receivers.

In Pettine's scheme, he needs to have CBs who can bump and run with a fast receiver for a 2-3 sec. window. Every team needs small fast/quick defenders to cover small fast/quick receivers.

Robey can do that so he becomes an asset.

The guy is fast/quick/physical and very confident. I think he's got a great shot at making this team.

Folks were pushing for a WR of similar size at #8. We'll see what happens, could be this year's reverse osmosis version of Mike Jasper.

Wide receivers don't have to tackle 220 lb running backs coming at them full speed with a lowered shoulder.

I've watched this kid his entire career at SC and I like him. A lot. And he had a very good career there. But the NFL isn't college. His size can definitely work against him on this level. But you never know, he just might surprise me and a lot of other people. He could hardly have gotten a better coach and system than what Pettine's noted for so he's got a chance. We'll see.

Wide receivers don't have to tackle 220 lb running backs coming at them full speed with a lowered shoulder.

Well, the chances of a lower shoulder outside the box are far reduced, now.