Buffalo Bills UDFA Signings

I heard an interesting tidbit this weekend about UDFAs.

There are more UDFAs in the Hall of Fame (15) then #1 Draft Picks (12) and Heismann Winners (6). Now, granted, you have more UDFAs to choose from, but I still found it to be an interesting point.

Carry on.

Interesting, indeed! I'd never heard that before and would like to see the reference. There are likely a lot of very old guys, IMO, but since the '50s there were many rounds of Draft. 17, IIRC. That's really pulling from the pool..

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, what I'm hearing is that it's possible the Bills won't actually keep a true FB on the roster. Marrone was even quoted that they could use a DT in the backfield on short yardage/goal line plays.

That said, they obviously like this kid enough to give him a shot, so who knows?

Makes sense. I know they ave him listed as a RB, but i think of him more as a traitional FB. He has decent hands as well, so maybe an H Back type of role if there is one in the offense??

Either way, you know his only chane is to make an impression and make the team is on special teams...i dont know him personally, but the guys i have tickets with do and all say he is a great guy.

Like having a guy like that to root for, lie the Richmond connection. Best Richmond connection to ave would have been Russell Wilson....

Didn't stop Anquan Boldin or Jerry RIce (4.7), nor did it stop Allen from getting drafted. SJ also ran ~4.6. So as a UDFA it's all about whether he can help the team, not track numbers.

Having said that I give him about a .3% chance of making the team, given we have SJ/Graham/Smith (Could be cut), drafted Woods/Goodwin, and signed Rogers (who should have been drafted). Any WR's other than them who make the roster needs to be a ST ace. If he shows well in camp maybe he can make the psquad.

I think that Kaufman has a better chance than that of making the roster. He looks like Nelson type to me but he looks like a better high point guy than Nelson. I think his odds of making the team are imporved because of our tight end situation. They are going to need a red Zone guy. I like the idea of a 6'5" QB throwing to a 6"5" Wr. 4.6 time in the 40 is plenty fast for this type of receiver. 4.6 would be a very fast TE and that is how you are going to use him in short yardage and in red zone.

I think that Kaufman has a better chance than that of making the roster. He looks like Nelson type to me but he looks like a better high point guy than Nelson. I think his odds of making the team are imporved because of our tight end situation. They are going to need a red Zone guy. I like the idea of a 6'5" QB throwing to a 6"5" Wr. 4.6 time in the 40 is plenty fast for this type of receiver. 4.6 would be a very fast TE and that is how you are going to use him in short yardage and in red zone.

Kaufmans highlight tape is ridiculous. That guy put up some numbers. He is a damn good receiver.

Like having a guy like that to root for, lie the Richmond connection. Best Richmond connection to ave would have been Russell Wilson....

No doubt. I always find myself pulling a little bit harder for Tar Heels who make the Bills' roster -- which in days gone by included Thomas Smith, Keith Newman, Jonathan Linton, and now Searcy.

Why do you say absolute NO to Tuel? I just watched this, and although it was HIGHLIGHTS, he really seems to have a strong arm and makes all the throws that Fitz couldn't, which is the finesse go routes over the defender and hitting your man in stride. If they can store him on PS he would be a great get, but if he progresses well in camp I could almost justify cutting the loser of the Kolb-Jackson battle with Manuel as obvious #2 guy.

Kaufmans highlight tape is ridiculous. That guy put up some numbers. He is a damn good receiver.

Yeah, I agree. Kaufman is a beast - he put up CRAZY numbers last year alone. We went from having a bare cupboard at WR to having so many decent prospects I'm going to end up worrying when we put out the practice squad that one or two of our young WR's will get snagged!

I see our WR corps. as being S.Johnson, T.J. Graham, Woods, Rogers, Goodwin, and Kaufman - unless they keep Smith in favor of someone, or keep a 7th WR, but I just don't see any of those mentioned not making it. Easley's days are numbered, unless he tears it up this spring.

Why do you say absolute NO to Tuel? I just watched this, and although it was HIGHLIGHTS, he really seems to have a strong arm and makes all the throws that Fitz couldn't, which is the finesse go routes over the defender and hitting your man in stride. If they can store him on PS he would be a great get, but if he progresses well in camp I could almost justify cutting the loser of the Kolb-Jackson battle with Manuel as obvious #2 guy.

I've watched a little too much WASU Cougar football to be taken-in by this kid's Highlight reel! :lol:

He's bound to have a few good throws in a Mike Leach pass-happy offense. However, the Coug's were 3-9 Pac10 cellar-dwellers last year. If you watch actual games, you see the Jeff Tuel that has an average/weak arm, holds the ball too long, and starts a lot of stalled drives. True, he can sometimes extends plays with his feet, but he was sacked over 30 times last year. (119 times in his NCAA career) -The kid broke his collarbone, re-injured it a couple times, messed up his knee... He's been beat-up alot.

Tuel was a decent college athlete, but In the pro's, he'll be routinely walked-down and swung to the turf. -Probably stripped of the football as well. All the footage in the world of him vs. Eastern Washington, and BYU won't change that. He's certainly not the worst I ever saw, but he's not worth hyping-up either. NO on Jeff Tuel. I remain firm on that until he proves me wrong.

Edited by #34fan

Looked like he's got great survival instincts honed out of necessity because his OLine absolutely sucked. He was running for his life on nearly every play - after he bent over to pick up the football off his shoestrings. Holy Jack!

Also, the 5'8" Nickell Robey at CB sounds like Rudy... I'm rooting for him to make some noise despite his size!

I'm far more excited to see what CB Vernon Kerney brings at 6-2 with 4.49 speed...If he can keep showing well vs tougher competition he'll be a steal and a half... B-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGbUu5byP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jeff Tuel is an unbelievably accurate Mike Leach-coached QB, with uncanny mobility to escape the pass rush. The Bills are fortunate to sign him as an UFA over all the other teams in the NFL.

Then again, it's a credit to the Bills scouting team that Tuel was brought here for a pre-draft visit, and that the Bills realized his talent. I have to agree that you could almost justify Tuel as a #3 on our roster over the loser of Kolb v. Jackson.

TJ is probably a goner, 'cause it's 'Tuel Time' in BuffTown...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Oh boy...That did not take long... :lol:

This is where all the tuels come out in force.

Reminds me of a story I heard about the venerable punk-rocker Frank Discussion (greatest name ever) of The Feederz, who used to come on stage and immediately scream "WHO WANTS TO PARTY?!", which prompted huge screams, which promptly led to Frank saying "Now we know who all the azzholes are!"

Just watched a bit of the Kaufman kid on youtube and keeping in mind all the coaches talk about drafting versatile players. With the crowded receiver lineup i wonder if they are going to try and work this kid in as a passing TE. he has got the size but not necessarily the weight (i see him listed at 215) and i don't know about his blocking ability. His receiving ability however could create potential mismatches with linebackers. Im mostly hoping they can maximize all this young talent and work these different weapons in simultaneously.

Kaufman? -He's OK, I guess... Doesn't have the breakaway speed I like in receivers... Didn't see much route running ability.... I can't believe we didn't like SJSU's Ryan Otten. Now THERE'S a passing TE! -That kid is frickin' unbelievable.

Edited by #34fan