Aaron Williams position

RCOHEN13

With us drafting 2 safeties and no corners, i'd assume Pettine has decided to leave him at corner. With Byrd being a star at FS, and with Searcy who was a high pick and played pretty good in spot duty last year. Certainly no worse than Wilson who had no business ever being a safety. Had couple lucky picks early on and he is "good team guy" but NOT a starting safety! Duke Williams is was a GREAT pick... kid can fly and can really hit and will probably be in mix with Searcy for starting gig. And he did re-sign Scott who is more of a safety than a LB and will probably earn a roster spot as a vet and a guy that is flexible in terms of position in case of injuries.

The kid they got out of Clemson has no business being drafted! I watch a ton of college ball and seen alot of Clemson games and never heard of him! Gonna be just a special teams guy at best.

With us drafting no corners, nor adding any via FA, that leaves us with last years group (minus Mcgee who wasnt ever healthy anyway). With teams using so many multiple WR sets, Gilmore is our clear cut 1. I would assume Mcluvin was resigned to be 2/3rd corner which is pretty much same thing nowadays cuz Nickel back is on field over 50% of plays, i'd think Williams and Brooks who be in the mix for for other spots and those 4 would be our top 4 CB's... Not great...

I'm hoping we get someones cap casualty, a vet with few good years left via FA. Guys like that tend to become available quite often, and with our current grouping... i wouldnt feel too comfortable..

I think you'll see the corner/safety line blur.... Gilmore and mckelvin will be the outside corners but I think everyone else is simply a DB

Yep. You will see Aaron Williams coming up and covering like a CB in some formations. That will scare some people of course. But he seems to struggle mostly when having to turn and run and cover, and much better when the plays are in front of him.

That's a lot of DB's on the roster, A. Williams, D. Williams, Brooks, McKelvin, Gilmore, Byrd, Searcy, Rogers, and now Meeks. That's a lot, I'm thinking Byrd is going to get traded, and/or A.Williams or Rogers cut.

I'd be ok if they don't think Byrd fits anymore for the money and can manage to get maybe a 1st and 2nd for him. It's possible. After the draft, teams are more willing to give up high draft picks for a year away because nobody knows what the hell is going to happen throughout the year.

With all that said, if they want him and he wants Buffalo, I want him to stay. Just trying to sugarcoat a trade here.

That's a lot of DB's on the roster, A. Williams, D. Williams, Brooks, McKelvin, Gilmore, Byrd, Searcy, Rogers, and now Meeks. That's a lot, I'm thinking Byrd is going to get traded, and/or A.Williams or Rogers cut.

Rogers will be cut, but I think everyone else stays. 8 DBs isn't outrageous; remember, some will be ST-focused (no Ruvell Martin), and we will often have 5-6 DBs on the field.

I'd be ok if they don't think Byrd fits anymore for the money and can manage to get maybe a 1st and 2nd for him. It's possible. After the draft, teams are more willing to give up high draft picks for a year away because nobody knows what the hell is going to happen throughout the year.

With all that said, if they want him and he wants Buffalo, I want him to stay. Just trying to sugarcoat a trade here.

That's quite a sugarcoat; I highly doubt a team will throw a 2nd, let alone a 1st and 2nd, for a safety in need of a new contract.

Rogers will be cut, but I think everyone else stays. 8 DBs isn't outrageous; remember, some will be ST-focused (no Ruvell Martin), and we will often have 5-6 DBs on the field.

That's quite a sugarcoat; I highly doubt a team will throw a 2nd, let alone a 1st and 2nd, for a safety in need of a new contract.

Revis just got a ridiculous contract in addition to his trade. Just saying.

We need to re-sign Byrd.. top 5 safety in league... Started this thread cuz of my worry of Aaron. I met the guy early last year when i came up to Buffalo, i give Stevie a lot of his eyewear so he gave me some tickets. Met Aaron when i was in town and was a douche.. Very full of himself and not very intelligent.

Maybe its just personal and dont like the guy or maybe cuz it was so frustrating watching guy get burned, time and time again but i was really hoping he would make move to safety. Only positive i see in guy is hes a pretty solid tackler which gave me hope for him in a SS role that hovered around LOS. I'm hoping he takes last years demotion personally and grows up and lives up to be the player they drafted, but i doubt thats the case...

None of Revis' contract is guaranteed. Plus, if Revis gets a 1st, there is no way Byrd gets a 1st and 2nd.

Revis is older, has a major injury that he's coming off of, and has a major reputation of holding out. Byrd has none of the above. He's going to he paid like the best 3 Safeties in the league. And yes, AFTER the Draft, teams would be more willing to give up early draft picks for a player if they think that player would get them over the too this season and get them to the big dance.

Meeks will probably not be on the active roster if I had to guess.

Revis is older, has a major injury that he's coming off of, and has a major reputation of holding out. Byrd has none of the above. He's going to he paid like the best 3 Safeties in the league. And yes, AFTER the Draft, teams would be more willing to give up early draft picks for a player if they think that player would get them over the too this season and get them to the big dance.

He's a year older. I think, maybe, we could get a second next year for Byrd, but not more than that. I hope we agree to a reasonable deal.

I think they intend Williams to be a FS, not SS. That said, I expect all these guys will play multiple roles.

Meeks will probably not be on the active roster if I had to guess.

They will keep at least 9 DBs. I expect they will add multiple UDFAs to the mix as well.

In Pettine's scheme, which is designed to deceive/disguise, the fact that A. Williams can play both CB and S makes him very valuable. Pettine's scheme is very unique compared to what we're used to seeing.

Yes - I LOVE!!!! that we have intelligent guys as our Coordinators now! Wannstedt was so frustrating - he was so stubborn, and I have to conclude also ignorant, unless he was getting paid to lose. Pettine is innovative. He's results oriented. Instead of resisting change, he incorporates it. It's awesome that we have guys like A. Williams who can be used as a 3rd CB OR Safety - and guys like Scott who can be a LB OR Safety, and Mario - an OLB OR DE. Heck, even Dareus, Williams, Branch, and Carrington can be DT's or DE's. A creative minded coach should be able to really conceal plays with our alignments; I've been thinking, as much as I didn't like it, our flip flopping from 3-4 to 4-3 and back these past few years might have left us with a very good roster for Pettine's designs.

I know Searcy is a Bill ONLY because I'm a Bills fan... But let's ask our non Bills fan friends if they've ever heard of D'Norris Searcy... After we hear their answer (which will be a no) we then should ask ourselves, what has Searcy done for US lately? Nothing... If anyone gets cut, it's him...