Reading the buffalo news articles today, and ...

I can't help but conclude that they're taking a qb at 8. A lot was said, but this was the clincher:

'The importance of the position can’t be understated. Get the right guy, and everyone in the organization feels better. Scouts look smarter. General managers are geniuses.

“I mean, when we’re doing one, it’s weighted. Because, if you don’t have one, you know, that’s it,” [bills college scout Tom] Roth said. “In our minds, and I think in every scout’s mind, it’s weighted. It’s got to be.

“I’ve been here 11 years. I’ve been through so many quarterbacks here. It sucks. You need one.”'

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130425/SPORTS/130429457/two-bills-drive-1082

This team is absolutely desparate for a qb. They are going to take one with their first pick.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't help but conclude that they're taking a qb at 8. A lot was said, but this was the clincher:

'The importance of the position can't be understated. Get the right guy, and everyone in the organization feels better. Scouts look smarter. General managers are geniuses.

"I mean, when we're doing one, it's weighted. Because, if you don't have one, you know, that's it," [bills college scout Tom] Roth said. "In our minds, and I think in every scout's mind, it's weighted. It's got to be.

"I've been here 11 years. I've been through so many quarterbacks here. It sucks. You need one."'

http://www.buffalone...ills-drive-1082

This team is absolutely desparate for a qb. They are going to take one with their first pick.

Great summary. I completely agree. The team needs to pick a QB in Rd 1 and not be short-changed by not having their choice in Rd 2.

I'd bet it was also eerie reading the News this a.m., knowing we lost a Legend yesterday..

I wouldn't want to see a QB @ 8 because the general consensus is no one is worthy there. Enduring so many poor seasons is why we draft early. Why we'd select a QB that high which no one with insights believes is worthy just feels like more doom..

But I don't run the team so I'll go with their choice, like I always do.

As far as I'm concerned, there are seven rounds and a bunch of UDFA's - and that's a lot of players overlooked by a lot of people. You hear so much talk about why the Bills should NOT take a QB in RD 1 - because, they say, the quality does not match the value, and if you miss on a QB in round 1, or a player in the top 10, regardless of position, you put your team back years.

I ask this: if you take a QB in RD 1 and miss on him, but your 4th rounder turns into a pro-bowler, isn't that sort of a wash? What if your other picks are great, and you end up with 5 starters out of a particular draft, with a few pro-bowlers - does that mean that you set your team back years because you missed on the first pick?

The answer is NO. If you look at GM's around the league, the average starters gained from a draft is about 3, and if you get one pro-bowler per draft (about where Ozzie Newsome is) then you're considered a good GM, if not very good.

Now, it doesn't matter which round those players come from. That is something that is lost in the chatter, I think. Anyway, that is how I look at drafts. There are good enough players in every draft - and this one especially - where the Bills could be picking starters into the 4th round, and if they do their homework, and if everyone is on the same page, and they know what they're doing, they could find starters beyond that, as well.

That is my biggest fear coming into this draft - not that Buffalo misses on any one pick, but that Marrone, Pettine, Nix, and Whaley are not on the same page, not united in their vision. Nothing could throw a wrench into our hopes for this season more than that, I think.

Edited by KeisterHollow

If the bills would have drafted Tom Brady or Tony Romo or even Kurt Warner in the first round people would have flipped out. . Also QB,s like Joe Theisman, Bart Starr (drafted in round 17) and Roger Staubach (Round 10) who all turned out to be pretty good were drafted late. My point is the draft is a crap shoot. One of the articles on TBD showed that only about 50% of first round QB's pan out, so I say roll the dice (or flip a coin if it is 50/50). If there is someone there you like who cares whether someone thinks they are worthy or not of the pick, time will be the deciding factor. I would rather flip a coin on a QB at 8 than draft another Maybin.

Man, i just don't know...I guess it all hinges on how much input they give Marrone and how much weight it carries. I have to billieve they are going to give him what he wants.

That being said, and considering Marrones history...getting a guy to get them by in year 1 (Paulus, a grad student @ Cuse) and his style of changing a teams culture right out the gate, leads me to think he may be OK with Kolb, year one anyway. I mean, the Paulus move in Cuse was the NFL equivalent of signing a stop gap FA, ie. Kolb.

Not saying the won't take a QB in this draft, as I think there are a couple that may pan out to be a surprise, but I can't get past my hang ups on the "top" guys in this class (which seem to be shared by many "pros" and "joes" alike).

That article is 100% spot on!

Quit screwing around, take a damn QB at #8 and coach this kid up. I am sick of these whiners listening to the talking heads that don't know ****. It is past time to pull the trigger and take Barkley at #8. The kid is ready, the kid still has a ton of upside, he is the most pro ready.

Cut the crap and take him at #8 then fill in around him.

That article is 100% spot on!

Quit screwing around, take a damn QB at #8 and coach this kid up. I am sick of these whiners listening to the talking heads that don't know ****. It is past time to pull the trigger and take Barkley at #8. The kid is ready, the kid still has a ton of upside, he is the most pro ready.

Cut the crap and take him at #8 then fill in around him.

This has become my feeling...if they QB they want is there at #8, then take him. If they also see a QB they like in the later rounds, then take him.

Barkley and his wobble passes, it would be like throwing a nerf ball on a windy day in Buffalo. Get EJ Mauel and coach a guy up that has all the intangibles to be a great QB. They say he is a leader, he is smart, he has a rocket for an arm, he has agility, he is quick, he has great size, and he comes from a quality school and played against top competition. The only knock on him is that SOME people say he needs to work on his accuracy. Damn, if you want to coach a kid up for a year; this is your guy, period!!!

I wouldn't want to see a QB @ 8 because the general consensus is no one is worthy there. Enduring so many poor seasons is why we draft early. Why we'd select a QB that high which no one with insights believes is worthy just feels like more doom..

Actually, Jaws said this morning that Geno Smith is the only one that he feels is top 10 pick worthy.

Dagnubit.

But seriously, Nix has so massively pickled himself. He passed on numerous solid QB prospects and went all in on Fitzpatrick, and now he's stuck being desperate for a QB in the worst QB draft in a long time.

My reaction is one gigantic sigh. It's all so Bills-like.

My reasoning for taking a QB at 8 is that you are getting your pick of the crop. If you wait until RD2, you are getting whats left after the other QB. I want the Bills brass to identify the very best QB in this draft class and to go get him. All other positional needs are secondary in importance to me. If they identify Barkley, Manuel, Nassib, Smith or whomever else as their top rated QB in this draft, then take him at 8 and be done.

Barkley and his wobble passes, it would be like throwing a nerf ball on a windy day in Buffalo. Get EJ Mauel and coach a guy up that has all the intangibles to be a great QB. They say he is a leader, he is smart, he has a rocket for an arm, he has agility, he is quick, he has great size, and he comes from a quality school and played against top competition. The only knock on him is that SOME people say he needs to work on his accuracy. Damn, if you want to coach a kid up for a year; this is your guy, period!!!

Ah the Arm strength crew rear its ugly head. Arm strength doesn't mean ****. I am sick of hearing of windy days in Buffalo, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be and yes I have sat in the blowing snow at Rich..err the Ralph so I have been there and experienced it first hand.

Arm strength is the most over rated thing in the NFL process. The arm has to be strong enough and Barkleys is. BTW payton maning threw it the same way coming out, it didn't hurt him. Brady had a weak arm coming out, as did Aikman, Brees. Montana etal.

Barkley is crazy football smart, played some top teams and this kid can deliver whatever ball you want. Did you see the NFLN special on him training with Mooch? Barkley has been working with Chris Weinke (who is now known to train top QB prospects) and he said when Barkely sets his feet he throws it with the same strength as Cam Newton. How does he know? Cam trained with CW as well before his combine and draft. The throws are there on film, he can throw it in a window, he can throw the 18-20 yard outs.

Just like Kurt Warner said about this arm strength crap experts and fans want a guy who can throw it 70 yards. He said he never threw it 70 yards in the NFL, you don't need that elite arm strength, just timing and know who to get it to and be able to do so.

F getting a QB at 8...Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder revisited. No thanks. Trade down and then reconsider is what I advocate.

Whatever they do, they'd better be right. In Buddy I do not trust.

So miss out on the top QB and settle for a lesser one and hope he works out?

I really wish you guys would quit listening to the damn media

Actually, Jaws said this morning that Geno Smith is the only one that he feels is top 10 pick worthy.

What NFL team pays him to scout QB's? None. That means his opinion is no more than any other fan. He isn't a QB coach, he isn't an OC, hell the guy isn't even a scout. He played average for a few years and went into broadcasting or no one outside Philly would remember this clown existed.

Ah the Arm strength crew rear its ugly head. Arm strength doesn't mean ****. I am sick of hearing of windy days in Buffalo, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be and yes I have sat in the blowing snow at Rich..err the Ralph so I have been there and experienced it first hand.

Arm strength is the most over rated thing in the NFL process. The arm has to be strong enough and Barkleys is. BTW payton maning threw it the same way coming out, it didn't hurt him. Brady had a weak arm coming out, as did Aikman, Brees. Montana etal.

Barkley is crazy football smart, played some top teams and this kid can deliver whatever ball you want. Did you see the NFLN special on him training with Mooch? Barkley has been working with Chris Weinke (who is now known to train top QB prospects) and he said when Barkely sets his feet he throws it with the same strength as Cam Newton. How does he know? Cam trained with CW as well before his combine and draft. The throws are there on film, he can throw it in a window, he can throw the 18-20 yard outs.

Just like Kurt Warner said about this arm strength crap experts and fans want a guy who can throw it 70 yards. He said he never threw it 70 yards in the NFL, you don't need that elite arm strength, just timing and know who to get it to and be able to do so.

What NFL team pays him to scout QB's? None. That means his opinion is no more than any other fan. He isn't a QB coach, he isn't an OC, hell the guy isn't even a scout. He played average for a few years and went into broadcasting or no one outside Philly would remember this clown existed.

I've seen enough of these guys to formulate my own opinion. Rather presumptuous of you to think otherwise.

With only six picks and other needs beyond QB, the team needs to know how to play the draft game to fill other holes.

So again I say, :censored: taking any of these QBs at 8.

As far as I'm concerned, there are seven rounds and a bunch of UDFA's - and that's a lot of players overlooked by a lot of people. You hear so much talk about why the Bills should NOT take a QB in RD 1 - because, they say, the quality does not match the value, and if you miss on a QB in round 1, or a player in the top 10, regardless of position, you put your team back years.

I ask this: if you take a QB in RD 1 and miss on him, but your 4th rounder turns into a pro-bowler, isn't that sort of a wash? What if your other picks are great, and you end up with 5 starters out of a particular draft, with a few pro-bowlers - does that mean that you set your team back years because you missed on the first pick?

The answer is NO. If you look at GM's around the league, the average starters gained from a draft is about 3, and if you get one pro-bowler per draft (about where Ozzie Newsome is) then you're considered a good GM, if not very good.

Now, it doesn't matter which round those players come from. That is something that is lost in the chatter, I think. Anyway, that is how I look at drafts. There are good enough players in every draft - and this one especially - where the Bills could be picking starters into the 4th round, and if they do their homework, and if everyone is on the same page, and they know what they're doing, they could find starters beyond that, as well.

That is my biggest fear coming into this draft - not that Buffalo misses on any one pick, but that Marrone, Pettine, Nix, and Whaley are not on the same page, not united in their vision. Nothing could throw a wrench into our hopes for this season more than that, I think.

I completely agree. It sounds like the coaches want up-tempo attacking players. It's not just about getting players that grade high according to a generic cross-team scorecard of some type. We need to find players we're comfortable can contribute to the specific team we're building.

And I agree, the focus on the first round is overblown. I think it's mostly driven by the mass-media reductionism to scale the stories to what a casual fan can understand or cares about. But, for the professionals, I think the 2nd-4th rounds are where they really earn (or fail to earn) their money. There is significant talent still available if youcan find it. After every draft I feel like everyone knew about the first rounders, but maybe our scouts found another gem like Kyle Williams or Terrence Mcgee later in the draft.

Um, Jaws is from Buffalo (Lackawana) and was a local legend. I think people in Buffalo remember him.

In Reply to kellyto83TD:

I don't care about the 70 yard throw as much as I do hitting a 15-20 yard seam route with tight coverage. Do you know how many times I have heard on the radio after a Bills game a QB talking about how it was a tough day throwing at the Ralph because of the swirling winds. There have been so many games where the Bills have chosen not to throw until they had the wind at their backs. For you to say you have sat at the Ralph and you don't think wind is an issue tells me everything I need to know about your credability. For every expert who says arm strength is not a factor I can give you 5 that say it is; just read what the Bills scouts say about it. But, other than that, I still believe Manuel has so many other qualitues as well, that it would be hard to pass him up.

Also, you said some things about Jaws not being associated with any team as a scout or coach. Is Kurt Warner? You don't have to be a scout or coach to be an expert in football.

I saw that. Then he gushed about every other QB in the draft.. I enjoy and respect the effort Jaws puts into his breakdowns, but he just Loves QB's too much to be a fair assessor, IMO.