Is it time to draft a kicker?

zow2

Sorry Rian, it's time. NFL teams must have a guy that can kick 55 yard distance with relative ease. It will never be a gimme kick, but teams have to be able to attempt those as so many NFL games come down to a few points..

So with that being said, keep an eye on two guys, Caleb Sturgis of Florida and Dustin Hopkins of Florida State. If i had my pick I would take Sturgis.

Never in a millions years will Buddy take a K when he only has 6 picks and tons of needs. But agree with you that we need one. I was stoked last year with that kid we got. Was a monster in camps and in pre season but once the season hit he couldn't crack the touchback barrier.

Not this year, too many other holes. If they're dead set on getting one it'll be UDFA

Agreed, but if Buddy somehow trades down and gets an extra pick or two (that he deperately wants), i would not be against using a late round pick on a K.

Sorry Rian, it's time. NFL teams must have a guy that can kick 55 yard distance with relative ease. It will never be a gimme kick, but teams have to be able to attempt those as so many NFL games come down to a few points..

So with that being said, keep an eye on two guys, Caleb Sturgis of Florida and Dustin Hopkins of Florida State. If i had my pick I would take Sturgis.

I think FG accuracy is more important than kickoffs.

It's time to take a kicker. When you punt from the 32 b/c you don't trust the kicker to attemp a 49 yarder -it's time. Last year both pro bowl kickers were rookies. That is a position that did not always translate well from college to the pros. That seems like a trend that is changing.

Besides what's more important to your team a special teamed, your last lineman or your kicker?!? 6th round picks have a 9% chance if success (according to Casserly). I am not sure what he defines as success though. Would you rather have Zebrie Sanders, Mark Asper or Greg Zeurlien (sp)?

I don't know of they'll take one but Dustin Hopkins from FSU is a stud

True, and Sturgis might be the best kicker ever at Florida,.....so says several people who have followed that team religiously for decades.

We have too many holes to draft a kicker 2 years in a row. I’d rather bring Potter back for camp to see if he’s been working on his FG accuracy or another UDFA than using a pick on a kicker. I also don’t really know if Lindell can’t make a 50+ yard kick anymore or if Chan was too much of a wuss to even try for the fear of giving the opponent good field position. Based on some of the interviews Lindell gave last year, he alluded that he thought he could make it but Chan never gave him a chance…I also know that it seems like the player is the last to realize he can’t do it anymore. I’m all for bringing in some serious competition for #9 (not just a camp leg) and let the best man win.

Edited by cnico

If the best kicker in the draft has a big leg and is there in the 6th (or 7th if we get one) I'd be all for it. I think he would have a better chance of having an impact on our team than a position player.

We have too many holes to draft a kicker 2 years in a row. I’d rather bring Potter back for camp to see if he’s been working on his FG accuracy or another UDFA than using a pick on a kicker. I also don’t really know if Lindell can’t make a 50+ yard kick anymore or if Chan was too much of a wuss to even try for the fear of giving the opponent good field position. Based on some of the interviews Lindell gave last year, he alluded that he thought he could make it but Chan never gave him a chance…I also know that it seems like the player is the last to realize he can’t do it anymore. I’m all for bringing in some serious competition for #9 (not just a camp leg) and let the best man win.

Who that is drafted in the 6th round will play a more important role than kicker?

Who that is drafted in the 6th round will play a more important role than kicker?

The expected snarky response from the board is so obvious, it nearly writes itself.

I agree with you 100% that if there's a guy that can upgrade the position late, I'd be all for it.... But brace for the Brady comments. They'll come.

The expected snarky response from the board is so obvious, it nearly writes itself.

I agree with you 100% that if there's a guy that can upgrade the position late, I'd be all for it.... But brace for the Brady comments. They'll come.

Ha ha...good point. I always forget that EVERY 6th round pick could be the next Tom Brady. Everyone remembers Brady but no one remembers the impact that Mark Asper made.

You never know. Who’s to say that the kicker drafted in the 6th will turn out to be any good? At that point it’s mostly based on potential and is kind of a crap shoot. There are a bunch of guys in the league that were drafted in the 6th or lower. Maybe we find the next SJ13, Donald Driver or even Mr. Butt Chin. As of right now, compared to other positions, I just don’t think that a kicker is really high on the list of needs because I don’t know for certain that Lindell cannot hit from 50+. I’d rather find a position player with all the physical tools that needs some time to develop.