Barkley vs Nassib.

This is what it may come down to folks.

With the Jets having the #9 and #13 picks overall and in need of a QB the Bills may feel forced to go with a QB at #8 so that they can be afforded the luxury of selecting the QB of their choice rather than taking what is left over (if they should decide to trade down or wait until R2).

From all accounts that I've read recently, that QB seems to be a choice between Barkley and Nassib. I think Nassib has the advantage because if it's deemed to be very close then I think Marrone would push for Nassib.

See link below for a comparison of the two and whether this comparison sways you one way of the other.

The link: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/22/4250878/2013-nfl-draft-debate-matt-barkley-ryan-nassib.

Q1: Do you agree with the linked assessment??

Q2: Do you think that with the Jets now having the #9 and #13 picks that it essentially forces the Bills to take a QB at #8??

The link: http://www.buffaloru...ley-ryan-nassib.

Q1: Do you agree with the linked assessment??

With regard to this statement, absolutely: "In fact, let me be perfectly clear about this: if I were making the call, I wouldn't draft either player with the No. 8 pick."

Q2: Do you think that with the Jets now having the #9 and #13 picks that it essentially forces the Bills to take a QB at #8??

I hope not. IMO, taking anyone of these QBs at #8 would be a PR move rather than a good football decision. A top-10 pick has to be a year-one or two difference maker--and none of this year's prospects fits that bill for me.

I can't see the Jets enamored enough with either Barkley or Nassib to use the #9 or #13 there either. I can see them going more for pass rush and receiver help, like the poster who said Mingo and Austin.

i prefer neither and would love to see them trade down and get extra picks

i dont like the idea of taking a QB at 8 simply bc they need one

This is the way I am starting to lean. If a trade-back opportunity presents itself, I think the Bills would be foolish to pass it up. That said, if an "elite" prospect (i.e., Lane Johnson, Dee Milliner) should somehow slip to #8, I think they should pull the trigger. I'd be happy with Tyler Bray or Matt Scott in round 3 to develop under Kolb for a year.

I'd still trade down. Worst case and Jets take Nassib then Geno and Barkley are still there plus we can get an extra pick. Nassib isn't better then either of those guys let alone either of those guys PLUS another starter

I'd prefer that the Bills trade down to acquire more picks. They only have 6 picks this year. If they reach for a QB at #8 and he turns out to be a dud (which could easily happen since so many pundits think this is nothing more than an average QB class) then the their 2013 draft could turn into a disaster.

Conversely, if they trade down to say #16 and acquire additional R2 and R4 picks in the process for instance, then they'll have more opportunities in the first four rounds (R1-1, R2-2, R3-1, R4-2) to fill their overall needs, including their need at QB.

I just finished watching even more game film on him, and there's no doubt in my mind he will be a very good QB in the NFL. Previously, I was pulling for Cordarelle Patterson at #8, then Nassib at #41, but there's no way this kid is still on the board if we pass on him.

I was ecstatic when the Bills picked Spiller, and I'd be just as excited if they pick Nassib at #8. There are no guarantees he'll be the next Jim Kelly, but he is the first guy in the draft I thought we had a shot at since we passed on Jay Cutler in 2006.

It's time to get the guy the coaches can have faith in and start winning some games. I'd also be ok if we drafted Matt Barkley, or Landry JOnes, but I am really hoping we pick up Nassib. I did not even have a clue of his talents prior to Marrone being hired, but I know who he is now...

According to some, when a team plays another team, the QB is the only one who gets credit for the win or loss. Thus, Nassib is better than Geno Smith and Barkley is better than Nassib.

But honestly, it's a real interesting question. Nassib, IMO, overachieved at Cuse. I think he maybe maxed out. Marrone saw 1st hand Barkley threw 11 tds and 1 ints against his team. For some reason, I think the Bills like Barkley better.

I really think they really like Nassib and will not take thd chance on losing him especially go the Jets

I think the lazy media just connected the dots on that. Cuse coach needs the Cuse QB. IF could be wrong, but I don't think Marrone recruited Nassib.

I just finished watching even more game film on him, and there's no doubt in my mind he will be a very good QB in the NFL. Previously, I was pulling for Cordarelle Patterson at #8, then Nassib at #41, but there's no way this kid is still on the board if we pass on him.

I was ecstatic when the Bills picked Spiller, and I'd be just as excited if they pick Nassib at #8. There are no guarantees he'll be the next Jim Kelly, but he is the first guy in the draft I thought we had a shot at since we passed on Jay Cutler in 2006.

It's time to get the guy the coaches can have faith in and start winning some games. I'd also be ok if we drafted Matt Barkley, or Landry JOnes, but I am really hoping we pick up Nassib. I did not even have a clue of his talents prior to Marrone being hired, but I know who he is now...

How did you get access to game film? Or are you watching highlights? Or television broadcasts?

Just curious, because to my knowledge, actual game film (which is All-22 view) isn't available to the general public.

We're on different pages homie. I want no part of PAtterson at #8 (one year wonder on a bad team). I also think Cutler is an overrated douchebag (not a leader, been to the playoffs once in his career) and would only want Landry Jones if he was an UDFA.

But other than that, I agree with everything you posted. :nana:

I think the lazy media just connected the dots on that. Cuse coach needs the Cuse QB. IF could be wrong, but I don't think Marrone recruited Nassib.

He didn't. In fact he chose or brought in Greg Paulus the hoop player to play QB over Nassib his first year. He did, however, see Nassib improve steadily. And therein lies the rub. Does Marrone think he got all he could out of Nassib or does he think the sky is the limit.

It could be either. And he could think the sky is the limit but he could do even better with a sky is the limit prospect like Manuel with more physical skills

It's easier to imagine he thinks the sky is the limit with Nassib because of how he picked up the new offense and then exploded on the scene the last half of the season. But that doesn't make it true, just easier to imagine.

He didn't. In fact he chose or brought in Greg Paulus the hoop player to play QB over Nassib his first year. He did, however, see Nassib improve steadily. And therein lies the rub. Does Marrone think he got all he could out of Nassib or does he think the sky is the limit.

It could be either. And he could think the sky is the limit but he could do even better with a sky is the limit prospect like Manuel with more physical skills

It's easier to imagine he thinks the sky is the limit with Nassib because of how he picked up the new offense and then exploded on the scene the last half of the season. But that doesn't make it true, just easier to imagine.

Yeah, it's very similar to Tannehill and Sherman last year. I do know that if I'm a team that wants a QB and the Bills pass on Nassib for another QB, I'd probably avoid RN. It will be very telling if Marrone passes on his college QB.

I'd still trade down. Worst case and Jets take Nassib then Geno and Barkley are still there plus we can get an extra pick. Nassib isn't better then either of those guys let alone either of those guys PLUS another starter

Agree with this. Not to mention, a 1st round QB would be in an impossible situation with Rex as a lameduck and Sanchez still on the team. As long as no QB's are taken before the 8th pick, I'd trade down. Worst case you get your 1B pick at QB. Jets taking a QB doesn't worry me at all. Even if they do, it's almost a wasted pick for them and you still get at worst your 2nd choice.

That is indeed very good analysis of the two, ChanOverChin. One thing I would add is that Nassib started 38 straight games without missing one, and Barkley is injury-prone and coming off a serious throwing shoulder injury.

He missed 4 games in his college career. I would not call that 'injury prone"

And P.S. - Jim Kelly was coming off a serious shoulder injury when we picked him.

According to some, when a team plays another team, the QB is the only one who gets credit for the win or loss. Thus, Nassib is better than Geno Smith and Barkley is better than Nassib.

But honestly, it's a real interesting question. Nassib, IMO, overachieved at Cuse. I think he maybe maxed out. Marrone saw 1st hand Barkley threw 11 tds and 1 ints against his team. For some reason, I think the Bills like Barkley better.

1) you are correct. Marrone did not recruit Nassib. Nassib was a red shirt freshman when Marrone arrived at cuse. Marrone could have brought in his own guy, but didn't. That speaks volumes about Nassib.

2) If you believe that Nassib overachieved at cuse driving a Ford Focus and in the same sentence you believe he's maxed out, how can that be? If he can exceed expectations in a Ford Focus, how is it possible that he can do the the same or worse driving Lamborghini? If anyone is maxed out, wouldn't it be Barkley? He's surrounded by pros. He's been driving a Lamborghini for 4 years. Stepping into the pro realm is almost a lateral move for him. Did he underachieve or overachieve? Where's the upside?

Edited by Dr. Trooth

We're on different pages homie. I want no part of PAtterson at #8 (one year wonder on a bad team). I also think Cutler is an overrated douchebag (not a leader, been to the playoffs once in his career) and would only want Landry Jones if he was an UDFA.

But other than that, I agree with everything you posted. :nana:

LOL... I totally agree with you these days about Cutler, I had no idea of his colossal douche-bag untapped potential back in 2006, but man did he develop nicely into the #1 DoucheBag in the league lol....

As far as my opinion on Patterson, I know he is a huge risk, but the kid just got better each week, and I really see him becoming a serious weapon...