PFC: 5 Reasons the Bills Should Draft Barkley

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last thing I would do is call barkley "" soft"" after the beating he took behind that offensive line its a miracle he made it out alive....i mean seriously...usc offensive line made the Eagles line look GODLY.....and that is saying alot....barkley will be a tremendous upgrade a qb for us...how easy ppl here forget. In 2011 if barkley would have went pro he would of been easily a top three pick maybe top 2 over RGlll in draft..usc overall has a down year(laughing stock,of a defense and offensive line) and suddenlly it was all barkleys fault......so much that ppl are actually debating if he is even worth a first round selection........wow just wow...we as fans should be happy as heck if we land barkley cuz if he would turned pro in 2011 there was no way we would have a chance in drafting him

Edited by Hotpockets28

Please god no...

Look, maybe I'm just being too pessimistic. Maybe he can play under harsh weather conditions, but I hear "Southern California" and "subpar arm" and that sends black clouds everywhere.

Look, Barkley's biggest upside is that he is the most polished of all draft picks. That is honestly the best thing I've heard about him. And if the Bills pre-Kolb, I would have grudgingly looked at that attribute as a major plus. Now, we can draft someone who doesn't NEED to start. To be honest, Barkley sounds like a Kolb clone, only Kolb weathered Philadelphia, has a bigger arm and can run faster...so, someone who is like Kolb except inferior in almost every way doesn't sound like a big upside.

Geno probably has the highest upside, Nassib has the advantage of knowing the system and having better physical tools and still seems to have room to grow, and Manuel is the most physically gifted. I would take ALL of these guys over Barkley.

Going into the 1998 draft, there was a debate about whether Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf was the better quarterback. Manning was described as being more "polished," and was seen as an appropriate pick for a team which needed a QB right away. Leaf was considered more of a long-term project, but supposedly had the higher "upside" due to his higher level of arm strength.

I'll take a "polished" QB over a strong-armed QB every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Accuracy, Intelligence, and Guts - those are the top factors in determining good QB's, IMO. Both Nassib and Barkley have those traits. I think either would succeed in Buffalo, and both would, within a few years, if not sooner, bring us back to the playoffs. I happen to think Barkley will be successful sooner, but I think Nassib has a real toughness and competitiveness that eventually wins out, too. You know, I also think Wilson has these qualities, and would be a good choice for us. Those are my favorite QB's in this draft.

I know Manuel has a big upside, but I think his success will depend a lot more on the scheme he ends up in, whereas the above mentioned 3 have the skills to succeed in most systems.

I know Manuel has a big upside, but I think his success will depend a lot more on the scheme he ends up in, whereas the above mentioned 3 have the skills to succeed in most systems.

And I think that is why neither Wilson nor Kaepernick would have succeeded here, because Gailey would never have put them in a position to succeed running the cottails of Fitz!

Barkley would be a HUGE mistake. Nothing special there and most importantly does not have a strong arm

Time will tell. He is the best of the lot. Will he be successful in the NFL? Who Know!

According to the rules, Parcells would not have drafted Elway.

Ironically the only QB who Parcells' drafted that fit his own rules was Pennington.

He also drafted Hostetler and Bledsoe but neither fit into his rules.

Accuracy, Intelligence, and Guts - those are the top factors in determining good QB's, IMO. Both Nassib and Barkley have those traits. I think either would succeed in Buffalo, and both would, within a few years, if not sooner, bring us back to the playoffs. I happen to think Barkley will be successful sooner, but I think Nassib has a real toughness and competitiveness that eventually wins out, too. You know, I also think Wilson has these qualities, and would be a good choice for us. Those are my favorite QB's in this draft.

I feel like you have this backwards. Nassib can't throw a deep ball. He's a prime example of a scheme quarterback. Marrone understood this and designed an offense that would capitalize on his strengths and to some extent removed the deep ball from the playbook, kinda like Gailey correctly did for Fitzpatrick. Barkley and Nassib are the scheme passers who need to be in a WCO type of system and get the ball out quickly. Manuel is the high upside guy with all the physical tools you could ask for.

+1. Barkley all the way. When you have the chance to draft a possible franchise QB, you have to take a shot at it. None of these QBs will be available at #41.

Even if you have only convinced yourself that a guy is a "possible franchise QB" because you really, really, really need one and you kind of messed up in several drafts by not getting one? Our need for a QB is unrelated to whether or not there is a starting, play off caliber QB in this draft. There probably isn't and if there is, there is just as much chance that it is a guy we can get in the 3rd round as a guy we could overdraft in the first round. I would rather take a guard, or a pass rusher in the first round that has an 80% of being worth the pick than a QB who has a 15% of being worth the pick. Of all the years to overdraft a QB, this isn't the one.

I think the Revis deal has changed things a little for us. Now the Jets have two picks high in the first round. They need a QB, too. They're said to be high on the same people Buffalo are high on. I mean, there are really probably only 4 QB's most of the teams in need of a QB would be high on in the first 2 rounds... so, if Buffalo does want Barkley or Nassib, I think taking them at 8 has become even more of a lock.

Barkley doesn't look frail to me - he looks pretty stocky. AND, Nix mentioned numerous times that he was getting pummelled his senior year behind a porous line. I have liked Barkley all along as my favorite QB in this draft, but I must admit, the positives on Nassib are all positive qualities that I feel the best QB's possess. He has the strength of a linebacker, the intelligence to make all the reads and quick processing, and he played well in a very pro-style offense already. Add to that, as many here have stated, he succeeded behind and with players that would not have started on teams like USC. So, although Barkley just looked more like a very good pro to me, perhaps Nassib would have looked even better on a team like USC.

Frankly, I think the Bills have too much riding on getting a QB to be the next franchise QB here, and have too many intelligent football minds making the analysis, to get this wrong. As far as I'm concerned, they're in the perfect position to get a franchise QB this year - perhaps the best position they'll have for another 10-20 years - because they might very well have a shot at any QB they want this year at 8.

Do you really think that the J-E-S-T would trade up to take another USC qb?

I understand all the USC qb talk, hate, garbage, truth, etc.

But how could they sell that to the fanbase? "We traded the best cornerback since Deion, so we could move up and take Sanchez/Leinhart 2.0"

-----

And as i've said in previous posts, every team should be trying to WIN THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR. If the Bills do not take a qb at 8, then they are not trying to win the superbowl this year. Rinse, repeat.

Edited by maddenboy

Even if you have only convinced yourself that a guy is a "possible franchise QB" because you really, really, really need one and you kind of messed up in several drafts by not getting one? Our need for a QB is unrelated to whether or not there is a starting, play off caliber QB in this draft. There probably isn't and if there is, there is just as much chance that it is a guy we can get in the 3rd round as a guy we could overdraft in the first round. I would rather take a guard, or a pass rusher in the first round that has an 80% of being worth the pick than a QB who has a 15% of being worth the pick. Of all the years to overdraft a QB, this isn't the one.

This is exactly what Nix thought during the past two drafts and it cost him Kaepernick, Dalton and Wilson. A guard is not a game changer. A QB is.

And as i've said in previous posts, every team should be trying to WIN THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR. If the Bills do not take a qb at 8, then they are not trying to win the superbowl this year. Rinse, repeat.

+1. The talk that there are no franchise QBs in this draft is nonsense. If you go back to draft history you will find every QB having their own weakness, but the good ones being able to overcome that. This year is no different.

I was not initially thinking Nassib was a good idea because I didn't know enough about him, and I didn't want to see the team draft the new coaching staff's guy just because they coached him at syracuse. I didn't want to see a repeat of Jimmy Johnson and his wasted pick of steve walsh in Dallas, but I have really been digging up anything I can find on film of him and Barkley, and I think Nassib may just very well be the real deal, big time. Barkley is a quality QB, and a year ago everyone wanted to "Blow for Barkley" if I remember correctly. I don't think the Bills would be making a mistake by picking a QB at #8 if it's either of these 2 guys in any way, but to waste the pick on Geno Smith, or an iffy WR or an interior lineman just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'd like to see them take the guy they want, and this team needs this year at #8, rather than a BPA type of selection.

It's been 20 years of 1st picks that have come to Buffalo and the team has gotten nowhere. What difference does it make if it's a wasted pick? Entire careers of good (and bad) picks have passed. The best guard of all time could be selected, but if they still don't have a QB, he won't have any real impact on the team's fortunes.

Reason 6....Buffalo not getting value for a first round pick in years...

How are they going to get "value" out of ANY player without finding a QB? Like I said, entire careers have passed since the team has had a good Qb.

20 years!

It's been 20 years of 1st picks that have come to Buffalo and the team has gotten nowhere. What difference does it make if it's a wasted pick? Entire careers of good (and bad) picks have passed. The best guard of all time could be selected, but if they still don't have a QB, he won't have any real impact on the team's fortunes.

How are they going to get "value" out of ANY player without finding a QB? Like I said, entire careers have passed since the team has had a good Qb.

20 years!

This.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree on the terminology.

In the end, I bet you're at least a little bit concerned about how Barkley is going to hold up in the NFL. 4 games in 4 years sounds okay, but like I said, if last season's injury had occurred in Game 1, we would be looking at 14 games in 4 years, right?

Look at it this way. How much worse would his injury resume have to be to not be considered a top QB prospect? Missing games in 4 out of 4 seasons instead of 3 out of 4? 2 season-ending injuries to his throwing shoulder instead of 1? He's basically already at the limit and that's not even counting another injury that occurred in the offseason of his sophomore year which required surgery that most people aren't even aware of: http://latimesblogs....-practice-.html

I also don't like that his freshman season injury was the same as his senior season injury, just not as severe obviously. Is he going to continue to land awkwardly on his right throwing shoulder throughout his career? He's already got questionable arm strength. And oh yeah, we have to draft him coming off the season-ending injury without the benefit of seeing him play in any more games to see how he and his throwing shoulder will react? I just don't like it.

Did you actually see the hit in the UCLA game that he got injured. Any QB in the NFL would of injured his shoulder on that play. That is not being frail, that is getting the wood laid on you.