A draft that would make me happy

Using Astro’s assumption that the Bill’s will draft from among their 30 visits, I think I will be very disappointed in the draft this year. I know we can’t always get what we want, but this would be an ideal draft for me.

Trade back to a late 1st round pick and get 3 picks in the first two rounds. Using those three picks we grab from among this group.

WR - Hunter, DeAndre Hopkins LB – Minter, Te’o . Only if they are very confident they have a Franchise QB from among them, not just a starting QB – Manuel, Barkley, Wilson If no QB in the first two rounds, then OT - Lane Johnson, Jonathan Cooper

If a position was not filled in an earlier round In the 3rd:

From among TE - Vance McDonald LB - Kevin Reddick, Khaseem Greene WR - Da’Rick Rodgers QB – Scott, Nassib, Bray

The remaining rounds would be BPA at position of need. I am not mentioning any players I think have little chance of being available after the mid late first round. I am not omitting them because I wouldn’t like them.

We need to convince Minnesota (who has 23,25), STL (who has 16,22) or San Fran (who has 31 and a very early second) that there is one particular player worth trading up for at 8. Ken Vaccaro? Dee Milliner? Two guys who, if still available, may help us out as trade bait.

Trade back to a late 1st round pick and get 3 picks in the first two rounds. Using those three picks we grab from among this group.

WR - Hunter, DeAndre Hopkins LB – Minter, Te’o . Only if they are very confident they have a Franchise QB from among them, not just a starting QB – Manuel, Barkley, Wilson If no QB in the first two rounds, then OT - Lane Johnson, Jonathan Cooper

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but if you are implying that Lane Johnson and/or Jonathan Cooper will be available late in the first round, I think that is highly unlikely (especially on Lane Johnson, who should easily be a top 15 pick). Just for the sake of conversation, if both of those O-Linemen were gone, who would you take instead?

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but if you are implying that Lane Johnson and/or Jonathan Cooper will be available late in the first round, I think that is highly unlikely (especially on Lane Johnson, who should easily be a top 15 pick). Just for the sake of conversation, if both of those O-Linemen were gone, who would you take instead?

I think you are right about Johnson, but Cooper could definitely be there outside of the top 15, in fact if Cooper is not taken in the top 15, he could easily fall to late 1st. I left Johnson in in case we ended up with a trade partner that was mid first round. It all depends on the QB picks in round 1. If as some still think, 3 are picked in the top 15, a lot of talent will drop to the mid to late 1st. While I would rather trade to the late first and pick up another 2nd, 3rd round pick, any trade down that gives us more picks in the lst two rounds would be hard to pass on if it was close to trade value. If it was a mid 1st Johnson could be there if there is a run on QBs.

Have you looked at our current group of WR's? How about QB and TE? We need a lot of help on offense.

We need a lot of help everywhere. There isn't a QB I'd consider in the first three rounds and the strength of this draft is defense. Get the players who will make a difference- they are on the defensive side. Reach for mediocre players and you will end up with a mediocre team. No more Roscoe Parrishes

I am starting to become very anti-QB. I am tired of seeing us hit and miss on QB's at every turn. Of course, if we do not get up to bat we will never hit a homerun... I just have too many doubts and have read too many skeptics on this years class to want to jump up and hit anywhere in the top 4 or 5 of that lineup. There will be good at bats to be had later.

I'm with Jboy. This is the first year i can remember(and for the record i have only been really following the draft in earnest the last few years so my knowledge pool is shallow) that the QB class is so discombobulated in terms of perceived talent. And even if we have an amazing QB if he gets railed in the backfield and has no one to throw too, what good is he. Along that line, you could have a great QB and weapons for him and have a D that just can't hold for crap and end up like the packers. (yes yes they did win a superbowl, but we aren't going to magically fix all our holes in 1 yr)

Gents, we must draft a QB this year. We must. But we don't necessarily need to draft one at #8 overall.

In R2 at #41 overall (or even sooner if the Bills are able to trade up in R2) I think the Bills need to seriously consider selecting a QB. Guys like Barkley and Nassib would be good options at that point. Whomever we draft at QB won't likely be the starter this year. Nonetheless, we must have a credit worthy young QB on the team to develop so that the team at least has some hope for greatness.

There's no problem with drafting another QB next year as well, but I don't think it would be wise to not draft a QB at all this year or draft a slug in R5 or R6 who may never be a viable starter either.

You have to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you because those opportunities may not be there in the future when you want them to be.

Barkley/Nassib may only be the equivalent of a Dalton and not a Marino for instance, but that's at least a starting point and something that the coaches can work with and develop into something better. They would at least give us the chance to be competitive. Conversely, they may turn into an A. Rodgers 2-3 years down the road...........much like Rodgers did.

Bottom line................nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I know the Vikes want Tavon Austin badly to replace the headcase that just got traded, but they would look like fools for trading BOTH #1's when they just could have kept Harvin. I see a team like St. Louis giving us a first and 2nd to move up.

Now the other option is to trade back multiple times which can possibly be done.

Have you looked at our current group of WR's? How about QB and TE? We need a lot of help on offense.

Exactly. If Marrone hopes to run his k-gun successfully he needs two more proficient WR's, a better TE, help on the O line in G & RT plus a decent QB to groom

Almost the entire draft could all be used on offense in any order

WR2x

TE

G

RT

QB

Exactly. If Marrone hopes to run his k-gun successfully he needs two more proficient WR's, a better TE, help on the O line in G & RT plus a decent QB to groom

WR2x

TE

G

RT

QB

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that we need to draft offense heavily this time around. That said, the only offensive position that I would even touch at #8 would be OT (i.e., Lane Johnson). I would be fine going with best pass rusher available with #8. I hope they go WR/QB in rounds 2-3, a TE in round 4, and then fill in some other gaps in rounds 5 and 6 (i.e., LB, DB, OG).

IMO....there isn't a QB or WR deservant of the #8 overall pick. A trade back to the middle of round one, picking up some additional draft picks, would be best case scenario.

In looking at the list of players the bills have brought in (updated thru the 11th w/27 players) and Buddy's tendency to meet with the players they like in the first round, I will say we are not taking DL or OL in the first. Not that it's a lock or anything but...

http://blogs.buffalo...-list-up-to-11/

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

WR2x

TE

G

RT

QB

Reaching for players at high draft spots doesn't improve their talent level. It makes the team mediocre- See Buffalo Bills, last decade and a half......

Reaching for players at high draft spots doesn't improve their talent level. It makes the team mediocre- See Buffalo Bills, last decade and a half......

Agreed, but it seems we are arguing two different points here. You are contending that Buffalo should draft defense heavily because "the strength of this draft is defense." I think that statement has some truth to it, but it also is an overgeneralization. It is pretty clear that the top-tier prospects in this draft are largely OL and DL. Also, there are a few OLB/DE tweeners that should go in the top 10-15 picks (Jordan, Ansah, Jones). That said, I view the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft to be deep with QB and WR talent...two areas of desparate need for Buffalo.

As I have stated before, I could see Buffalo drafting an offensive tackle with the #8 pick. On the other hand, I could see them drafting one of the DE/OLB or a defensive back like Milliner (if he falls) or Kenny Vaccaro. Essentially, best player available at #8. It would be dangerous, IMO, for them not to address the WR and QB positions somewhere in rounds 2-4. There are quite a few starting caliber WR's that will likely be available when we pick at #41 (i.e., Hopkins, Hunter, Woods, Williams) and I wouldn't mind at all to wait until round 3 or 4 to address QB.

Agreed, but it seems we are arguing two different points here. You are contending that Buffalo should draft defense heavily because "the strength of this draft is defense." I think that statement has some truth to it, but it also is an overgeneralization. It is pretty clear that the top-tier prospects in this draft are largely OL and DL. Also, there are a few OLB/DE tweeners that should go in the top 10-15 picks (Jordan, Ansah, Jones). That said, I view the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft to be deep with QB and WR talent...two areas of desparate need for Buffalo.

As I have stated before, I could see Buffalo drafting an offensive tackle with the #8 pick. On the other hand, I could see them drafting one of the DE/OLB or a defensive back like Milliner (if he falls) or Kenny Vaccaro. Essentially, best player available at #8. It would be dangerous, IMO, for them not to address the WR and QB positions somewhere in rounds 2-4. There are quite a few starting caliber WR's that will likely be available when we pick at #41 (i.e., Hopkins, Hunter, Woods, Williams) and I wouldn't mind at all to wait until round 3 or 4 to address QB.

I am with you. BPA, the Bills have a bunch of holes so serendipitously filling a need at the same time shouldn't be a problem. I think they will draft a QB in RD 1 or 2 though. New regime won't make the same mistake as the last. If you want to be employed 3 years later you better have a QB that is a top 15 starter, at least.

I agree- offensive line is pretty deep, although I think focussing on the defense is a quicker route to becoming a contender.

Fair enough. I'm curious though. Would you like to see Buffalo draft any offensive players? If so, which position(s) and in what round range?

That's tough to say- I really think defense is likely the value pick in the first two rounds. After that, it is tough to say who will be available. It would be nice to get an OL, TE, WR. Maybe the QB from Central Michigan, late in the draft.

I am starting to become very anti-QB. I am tired of seeing us hit and miss on QB's at every turn. Of course, if we do not get up to bat we will never hit a homerun... I just have too many doubts and have read too many skeptics on this years class to want to jump up and hit anywhere in the top 4 or 5 of that lineup. There will be good at bats to be had later.

We've Drafted one QB since Trent Edwards (a 3rd Round Pick), and that was in the 7th Round...Only one 7th Round QB in the past 5 Drafts!!!...How is that hitting and missing at every turn? B-)

We have so many needs right now - QB, WR, TE, OG, OLB, ILB, CB, S, P and K.

We are in worse shape now than when Buddy Nix started. Buddy is on his second coach and 3rd DC.

I sure hope he "retires" after the draft and turns this mess over to Whaley.

There are quite a few starting caliber WR's that will likely be available when we pick at #41 (i.e., Hopkins, Hunter, Woods, Williams) and I wouldn't mind at all to wait until round 3 or 4 to address QB.

I agree with this, I would be happy to see us fill our WR options in the 2nd and our QB options in the 3rd or 4th. I don't think the talent level in WR is that much greater than the WRs that will be selected before those WRs. And few QBs seem worth the gamble before a 3rd. Next year is the year to gamble on a QB early.

The draft that would make me happy would be:

1. Barkley

2. Robert Woods

I don't want to trade down. I want quality over quantity.

I wouldn't take Barkley until the fourth round. I see him as the same as what has typically come out of USC. Probably very similar to Sanchez.

The draft that would make me happy would be:

1. Barkley

2. Robert Woods

I don't want to trade down. I want quality over quantity.

I'm thinking both of those guys may be available in the 2nd-3rd round. Really, Barkley at #8? I don't see it, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.