[closed]Safety - not seeing it early

I have seen Safety listed as a "need" for the Bills in this draft, but I don't see it as a position that they will address early - unless there is a truly great prospect available.

With Byrd at one Safety spot and Searcy in line to compete with (likely) Aaron Williams for the other spot, I think that the top 3 safety spots are in reasonable hands. I could imagine them selecting another safety in rounds 4-7 for depth.

The only safety that I see in this draft that could alter that approach (IMHO) would be Kenny Vaccaro and I think it would be a stretch to take him at the 8th pick with much greater needs elsewhere. I don't see another safety that would be a great enough value to trump needs at other positions in rounds 1-3.

Opinions/opposing views welcomed.

Why are people penciling Williams as a safety when there is absolutely nothing suggesting that is where he will play next season?

Also Byrd is a free agent after next season. So until he signs a long term deal, we have to look for potential replacements.

Edited by Bangarang

Why do you think it's likely Aaron Williams will be competing with Searcy for the SS spot when we haven't heard a thing about him switching from the Bills? And wouldn't he be more of a FS then a SS if he did switch?

This team is infatuated with defensive backs and loves taking them early so I wouldnt be surprised to see them do it again

Edited by Max997

Why are people penciling Williams as a safety when there is absolutely nothing suggesting that is where he will play next season?

Also Byrd is a free agent after next season. So until he signs a long term deal, we have to look for potential replacements.

sums it up. It is easy to jump to the conclusion we will resign Byrd and Williams could be shifted to a different position.

Not to mention as a success at safety. Remember last offseason when the board thought he'd be half of a top cb tandem? Now he's a successful starting strong safety

If they don't plan to move Aaron Williams to safety (as I expect they will), then I agree that safety becomes a higher priority in the draft - but still not before the 3rd in my opinion.

I do believe that Williams will be playing safety or splitting time between CB and Safety. He was considered a good candidate to move to Safety when he was in the draft 3 years ago.

I suspect they would draft another CB before another Safety and move Williams, but I don't have any inside info to substantiate my thoughts.

If they don't plan to move Aaron Williams to safety (as I expect they will), then I agree that safety becomes a higher priority in the draft - but still not before the 3rd in my opinion.

I do believe that Williams will be playing safety or splitting time between CB and Safety. He was considered a good candidate to move to Safety when he was in the draft 3 years ago.

I suspect they would draft another CB before another Safety and move Williams, but I don't have any inside info to substantiate my thoughts.

He was also considered a good cb prospect. Does him swapping to safety with not even OTAs at the position really mean we shouldn't address safety if someone's available?

Depends on how you see the Bills playing their defense. The teams website has a 43 defense with Bryan Scott listed as starting OLB, Searcy and Byrd starting at S, and AWilliams 2nd at CB. Lawson is also 3rd on the depth chart at OLB.

I am a big beleiver that the best coaches but the best players on the field regardless of their position. I have beat that to death in the last year and some... we have a lot of defensive talent and it is just getting old.

Agreed. There's a guy listed as a CB that will transition to Saftey @ the NFL level, IMHO...namingly Sanders Commings, CB, out of GA. He's graded out to be a 5th rd selection @ CB, but it seems fairly obvious to me that he'll be a SS in the NFL, and a good one at that. He caught my eye in the '11 season, i forget who they were playing, but I was like "who the hell is that LB playing DB?" He's huge (in terms of DB's) @ 6' 2" 216 (jacked). He's got the necessary speed (4.41) and range (AZ Diamondbacks 2008 draft pick as an outfielder) long arms and good hands are a bonus, and he lowers the boom. RED FLAG - Missed first 2 games of Sr. Yr due to a suspension for a domestic violence arrest. Also, he's got issue with getting beat by double moves, losing the cushion, and flipping his hips...all lends to the fact that he won't be a CB up here with the big boys.

I realize it's only one guy, but there's a sufficient amount of depth @ SS this year to not waste a day 1-2 pick, though I am one of the guys who thinks SS is a need this year.