[closed]QBs rising and falling

Mango

You do understand that the rankings of people in the media are not the same as the rankings of actual NFL scouts and GMs right?

Maybe teams had Nassib and Manuel rated high the entire time but people you watch on TV and read online are just now getting with the program?

This ^^^

How much money? :devil:

You are so far wrong I don't know where to start.

I'm not too lazy to look things up.....try these threads for some information....

http://forums.twobil...b/#entry2712778

http://forums.twobil...t/#entry2743099

Yep...Lazy has it's consequences... ;)

How does a QB prospect rise or fall at this stage? He played his games, he did his combine or pro day. They only thing that changes is buzz and buzz is often manufactured. See: Blaine Gabbert.

PTR

I think that the only thing that changes is the media catching on to what the NFL really thinks of these players. The media then adjusts their ratings and it looks like the player's stock is "rising" or "falling".

You do understand that the rankings of people in the media are not the same as the rankings of actual NFL scouts and GMs right?

Maybe teams had Nassib and Manuel rated high the entire time but people you watch on TV and read online are just now getting with the program?

+1

Rankings go up and down a lot among the sports media folks as they talk to more scouts and watch more game tape.

Not much to offer at qb in this year's draft. There are those on this board who would like us to take a 2d or third round choice at number 8 and "wish" him into a franchise qb. I don't see that happening. I think we might go qb at round 2 or even round 3 and go with the guy we just traded for for at least this year.

The Guy we just traded for??? Or do you mean the FA we just signed?

How does a QB prospect rise or fall at this stage? He played his games, he did his combine or pro day. They only thing that changes is buzz and buzz is often manufactured. See: Blaine Gabbert.

PTR

The media is frequently being fed disinformation by the various NFL teams to mask their true feeling about players they may be interested in taking...

Three things that I think raise or lower value from end of season...

1) Intel from multiple sources regarding character

2) Team interviews

3) Wonderlic & New personality test from combine.

On #3, not sure about the Wonderlic score, but that new test administered at the combine isn't supposed to be available to teams until a week or so before the draft. Those results just might alter several teams slotting on players.... enough so that it may leave many scratching their heads.

Of the last 15 QBs to win a superbowl, 8 were 1st Rounders. 7 were not (although two were very high second rounders Brees/Favre)

If you just look at the last 15 Superbowls, 9 were won by QBs drafted in Rd1

Tom Brady really screws up the numbers. Unless you find the next Tom Brady, your chances of winning a superbowl are far greater with a 1st rd QB

Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman (Larry Brown), Rd1

Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre (Desmond Howard), Rd 2

Super Bowl 32 John Elway (Terrell Davis), Rd1

Super Bowl 33. John Elway (MVP), Rd1

Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner (MVP), UDFA

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), Rd1

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), Rd 6

Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), Rd9

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 Rd6

Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), RD6

Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), Rd1

Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), Rd1

Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), Rd1

Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger Rd1

Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), Rd 2

Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), Rd1

Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), Rd1

Super Bowl 47: Joe Flaco Rd1

Glad I did not bet any money. I didnt think Rogers, Flacco, Dilfer and Big Ben were first rounders. My draft history needs some work. Thanks for the posting/lesson!

This thread is a Victory for the talking heads that make these wishy-washy rankings public. Gets and keeps folks talking about it during a yawn-fest off-season. None of them know any more than us and the OP is spot on with this thread.

I'm beyond the point of caring who they draft at QB.

Hell, I'll be happy if Kevin Kolb is the starter. I'll be happy if Orville Reddenbacher is the starter. All I hope for is a noticeable improvement of the 2013 Buffalo Bills and I'm damn sure that's what I'm gonna see in 6 months.

I apologize for being optimistic. And.....No, I dont anticipate playoffs this year.

I do however anticipate a noticeable change in blue-print...and an improvement in overall performance...and a GREAT defense. It's gonna get us started in a playoff run that starts in 2014 and we go deep into the playoffs in 2015.

This team is gonna be the juggernaut of the NFL. Out of no where. They'll surprise us all and silence the critics.

You watch !

Go Buffalo !

Edited by jaybee

Your skill could be valuable. Who do you think is not worth a first round pick this year? :)

haha.. Geno Smith or Matt Barkley. They are the only picks out of the top 4 qbs (Geno, Manuel, Barkley,Nassib) that would make me unhappy.

The whole QB situation with the Bills is a bit sloppy, and every year guys fly way up big boards because of all the down time from filming to the draft.

If I am the Bills I would be weary of any QB that makes significant leaps from the end of the college season to the draft. I understand and agree with the over valued position of QB by maybe a round, but beware of the Gabbert effect. It is just downtime, which leads to excuse making. If the draft happened 2 weeks after the Super Bowl we would see a much different draft.

-Manuel was a 3rd round grade until the Senior Bowl. One game is not worth 2 rounds.

-Nassib was a 3rd or a 4th round grade at seasons end. What happened between his last game and today that moves him into the bottom of the 1st or the top of the 2nd. Nothing!

I like Manuel quite a bit, but his rise up the draft boards scares the ba-jesus out of me. Nassib is non-nonsensical. I think when it comes to any position stick to the film and season. How guys play not their measurements per say

Here's where I have the QB's now:

1 7 Geno Smith

1 30 Matt Barkley

2 37 E.J. Manuel

2 42 Tyler Wilson

2 54 Tyler Bray

2 62 Ryan Nassib

3 69 Mike Glennon

4 105 Landry Jones

4 119 Matt Scott

5 136 Zac Dysert

7 250 Optimus Klein

Brad Sorensen and Sean Renfree might be drafted on Day 3 or might go UDFA.

----->Sorensen (Southern Utah 6'4" 235) has the build and 4:1 TD:INT ratio. He was the Utah transfer.

----->Renfree (Duke 6'4" 225) is my favorite for unsung QB. He throws a nice ball, and is 2nd in Completion percentage to EJ Manuel in the ACC. quick study, great ?s in prep, calm, cool, quick release.

Edited by Astrobot

This is called the Kiper effect. How players rise and fall without playing games in months is hilarious. Kiper basically got people interested in the draft and it has gone completely overboard. If anything, we have too much information. There are good posters here who could probably do as well as the draft "experts" because we get everything they do. It's a guessing game in many ways.

Great point!

Im convinced most of our board could draft better for the Bills than these "experts".

Just curious. If we come to the 2nd round, Nassib is still available, and the Bills don't select him (assuming the Bills have not picked up another QB in the 1st round, which would negate the need for him), does Nassib slip further than anticipated? The reason why I'm thinking this is that Marrone and Hackett know more about Nassib than anybody else, more than any NFL staff would know about any QB in the entire draft, and if the rest of the teams see that we won't take him, the perception might be there must be something wrong with him, that those who know him best do not think he is NFL caliber.

Rising and falling QB's generate headlines. That's why they rise and fall. End of story. Hasn't this been mentioned enough?

Or you mean like building up a decent linebacker to the point people were calling him the number one pick despite his shortcomings and non-premium position, then acting SHOCKED when he ran a slightly below average 40 and declaring he's plummeting because of it.....

A lot of times they loooove to create stories during the season and then have to bring guys back to reality by April.

Qbs moving means magazines moving and mouse clicks. Doesn't mean gms are moving them.