Rutgers Fires BB Coach

Nanker

Calling them names and throwing balls! At a bunch of men over the age of 18 who are getting a free ride to school??!!?? Only a few generations ago, younger men than these were put on unpressured bombers and sent to fight a war, getting shot out of the sky over Bremen. But now a few names and a ball thrown at them is nationwide scandal? Oh, the horror!!!! God, we are getting soft. Grow a sack, f--ts.

Just last week I thought I was reading about the British campaign in Burma, but I got halfway through the book before I realized it was actually about Jerry Tarkanian and UNLV in the early '90s.

NCAA basketball and World War 2 are just so damned similar.

We had gym coaches who made all the guys swim naked. How screw up is that

thats... ummm.... thats probably for another thread. and if they are still around you might want to alert some sort of authority about it.

just saying.

That's how it was in my high school. Farging wierd.

And regarding Rice and the AD, the guy who gave ESPN the tape had his lawyers contact Rutgers and he's trying to sue them for illegally terminating him. Sounds like he's getting revenge.

The swimming naked thing is so weird to look back on, but I remember that's what it was for day camp.

They claimed it was some sort of health code! What in the !@#$?!?

We didn't have a gym in school or I'm sure it would have been the same rules.

If you can dodge a wrench...you can dodge a ball.

Eddie stohr and bud rider@iroquois. They must got their jollys off. They also hit us with kick boards.

I had Rider also...had to jog in line and sing his damn songs.

Plus - that middle school pool was so cold...talk about "shrinkage"...yowza

Just last week I thought I was reading about the British campaign in Burma, but I got halfway through the book before I realized it was actually about Jerry Tarkanian and UNLV in the early '90s.

NCAA basketball and World War 2 are just so damned similar.

You missed the follow up I wrote, YOU IDIOT.....

Dammit, none of you bit on the joke.

Edited by RkFast

That's how it was in my high school. Farging wierd.

And regarding Rice and the AD, the guy who gave ESPN the tape had his lawyers contact Rutgers and he's trying to sue them for illegally terminating him. Sounds like he's getting revenge.

Me three...they didn't call him "Fast Eddie" by any chance, did they?

and you are ok with him pushing these players? and not just a shove...

Like many here, I played all sports as a kid (no organized hockey though) all through the 70's...coaches could be pretty harsh verbally, and occaisionally, I do remember a little pushing and shoving going on...but that normally only happened when two kids got into it, and a coach tried to break it up...

I also remember a basketball coach (much bigger than any of us) one time stepping into the middle of a play during a scrimmage, grabbig the ball, and whipping it against the wall, and, of course, it bounced back and hit a kid in the head...nobody was hurt...coach went on a tirade against all of us...not a lot of swearing, but a lot of anger. I remember a football coach, on a few occaisions, "horse collaring" a kid as he ran on, or off the field...maybe grab a face-mask now and again, to get your attention, and let you know who is in charge.

But, I certainly don't remember anything close to what they showed on those Rutgers video tapes. The fact that the little dip-**** assistant coach was doing the same exact thing, to me, makes it even that much worse. What a !@#$ing moron. I keep in mind, the fact that the videos we see on ESPN are edited, so it looks like this kind of behavior was going on from start to finish of practice, and I am sure it wasn't...but it should never get to the point, at any level really,

It was disgusting. Honestly, even back in the good old days when "everything was better, and everyone was tougher" I am pretty sure I would have fought back against any coach who shoved me, or whipped a ball at my head....and whats' with the kicking the kids (actually not really kids I guess) in the shins, shoving them from behind? In a few instances, you can see where one of these young guys wants to reataliate, but his teammates kind of hold him back.

You're right Buftex. In a situation like that the coach has ALL the power. The college kids are on scholarships - and even if they're not, it's their collegiate life and part of their persona. The coach could kick them off the team - at the least, and yank their scholarship, or have them expelled from the school depending on what the kid did w/w/t "insubordination," or "conduct detrimental to the team" or whatever else he might dream up in a fit of pique and spite.

This whole thing smells of a shake down though - albeit that's been diminished by the boorish coach's behavior. I haven't plugged into the news of the day, but I just got back from the barbershop and heard the AD got fired today as well. Haven't confirmed that, but from what I heard on WFAN yesterday, I think he should go, and probably the University president too. This kind of expression of anger cannot be tolerated in scholastic sports. It wouldn't happen in the Pros, because a coach that did that would get jacked up pretty damn quick, and it'd be the coach that was fired - not the players.