Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right, because I good QB has been so easy for us to find...

have u watched the tapes?? the guy is OK. Thats it. Just because we are crappy at finding QBs doesnt mean we throw anything upo against the wall.Of course the bills may just do that--which would be equal in effectiveness to what they have done the past 15 yrs

have u watched the tapes?? the guy is OK. Thats it. Just because we are crappy at finding QBs doesnt mean we throw anything upo against the wall.Of course the bills may just do that--which would be equal in effectiveness to what they have done the past 15 yrs

What we have done over the last decade + is not find a good QB. Opinions will always differ on whos good and whos not.

Just so everyone understands the situation here, its not just about drafting a QB. Its about keeping HC, OC, and QB together on a regime change. Its about not having to wait a seaon or two before the Bills start winning football games.

Ryan Nassib Scouting report

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2013/01/ryan-nassib-nfl-draft-scouting-report/#more-4407

Both Marrone and Hackett have expressed mad love for Nassib, and both have made comments to the effect he "will play" in the NFL. Nothing out of the ordinary from two guys who coached the kid for four years, though. Marrone specifically addressed the Nassib question in the context of bringing in Hackett -- said it has nothing to do with who the Bills will draft.

This was before they were members of the Bills. Since then they have not said anything and now have a plethra of choices at QB. We are the ones connecting dots but don't really know.

Following along with that idea since we stole the Jets DC Pettine, might the Jets who need a QB as bad as we do try to "leapfrog" us and snatch Nassib before we can at #8

?

We didnt steal him he chose to leave. If they jump us to spite us it will do them little one of the benefits is the quick start because of his know of the offence.As the jets will have a different offence for the 3rd straight season they should get a QB they have rated high not plays more games.

If Coach Marrone picks his QBs like he does his OCs, sounds like done deal.

There is the unlikely chance he may not be there at 8th what then?

I'd like to take a second look at Vince Young... I think if Marrone had a brain in his head, he'd look up both VY, and Dave Garrard.

We're not there yet, but making a youngster like Nassib the undisputed starter could be career suicide for a first time coach.

if Marrone is going to be stupid enough to take Nassib with a high pick, he'd better hedge his bet with a veteran.

Edited by #34fan

I did watch some YouTube vids on Nassib. He can make all the throws. Has run a pro style offense under Hackett. I like the style of offense they ran. I think it would work well in the pros.

Here's my thought. If the Bills want to get him and keep Hackett and Nassib together do it in round one. If Hackett has worked with Nassib for 3 yrs he knows everything about the guy.

We have talent on offense. CJ and Fred will take alot of pressure off the kid. It would be a nice situation for him to come into. Plus when healthy our O-line is pretty good.

If they want him that bad pull the trigger in Round one. Miami did the same thing last year and they ended up being better than us . I think Nassib will come in and play the same if not better in his first year under his HC and OC.

Do it Russ make it happen and don't fart around. Get your QB and fix the D and we can turn 6-10 into 10-6 real quick.

All we need is a QB .

I see a lot of speculation around here and in the media that the Bills will select Nassib because he's familiar with Marrone's system and Marrone is familiar with him. Is that really the metrics a team should use to pick a franchise QB that they hope to have lead the team for 10+ years?

Seriously, given the number of QBs available in this purported mediocre draft class, what are the odds that Nassib is the best option for this team moving forward? With 5 to 10 QBs floating around of his caliber in this draft, random odds say there is only a 10-20% chance he's the best selection. My guess is that with this draft class, only 1 or 2 QBs will actually turn out to be "franchise" QBs.

Familiarity with the coaches and system may help a rookie or even a second year guy but over time, this is meaningless. We want the guy with the highest ceiling in the league and that probably (in the odds sense) isn't Nassib.

I watched 4 of his games on youtube (USC, Louisville, Rutgers, Missouri).

Kid has an arm, but plays too "hyper" sometimes in the pocket. I'd love to see him available in the 2nd round. But who knows with how QB's get pushed up the draft board.

All my thoughts are here.

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=247

Comments/thoughts welcomed

-Jon

Very fair assesment. Just remember, most of these guys will have warts, (unless it is Luck or Griffin), and sometimes it might be worth the reach.

Here are my thoughts, as I have watched quite a bit of him both this season and last season.

- Very smart with the football - rarely will you see him make one of those "What the hell was he thinking" throws ala Fitzpatrick.

- Tough as nails

- Can make all of the throws but agree that his touch could be better

However, I think we should seriously consider him at 8, and here is why. He can step in and play right away, as he has played in this offense for four years. There is enough talent on defense to be competitive right away, and for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years, if you have a chance to plug a guy in right away and he is an immediate upgrade over the garbage QBs that we have (or have had over the last several years) you take it. There is no guarantee that he will be there in the second round and there is not another QB, other than Tyler Wilson, that I think can start right away.

P.S. If one more person suggests Tyler Bray I will lose it. He will be a HUGE bust!

Good write-up. What are your thoughts on his decision-making and ability to read defenses?

I thought for the most part he read defenses pretty well, there was only 1 throw I saw him just totally throw it to a defender on a misread (INT vs Rutgers). His biggest problem in my eyes is his calmness in the pocket, especially against USC he was just so twitchy in the pocket and he wasn't throwing his best ball. Against Louisville he was calm in the pocket and made all the correct throws and reads.

How about accuracy? Did he hit guys in stride?

SU offense was a lot of hooks at stops, not many crosses. But when he would throw those seam passes, deep ins and skinny posts, they were things of beauty. He would hit those seam passes like they were nothing, really impressive. So I do think he is accurate, but not pin-point if you know what I mean... But his accuracy on the intermediate routes was great.

In my opinion, this has trade up into the end of the 1st round written all over it for the Bills, unless Marrone & co don't want him

Whether we get him or not, I don't care where. If our coach passes or takes him, he would know better than anyone else what he's capable of and I'll have faith in that decision.

If we take him at 8 and he pans out, no one will remember or care where we took him. If he's a bust, then what else is new?

I watched 4 of his games on youtube (USC, Louisville, Rutgers, Missouri).

Kid has an arm, but plays too "hyper" sometimes in the pocket. I'd love to see him available in the 2nd round. But who knows with how QB's get pushed up the draft board.

All my thoughts are here.

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=247

Comments/thoughts welcomed

-Jon

I agree with 99% of your write up, and it's very well done! I do not think he's a poor man's Rivers, though. I have watched a lot of games and film on Tyler Wilson, and he's who I would compare to Rivers. But nonetheless, I agree that his intermediate stuff in great and his touch passes got better as the season progressed. I also agree that he got jittery at some points in the pocket, but their line was atrocious and he still seemed to make good throws, even if he was under pressure. I would have no problem whatsoever if Buffalo takes him with the eighth pick, because if this is the QB they want, then they need to go get him and not mess around!

Whether we get him or not, I don't care where. If our coach passes or takes him, he would know better than anyone else what he's capable of and I'll have faith in that decision.

If we take him at 8 and he pans out, no one will remember or care where we took him. If he's a bust, then what else is new?

Agreed... if the guy is a stud, then it doesn't matter where you take him as long as he is yours. But the draft is a gamble and you want to maximize your utility.

That's my concern as well. Fitz has many of the makings of a good QB but his accuracy is just awful -- even when not under pressure. Haven't seen enough of Nassib to know.

He's not a west-coast QB... he is a down the field thrower and good at it. He can put it into small windows, but don't expect Aaron Rodgers type accuracy. Would you be happy if he turned out to be Phil Rivers?