Is Kolb Nix's Bridge to the 2014 QB Draft Class?

Wing Man

With Nix's apparent enthusiasm (not) about the 2013 Draft QB class, it's worth speculating as to whether we'll all be throwing any unbolted object at our TVs watching this year's NFL draft. Between our endless needs list and Nix's obvious allergy to drafting QBs, it's not inconceivable that the Bills will pass on the position for an inexplicable fourth year. If Ryan Nassib, who would be an obvious Marrone play, slips through our fingers, the reat of the field pales in comparison to the top 6-8 QBs in 2014. If Nix truly decides to fill holes everywhere else first and give them a year's experience, it could be a long three days for Bills fans. Or will it? Any method to this madness?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are assuming that the Bills (and other NFL teams) think any of these QBs is better than Alex Smith, Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn etc. I think teams are showing their view with the acquisitions of these veteran QBs.

There are QBs who have at least the physical skills to be better than that group, but it seems NFL teams in need of QBs don't think that the probability of success for any of the rookie prospects is very high.

The problem is any year, and which is amplified in this year with no clear cut top QBs, is no team knows what the other teams are either thinking, or are going to do. It's all guesswork no matter how good you are. In generic terms, each team is going to have a couple guys they like a lot, a couple guys they like potentially but are not sold on, and a couple guys they just don't see and won't draft. But each team is going to have a different hierarchy of those players.

Having Kolb as a fallback allows the Bills to make different decisions based on who is now available when their turn is up. It also allows them to take a flyer on a guy, say Matt Scott, who has talent but is a bigger risk, and then if he doesn't show much have Kolb, Scott and a #1 QB next year in 2014. That may not be a bad way to go.

I said before the Kolb signing I really wouldn't mind a high pick on QB this year, and then if a franchise guy is available next year take him, too. You need two QBs (and Kolb is signed for two years, which could be one).

I don't at all think that Kolb was signed specifically as a bridge to 2014. It just leaves more options should both of the top couple QBs the Bills do like are gone, if if one of them is there but another guy at another need position is also there that they LOVE, they could afford to take him.

Kolb is definetely a bridge to the 2014 Draft. The class in general stinks and 2014 is pretty loaded with good prospects even if Manziel doesn't come out. Kolb will get his one year to prove himself and so will a 3rd or 4th round guy. If they struggle we'll take one in the first round next year no doubt

No it's not a bridge. simply put. But it offers some relief of pressure to nail the Qb we choose in the draft.

ps Gonzo i dont think we wont try to get a franchise QB in 14 though if we see one.

Edited by 3rdand12

I think, indirectly, Kolb may be a bridge to the 2014 draft class. What I see unfolding is Kolb penciled in as opening day starter pending a 3-way QB battle between him, TJax and a second round rookie to be named. If the rookie surprises, then he starts the season. If not, unless Kolb or TJax lights it up, I expect that the goal will be to give the rookie a chance, after some sideline learning, to unseat the starter. If that time never comes because the rookie just isn't showing it, then I see the Bills going QB early in 2014, unless the rookie happened to be the #8 pick this year. If they go QB at #8 this year, they'd have to swallow pretty hard before committing to go QB first round again next year, IMO.

If Andy Reid did not keep Kolb in Phil or take him in KC that's not a good sign. Then his injury history. I think it puts us in salary cap trouble in 2014 with Fitz still a charge. We need to re-sign our good players this year or they could walk like Levitre.

If Levitre would not sign an extension last year we could have traded him for a good draft pick at least.

Fitz is worth $3.25 million a year, does'nt get hurt. Kolb might be worth just a little more, not double IMO

(independent is cheap :doh: )

Edited by independent

nah i dont think the bills are looking past this season to try to get their rookie qb. so many things can happen in one year, it would be pretty stupid for a team as qb desperate as the bills to put anything on hold like that

i really dont see kolb changing anything with regards to the plan for this year. they will still draft smith or barkley at eight if they can, and take the best available guy in the second if they cant. then they have a full season to see if anybody steps up to become the reliable starter, and if not they can take another qb next draft

nah i dont think the bills are looking past this season to try to get their rookie qb. so many things can happen in one year, it would be pretty stupid for a team as qb desperate as the bills to put anything on hold like that

i really dont see kolb changing anything with regards to the plan for this year. they will still draft smith or barkley at eight if they can, and take the best available guy in the second if they cant. then they have a full season to see if anybody steps up to become the reliable starter, and if not they can take another qb next draft

While that is my predominate line of thinking as well, without the Kolb signing, I highly doubt they would NOT take a QB in the first or second. We simply don't know who they like, who they don't, how much they like these guys, and who is going to be available when. Now it gives them the option of taking a guy like Dysert or Scott later on, where without Kolb, I doubt they would ever go into this season with a guy like that and TJax.

If Andy Reid did not keep Kolb in Phil or take him in KC that's not a good sign. Then his injury history. I think it puts us in salary cap trouble in 2014 with Fitz still a charge. We need to re-sign our good players this year or they could walk like Levitre.

If Levitre would not sign an extension last year we could have traded him for a good draft pick at least.

Fitz is worth $3.25 million a year, does'nt get hurt. Kolb might be worth just a little more, not double IMO

(independent is cheap :doh: )

I doubt that his base contract is for much more than $3Million per year. TJax could still win the starting position leaving Kolb to twist in the wind as a backup or even a third stringer behind a draft pick. Even that seems like a lot for an injury prone hurler. Under the circumstances, I could see Kelly the Dog's scenario where we take a 4th rounder and hold out for '14. At least TJax will get a chance to show his skills under a system that hopefully outruns Gailey's instead of watching from home. That was a joke, but of course Fitz was the second coming of Jim Kelly. *cough* *gak* :wallbash:

I can't think of a single instance when an NFL team picks QB's high in the draft in 2 straight seasons. Maybe it's common I just don't know? So theoretically, they draft a rookie this year high, sit him(or start him).Then Decide he blows (after 1 year)and do it over in 14? I don't get it. I would think it would be a cause for heads to roll if a legit NFL team works that way. Edited by Best Player Available

I hope the Bills picked up Kolb in an attempt to avoid having to reach for a QB at number 8 if the top two QBs are off the board. If Geno and Barkley ( or whoever they have at number two) are gone by the time they pick then they can take the best WR, OL, or LB that suits them. They could even try to trade down in first round, hope to grab a QB from their next tier of QBs, and then pick up some extra picks.

So I hope Kolb is a bridge to the 2013 draft.

I can't think of a single instance when an NFL team picks QB's high in the draft in 2 straight seasons. Maybe it's common I just don't know? So theoretically, they draft a rookie this year high, sit him(or start him).Then Decide he blows (after 1 year)and do it over in 14? I don't get it. I would think it would be a cause for heads to roll if a legit NFL team works that way.

That's because most teams have at least one, and most all years there are some guys to draft as well as some guys to get in FA. This is a total fluke year for the Bills where they have none, no good FA and no good draft prospects (or clear blue-chips). The Bills had basically none.

Besides, The Skins just picked two in the same year.