Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite and not easily dismiss this. If my kid was gay I'd still love them because well they're my child.....However no parent in their right mind would not be worried about their safety regardless of their feelings about homosexuality. The stigma and ever real medical dangers that surround it. As a parent you want the absolute best for your child, and above all you want your child to love and be loved, but one must also realize the social fight that will go along with acceptance from others. However above all if you can't put aside your social view of homosexuality for the benefit of your child you pretty much suck as a parent. You don't have to agree with the lifestyle, but your blood will always be your blood

Excellent response Stealth. No spin. Not like the rest of these guys who've responded but totally ignored my question above. I grew up in a different era than most here apparently. I am probably the oldest guy on the forum. IMO, schools and the media have brain-washed our youngins rather effectively. This thread is certainly a monument of that. My generation see's it differently. I wont say we are right...and you are wrong. There is no right and wrong here I suppose. BUT...if I had a gay child (and I have 3 hetero's) I definitely would be way too embarrassed to let anyone know. But thats just me. I find the whole deal absolutely disgusting, and even worse...the NFL no-name that is using his status to promote / defend /whatever his sick lifestyle. Well if that isn't crossing the line then there is no such thing as crossing the line.

My last post in this thread, so go back to your X box, or whatever they are. I wont respond. I'm done on this topic which the moderators get an "F" for putting it on the Stadium wall. Its off the charts off the wall material.

Excellent response Stealth. No spin. Not like the rest of these guys who've responded but totally ignored my question above. I grew up in a different era than most here apparently. I am probably the oldest guy on the forum. IMO, schools and the media have brain-washed our youngins rather effectively. This thread is certainly a monument of that. My generation see's it differently. I wont say we are right...and you are wrong. There is no right and wrong here I suppose. BUT...if I had a gay child (and I have 3 hetero's) I definitely would be way too embarrassed to let anyone know. But thats just me. I find the whole deal absolutely disgusting, and even worse...the NFL no-name that is using his status to promote / defend /whatever his sick lifestyle. Well if that isn't crossing the line then there is no such thing as crossing the line.

My last post in this thread, so go back to your X box, or whatever they are. I wont respond. I'm done on this topic which the moderators get an "F" for putting it on the Stadium wall. Its off the charts off the wall material.

Ah, yes - not a matter of you knowing better, just that everyone disagreeing is brainwashed. Thanks for yet another constructive contribution.

In what way did I ignore your question? Good of you to continue along the same line as your initial post, though.

I am very glad that you don't have a gay kid. There are too many gay children growing up without a supportive family already.

Why on earth should anyone believe that that number is true?

Because Rob's House heard it on the radio, and everyone knows that the radio is a much more reliable source than scientific journals.

Funny how this so offends you two. I even qualified it by stating that it was unconfirmed and just something I heard, yet you decide to give a snide response anyway. I'll remember not to waste my time conversing with you.

BTW, can you provide a link to these exclusive scientific journals you've cited, Dr. Miller? Thanks in advance dude.

My Father is probably closer to your age than mine and I guarantee if I was gay he would have been marching in parades alongside me. Don't hide behind your generational gap to be a bigot just be open about it.

Funny how this so offends you two. I even qualified it by stating that it was unconfirmed and just something I heard, yet you decide to give a snide response anyway. I'll remember not to waste my time conversing with you.

Something you heard from some guy on the radio doesn't carry any more weight than something I overheard some guy say in a bar. I wouldn't cite statistics by either one. If you consider that snide, so be it, you can easily put me on ignore if you want.

Edit to add: You didn't provide any info that could help identify a source, so while you took my question as snarky, I'm seriously wondering why anyone should believe that number. If we knew who said it or what they were referencing, we could investigate. Knowing the radio/TV show discussions that surround these sorts of topics, my take on any statistics thrown around by commentators is that 73.2% of them are completely made up.

Edited by MRW

Something you heard from some guy on the radio doesn't carry any more weight than something I overheard some guy say in a bar. I wouldn't cite statistics by either one. If you consider that snide, so be it, you can easily put me on ignore if you want.

Sorry for being unclear, that portion of the post was directed at Miller. The fact that it was a psychologist made me assume that he might well have gotten his info from a reliable source. I never claimed it was gospel and made that very clear. Sorry if that's beyond your reading comprehension.

Sorry for being unclear, that portion of the post was directed at Miller. The fact that it was a psychologist made me assume that he might well have gotten his info from a reliable source. I never claimed it was gospel and made that very clear. Sorry if that's beyond your reading comprehension.

You made it clear. Ill say without a real number or source, it kind of muddies the conversation, but I think you were fair in presentation if you were going to put it out there

Edited by NoSaint

Growing up in a different era? Really? That's the defense you're going to use? I suppose you find equal rights for blacks and women disgusting as well, you know, being from a different era and all. Sorry the world is finally reaching a level of tolerance and open-mindness that you yourself are not comfortable with. Maybe we should teach our kids how to bully and beat people for being different instead of "brain-washing" them with all of this tolerance and human rights bull ****. My grandfather would have been ninety if he were still alive. His son was gay and he couldn't have been prouder of him, accepted him more, or loved him more if he tried. Get over blaming your closed mindedness on your era, or at the very least stop thinking that everyone your age views the world through your blinded eyes.

Growing up in a different era? Really? That's the defense you're going to use? I suppose you find equal rights for blacks and women disgusting as well, you know, being from a different era and all. Sorry the world is finally reaching a level of tolerance and open-mindness that you yourself are not comfortable with. Maybe we should teach our kids how to bully and beat people for being different instead of "brain-washing" them with all of this tolerance and human rights bull ****. My grandfather would have been ninety if he were still alive. His son was gay and he couldn't have been prouder of him, accepted him more, or loved him more if he tried. Get over blaming your closed mindedness on your era, or at the very least stop thinking that everyone your age views the world through your blinded eyes.

Thank you for saying this much better than I attempted to.

I comprehended it just fine. If you can't understand why tossing out an essentially unsourced claim that 80% of gay men were abused is children is going to ruffle some feathers, we probably will never see eye to eye. And yes, I get that it's not your claim, but it doesn't really matter. If you're not prepared to back it up, it's just inflammatory.

I comprehended it just fine. If you can't understand why tossing out an essentially unsourced claim that 80% of gay men were abused is children is going to ruffle some feathers, we probably will never see eye to eye. And yes, I get that it's not your claim, but it doesn't really matter. If you're not prepared to back it up, it's just inflammatory.

Why is it inflammatory? Does it somehow denigrate people?

And FWIW, I did a quick yahoo search just out of curiosity and the numbers I found were closer to 40-50%. I'm at work and don't have the time or inclination to search medical journals. Either way, I think it's safe to say the number is disproportionate to the population at large.

Why is it inflammatory? Does it somehow denigrate people?

And FWIW, I did a quick yahoo search just out of curiosity and the numbers I found were closer to 40-50%. I'm at work and don't have the time or inclination to search medical journals. Either way, I think it's safe to say the number is disproportionate to the population at large.

It's a bit inflammatory pushing a conclusion with unsourced, and what you seem to see may have been incorrect, numbers. Not the end of the world, but tough for discussion.

I don't doubt that being molested as a child can effect all kinds of adult behavior. Including how you feel sexually, and how you express those feelings.

While you are likely born to a genetic spot on the spectrum, I'd bet a variety of things can push you up and down the scale. Further there's the issue of what you feel/are vs what you feel comfortable expressing. Just some of my, highly unqualified, opinions piecing together life experiences encountered and some studies seen out there.

Edited by NoSaint

So, the gay parade marches on.

So all you gay lovers, if your child is a homosexual and gets married to his / her lover, you'd be totally comfortable at the wedding reception then?

I know you'll all say no problem...He'd make me proud, move on society, I raised him right etc....BUT you cant tell me you wouldn't be a little uncomfortable. Sure, you will say you are fine with it.....but me thinx not.

jb

You, sir, are a dick.

No offense.