IF IF IF Minnesota Trades Up To 8 for Cordarelle

Astrobot

Greg Cosell ranks Nassib the best QB in the draft. If he can be had at #41 I say take BPA at # 8. If Smith or Milliner is there at 8 there should be willing trade partners to move down and still take a QB in the second round.

I tried to enter a link to the bleacher report, but I got a message saying the moderator doesn't alow links fron that site. I wonder why? Anyway, it was an interesting article on whether Nassib is the best quarterback in the draft.

Edited by first_and_ten

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Cosell ranks Nassib the best QB in the draft. If he can be had at #41 I say take BPA at # 8. If Smith or Milliner is there at 8 there should be willing trade partners to move down and still take a QB in the second round.

I doubt Nassib will be available at 41. If the Bills have their hearts set on him, they'll probably need to either trade down from #8, or trade back into the first round. They may even need to take him 8th overall.

For those of you throwing stones at Drafttek and Astrobot, I submit you're missing the point entirely.

That's always been a fan-run site and each franchise has a volunteer correspondent who gets to submit their fans' consensus on who the team would (or more aptly who the teams' fans would like to pick) at each round in the draft. They run simulations based on the data input at several times during the offseason. I think it's a great site, and Dean does yeoman's work in putting in The Bills' picks. He posts here frequently soliciting input from The Bills fans here at TSW. He deserves credit for his work - not dismissive trash talk.

You might not like the premise that they're going by at any time of the off season, but it's a lot more rigorous and organized treatment of scenarios for The Draft than goes on here. JMHO.

For those of you throwing stones at Drafttek and Astrobot, I submit you're missing the point entirely.

That's always been a fan-run site and each franchise has a volunteer correspondent who gets to submit their fans' consensus on who the team would (or more aptly who the teams' fans would like to pick) at each round in the draft. They run simulations based on the data input at several times during the offseason. I think it's a great site, and Dean does yeoman's work in putting in The Bills' picks. He posts here frequently soliciting input from The Bills fans here at TSW. He deserves credit for his work - not dismissive trash talk.

You might not like the premise that they're going by at any time of the off season, but it's a lot more rigorous and organized treatment of scenarios for The Draft than goes on here. JMHO.

Good post, and I agree with what you've written. Just for clarification: by ":Dean" you mean Astrobot, as opposed to the poster on here who goes by the name of "the Dean"?

The pro: it's good enough for chatter and conversation

The con: it seems to have several serious shortcomings in rankings that go unanswered for. As you see in this thread - the qb question has consistently been ignored. It's far from gospel and is frustrating when someone stomps around declaring truth based on draftek.

If geno is at 8 we'd be foolish to trade back.

I was listening ot Merrill Hoge on NFL Network and he absolutely believes that Smith will be a bust. Says he looked at lots of film and even with a perfect pocket and no pressure, Smith misses too many wide open recievers. Doesn't sound like someone I want at #8. Edited by xsoldier54

I was listening ot Merrill Hoge on NFL Network and he absolutely believes that Smith will be a bust. Says he looked at lots of film and even with a perfect pocket and no pressure, Smith misses too many wide open recievers. Doesn't sound like someone I want at #8.

Might be less credible than Skip Bayless too. Consider your source on this one. He's one of the worst around.

Also said he would've cut Stevie the day of the jet celebration not even letting him on the team plane that night, for instance.

Edited by NoSaint

I doubt Geno Smith will be available at 8 let alone 22.

I like this plan though, pick Ogeltree at 22 and then select best available QB at 25 (Barkley hopefully).

I like this except the QB will be determined by whoever is left at that point, Manuel, Nassib, Barkley, etc., 22 and 25 should be two potential starters for this team. I'm definitely Down for that scenario...

Exactly which games, and how much of them did you watch?

The Pinstripe Bowl for One...

I like this except the QB will be determined by whoever is left at that point, Manuel, Nassib, Barkley, etc., 22 and 25 should be two potential starters for this team. I'm definitely Down for that scenario...

Make no mistake, the Bills will draft either Geno Smith or EJ Manuel at #8 in the first round. There's the slight chance they move ahead of the Cards for Geno Smith.

All the evidence points to the Bills drafting their "franchise" QB THIS year. You don't do that by moving back in the round or waiting and hoping your guy is there in the second round. Will they take another QB like say Matt Scott or Tyler Wilson in the third to hedge their bets? I could see that happeing.

As for Ryan Nassib, one question that his supporters can't really answer in a positive manner is why after four years under the coaching of Doug Marrone is Nassib not a slam dunk franchise QB prospect? If Nassib does have that high of a ceiling, why didn't Marrone bring it out of him by his fourth season? Why wasn't he looked at like a big time prospect like Luck and RGIII? It's a nagging question that hopefully only leads to Nassib isn't their guy and Marrone got the best of him and he will get the best out of Smith or Manuel who have much higher ceilings.

The Pinstripe Bowl for One...

So you saw one....

Where his defense gave up nearly 400 yards rushing, while wvu managed 80.

66% completions, 200 yards, 2 tds, and no ints as a "bad day" isn't all that bad. Especially when your team has melted down. The defense was a disaster, his o line didnt look good, bailey and Austin combined for a long return of 19 yards on 7 returns (average kick return around 12 yards), austin getting only 5 yards a touch on offense etc.... I'm guessing time of possession was atleast 35-25 Syracuse (likely a few mins worse)

Edited by NoSaint

Good post, and I agree with what you've written. Just for clarification: by ":Dean" you mean Astrobot, as opposed to the poster on here who goes by the name of "the Dean"?

Yes. Astrobot is upfront about his real name on Drafttek, so I used it here. His nom de plume here should be a tip off about his work over there. The Dean, is a different dude. He hasn't posted in about two years, and that's not all that makes him different. He too was a great contributor to this place. We don't need to drive any more people away.

I doubt Geno Smith will be available at 8 let alone 22.

I like this plan though, pick Ogeltree at 22 and then select best available QB at 25 (Barkley hopefully).

Love Ogletree I hope he would be there at 25, the QB I think we should take is Manuel though. Love his size and arm strength.

So this goes back to one of your earlier threads where I and several others commented on Draftek's undervaluing of quarterbacks.

As I recall you didn't return to that thread after that point was made.

Now you have Geno Smith lasting till pick #23.

So again (seeing as you're promoting your product), don't you think Draftek undervalues quarterbacks?

I think it's a pretty fair question.

I looked around other draft websites, and most have Geno Smith in the #20-23 range. When there's depth on the O- and D-Lines, like this year, that's where the feeding frenzy will be. Every one of the QBs this year is flawed, perhaps not fatally, but certainly flawed.

Thanks for the props, Nanker! I'm not leaving TBD, the Bills discussion here is deep enough, and varied enough, to accurately dipstick the Bills' needs. Right now, our P1 is QB, our P2's are WR and SILB, and our P3's are WILB and TE. If you disagree, I'd be happy to change them.

The simulations (done with VBA on Excel platform) take into account positional needs submitted by each of 32 team analysts, and our Big Board is updated weekly (and actually daily for the last 2 weeks). The Big Board guys don't rank players high who are "famous for being famous".

Astro -SI's big board has Smith at 24. he's the only qb in the top 40: http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t11_a1

I understand that big boards are trying to reflect the absolute ability of a player. Thats fine, if you're simply compiling a list. The problem comes in when you use the big boards as a jumping off point for a computer to make draft selections like DraftTek does. For their purposes, to accurately reflect the current NFL, all QBs need to be bumped up about 20 spots, given thats how much more they will be valued on draft night.

Drafttek is doing everyone a disservice by using incorrect rankings for their simulation.