IF IF IF Minnesota Trades Up To 8 for Cordarelle

Astrobot

I understand that big boards are trying to reflect the absolute ability of a player. Thats fine, if you're simply compiling a list. The problem comes in when you use the big boards as a jumping off point for a computer to make draft selections like DraftTek does. For their purposes, to accurately reflect the current NFL, all QBs need to be bumped up about 20 spots, given thats how much more they will be valued on draft night.

Drafttek is doing everyone a disservice by using incorrect rankings for their simulation.

I agree.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked around other draft websites, and most have Geno Smith in the #20-23 range. When there's depth on the O- and D-Lines, like this year, that's where the feeding frenzy will be. Every one of the QBs this year is flawed, perhaps not fatally, but certainly flawed.

Firstly thanks for replying to my concerns.

My quarrel is not so much about the QB rankings on a big board so much as where Draftek sees them going in their mock simulations.

While Geno Smith might only be in the 20-25 range as far as his prospect ranking I think it's highly unlikely that he last that long. It's more likely that he's taken in the top ten in the opinion of most people.

I tried looking unsuccessfully to see where Draftek had Jake Locker and Christian Ponder ranked in the 2011 draft.

If Draftek is going to profess to provide accurate draft simulations, I think it's necessary for them to change some of their algorithms for QBs, or simply rank them higher on the big board if that's what it takes to value them correctly.

JMO.

I'm not so certain that it is a lead pipe certainty that Geno Smith is #1 QB on every team's list of QB prospects. Former GM of the Broncos Ted Sundquist said on NFL Total Access that he considers EJ Manuel 1st round talent and stats remarkably close to Geno Smith and in a bigger frame. Sundquist also made the point of saying that EJ had a better completion % with less talented receivers than Ponder had before him in the same offense.

In Buddy and Doug We Trust.

I'm not so certain that it is a lead pipe certainty that Geno Smith is #1 QB on every team's list of QB prospects. Former GM of the Broncos Ted Sundquist said on NFL Total Access that he considers EJ Manuel 1st round talent and stats remarkably close to Geno Smith and in a bigger frame. Sundquist also made the point of saying that EJ had a better completion % with less talented receivers than Ponder had before him in the same offense.

In Buddy and Doug We Trust.

I myself would guess that he is the # 1. and possibly the only one valued as a first rounder.

He will be gone by ten and as soon as he is picked, teams will get antsy.

I dont think Smith makes it past the raiders

Interesting take. I would like to see the Bills trade back and get more picks. Jets at 9 are the only teams after them in the first round I think would select a QB. Trade back into the late first to grab a QB. Doubt that this will happen but one can dream.

While the trade down option would net more picks and greater value if the QB you want to take is still there later in the 1st, it is still a gamble to delay picking up what you expect would be the "face of the franchise" if not a franchise QB. If we traded down to 22, "what if" comes to mind - what if another QB needy team trades up ahead of 22 and takes your QB? I know this point has been made many times on this site. I like EJ but I'm also encouraged that all the decision-makers have seen him on film, at the Senior Bowl, at the Combine, at his pro day, at a personal workout and most likely at an upcoming personal visit at OBD. If they pass on him, it won't be out of ignorance.