Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia

NoSaint

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have people like Rolando Mclain it makes you think twice about these things.

McClain is also lazy. You've cited the exception to the rule. How about V. Burfict and J. Jenkins. They were good risks for teams to take last year. How much better would the Bills be if we had these two guys!? You can't just say "character issue" and leave it at that. You need to interview the guy, see if it will be a recurring problem and sometimes, when you suck like our Bills, take a risk once in oh, I don't know, 13 years.

McClain is also lazy. You've cited the exception to the rule. How about V. Burfict and J. Jenkins. They were good risks for teams to take last year. How much better would the Bills be if we had these two guys!? You can't just say "character issue" and leave it at that. You need to interview the guy, see if it will be a recurring problem and sometimes, when you suck like our Bills, take a risk once in oh, I don't know, 13 years.

We have....

Good article.

I disagree. We have taken no super high reward/medium character risk players like the ones I cited in the last 13 years. We have taken risks in drafting average, out of position talent and hoping they would be stars (Maybin).

Umm... Marshawn? Didnt he have some question marks in his past?

Some players play fine with characters issues like the ones you named but some don't. See McLain who was lauded as one of the safest choices and Ryan Leaf for people who didn't turn out. There is no rule that character issues translate to bad players just as there's no rule that character issues translate to good players, it just depends on the guy and the issues. The fact is, there are better and "safer" players to take at eight than Ogletree. If the Bill's interview him and don't take issue with his personality and he turns out to be great than awesome, but it is an issue that can't just be ignored.

If the Bills go defense with their 8 pick, there are a few linebackers I'd prefer Buffalo take ahead of Alec Ogletree (although I like him as a talent - I just feel there are a few other guys with much rarer skills/talent) - Dion Jordan or Ansah, although both play OLB, are the types of athletes that come along way less than guys like Ogletree. I think Ogletree is the best ILB talent in this draft, but he's not a once every 5 years type of ILB, not a Patrick Willis. Jordan and Ansah both have the potential to be Pierre Paul-ishly good.

Depending on what type of defense Pettine wants to run, there will be defensive players in the top ten available that are really good - maybe a Lutelelei (?), Jarvis Jones, Werner, maybe Milliner, Rhodes... who knows, Sherrif Floyd might fall. I just think as good as Ogletree appears to be, there are AT LEAST 5 defensive players who are much more impactful, and potentially much better players.

(The idea of Dareus, Williams, Williams, and someone like Jordan or Ansah, all going for the QB - I'd guess one of them would be getting close just about every time.)