Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia

NoSaint

I'd have concerns drafting him. Not because he isn't a choir boy, but because I'd wonder what level of effort and dedication he'd have to being the best pro he can be. Now, if the scouts think that he is so gifted that he can play at a high level in the NFL without effort and dedication then you have to consider him - but beware, the majority of your team has to get by on effort and dedication and guys that don't have that can erode that effort in the rest of the team.

Further, with his record, you have to wonder if he'll end up being suspended.

Edited by OldTimer1960

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is Doc, I never wanted the guy.

IMO you don't draft a non-pass rushing LB that high under any circumstances.

Then when you mix in the off-field stuff, it clinches it for me.

You wouldn't take Patrick Willis?Though for this situation I agree - we need an OLB that can rush the passer.

You wouldn't take Patrick Willis?Though for this situation I agree - we need an OLB that can rush the passer.

not if Demarcus ware, Aaron Rodgers, megaton, and revis were still on the board. You could even extend much deeper in the pool for the premium positions before I'd even discuss him.

This, to me, is a non-issue. I don't see a DUI as a reflection of poor character. I know plenty of people with great character who have gotten DUIs.

This is BS man. The problem is it's so common it gets fluffed off as evidenced by you're statement "I know plenty of people with great character who have gotten DUIs." People with character aren't willing to kill families because they are too selfish or lazy to get a ride home by other means.

I don't care about this idiot kid, but saying DUI's are non issues is ridiculous.

And Michael Irvin was a cokehead, and so was LT. Problem is, you knew these guys could play and would come to play. And it doesn't become an issue until it gets in the way of winning. People have argued that the Super Bowl era Bills could have been Super Bowl champion Bills if they were more disciplined.

Also, way to reference 20 years ago as an indicator of how to succeed today. I am sure that Joe Flacco is blowing lines in-between plays, Patrick Willis is out shooting up nightclubs, and Brady is taking time off from his supermodel wife and family to go get blasted and get behind the wheel of his Dart.

Also, you're talking to a guy who still thinks it was dumb to trade Lynch for peanuts even though he had a bad rep. I think you look at these things on a case-by-case basis, but getting behind the wheel drunk is taking your own life (and those of others) into your hands. It is a problem that needs to be dealt with more severely than does PEDs in my opinion.

Take a look at those Todd Helton pictures and consider that this guy has probably raked in about a hundred million bucks and is out wasted, driving and buying lottery tickets. I enjoy a drink as much as anybody else but alcoholism isn't taken very seriously in sports.

You want a more recent example?

Gronkowski sure as hell isn't sober in those partying pics but it doesn't seem to effect him on the field very much.

This is BS man. The problem is it's so common it gets fluffed off as evidenced by you're statement "I know plenty of people with great character who have gotten DUIs." People with character aren't willing to kill families because they are too selfish or lazy to get a ride home by other means.

I don't care about this idiot kid, but saying DUI's are non issues is ridiculous.

That's just your opinion. None of the people I know killed families. I know a guy who killed a bicycler b/c he was looking at his cell phone, but he wasn't drunk.

That's just your opinion. None of the people I know killed families. I know a guy who killed a bicycler b/c he was looking at his cell phone, but he wasn't drunk.

Maybe it will hit home to your family someday and you'll undertand how wrong you are. People that drive drunk can certainly have many great qualities, but the fact that they would do that, especially with all the awareness now, is BS.

Maybe it will hit home to your family someday and you'll undertand how wrong you are. People that drive drunk can certainly have many great qualities, but the fact that they would do that, especially with all the awareness now, is BS.

Not all drunk driving is equal. If someone gets too wasted to control his vehicle and drives like a maniac and kills someone I know, that doesn't somehow implicate a guy who had a few beers and drove home carefully.

You want a more recent example?

Gronkowski sure as hell isn't sober in those partying pics but it doesn't seem to effect him on the field very much.

Gronkowski has as many Super Bowl rings as I do. I like the player, but carry on.

Not all drunk driving is equal. If someone gets too wasted to control his vehicle and drives like a maniac and kills someone I know, that doesn't somehow implicate a guy who had a few beers and drove home carefully.

So because the second guy was lucky, he is of higher character? I understand, he was more careful -- kind of. The most careful thing would just be to not be a macho dude and let someone else drive you home or crash with a friend.

Well a couple of beers could possibly not put you over the limit the law set, if it does and you drive, you're an idiot. Of course there's degrees of drunkeness, but if me and my family are driving, I don't give a crap if the guy thinks he's ok because he had a few beers. Don't be on the road if you're impaired even if it's slightly over the allowable limit.

You mention you know someone killed because of looking at a cell phone. Is looking at your cell phone while driving an issue for you?

This is very disappointing. I really like this guy as a prospect, he's got the skill set of a modern day linebacker. Great coverage abilities, sideline to sideline speed. Hopefully this doesn't speak too much to his character and it was just one dumb mistake but something tells me it's not.

Who are you to judge? You're no saint.

Baaazing.

Realistically, it is what it is - he could be a good player with some bad situations, could be a real issue. Just some extra red flags to dig down on. The fact that there are 3 incidents kind of lends itself to the formation of a pattern. Any college kid getting through without bending a few laws would be a major exception but you have to think for a star player to get nailed repeatedly there's a good chance there's something going on.

Without knowing a ton about any of the incidents I wouldn't speak to strongly, just thought it was funny the direction the thread took there.

You said it for all the talent on that d you would think they were the 86 bears. Something isn't right.

UGA has a weird dynamic as a program. The football team brings in mostly kids from tough neighborhoods around Atlanta, and then moves them about an hour away from home, while at the same time making them even larger fish in a much smaller pond in Athens.

Mark Richt doesnt help anything being fairly soft as a coach, and being very willing to trade character for potential. Heck, 3 years ago the AD made a big speech about cleaning up the program, and then was arrested then next week.

Well a couple of beers could possibly not put you over the limit the law set, if it does and you drive, you're an idiot. Of course there's degrees of drunkeness, but if me and my family are driving...

Being a dad really clarifies this for me. If my daughter got killed or seriously injured because some drunk (or high on prescription drugs, or whatever) **** thought he could handle his abilities behind the wheel - and it was too much of a f-ckin' hardship to call a goddamned cab, there would be no end to the suffering I would want that guy to endure.

Ogletree is the lucky one here for the fact that there was no one on the road who ran into his recklessness.

Well a couple of beers could possibly not put you over the limit the law set, if it does and you drive, you're an idiot. Of course there's degrees of drunkeness, but if me and my family are driving, I don't give a crap if the guy thinks he's ok because he had a few beers. Don't be on the road if you're impaired even if it's slightly over the allowable limit.

You mention you know someone killed because of looking at a cell phone. Is looking at your cell phone while driving an issue for you?

Ask yourself the same question. There are a lot of things people do that could put others in danger. Because someone was over an arbitrarily set BAC that a leglislature set in place does not to my thinking make that person depraved. Are you equally bothered by people looking at their phone or changing a CD or fiddling with their MP3 player when they are driving? Because those things are just as, if not more deadly than someone who's had a few drinks and is driving carefully.

Ask yourself the same question. There are a lot of things people do that could put others in danger. Because someone was over an arbitrarily set BAC that a leglislature set in place does not to my thinking make that person depraved. Are you equally bothered by people looking at their phone or changing a CD or fiddling with their MP3 player when they are driving? Because those things are just as, if not more deadly than someone who's had a few drinks and is driving carefully.

The limit is not arbitrary, it's set to account for that person who has had just a couple of drinks. This is a bunch of BS excuse-making. If someone is fiddling with a device and it's resulting in reckless driving there are laws against that too. The person who does this with the result of an accident will be called reckless or negligent, as they should be.

Being a dad really clarifies this for me. If my daughter got killed or seriously injured because some !@#$ thought he could handle his abilities behind the wheel - and it was too much of a f-ckin' hardship to call a goddamned cab, there would be no end to the suffering I would want that guy to endure.

Ogletree is the lucky one here for the fact that there was no one on the road who ran into his recklessness.

I will say its an odd line in our society.... While I can say I've never done it, there's certainly an "everybody does it" attitude that makes people slow to condemn others, as they and their own friends likely have had incidents in the past even if they weren't caught.

On the flip side many go way extreme the other way demonizing it for worse than its reality may actually be.

Just a shame more people wont get a ride, walk, crash with a friend etc.....it should be such an easy discussion to avoid in the first place but to many people are willing to roll the dice.