'Super Duper' Mark Duper beats teenager until blacks-out

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea who was being sarcastic or not. But there is no good reason to strike a child to correct bad or unwanted behavior. Hitting a child perpetuates the false concept that violence is ok and appropriate. I raised two children without ever raising a hand to strike them. When undesirable behavior needed to be corrected, I would take away possessions or privileges. This clears up any unwanted behavior very quickly. Consistency with this policy is also key.

I have no idea who was being sarcastic or not. But there is no good reason to strike a child to correct bad or unwanted behavior. Hitting a child perpetuates the false concept that violence is ok and appropriate. I raised two children without ever raising a hand to strike them. When undesirable behavior needed to be corrected, I would take away possessions or privileges. This clears up any unwanted behavior very quickly. Consistency with this policy is also key.

He was 17. I would not call him a child. However, there is no reason to strike anyone...unless you are Wayne Brady, because some times when you are Wayne Brady you just have to smack a...

Edited by jboyst62

First off, no one here is claiming to be tuff/tough guys and to me it doesn't sound like anyone here wants to live vicariously through him. Secondly, I wonder what percentage of people that were never in prison/jail were hit by there parents. Probably most of them, including me. Having said this, a beating like that is pretty extreme. Maybe Duper can blame it on too many hits to the head during his playing days.

There are definitely people here advocating "tough love", and there are definitely people mentioning how they believe Duper's actions were okay.

Some quotes from posters:

"Now, I'm not saying he should have knocked him out, but I understand. And I bet you he listens next time."

"I'm jealous. I wish I had the guts to beat a teenager unconscious. When at the [wherever I pretend to be going] and see a teenager dressed like a douche some times I just want to beat their ass, too!"

Sounds like people getting a vicarious thrill from his actions to me.

Now maybe they were just exaggerating a little? But maybe I was as well (just a little)?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Look, I have no idea what happened in this case but after working with teenagers, the majority are idiots who think they are untouchable. So many lack respect and think they can mouth off without consequences. Now, I'm not saying he should have knocked him out, but I understand. And I bet you he listens next time.

+1

There are definitely people here advocating "tough love", and there are definitely people mentioning how they believe Duper's actions were okay.

Some quotes from posters:

"Now, I'm not saying he should have knocked him out, but I understand. And I bet you he listens next time."

"I'm jealous. I wish I had the guts to beat a teenager unconscious. When at the [wherever I pretend to be going] and see a teenager dressed like a douche some times I just want to beat their ass, too!"

Sounds like people getting a vicarious thrill from his actions to me.

Now maybe they were just exaggerating a little? But maybe I was as well (just a little)?

Point well taken.

:thumbsup:

What exactly are we discussing here? We need to create a clear distinction between being a parent and disciplining your child and being a parent and beating your child to the point he passes out.

The boundary/line between the two is clear, and I would hope doesn't need to be explained.

LOL. Your comment is abusrd.

A grown man (ex-football player who's not an "average man" in terms of strength), beating the **** out of his teenage son is "understandable"? You need to get your head checked.

So if one of the several body slams he gave his son resulted in a cracked skull and his kid being a vegetable or even dead, oh well, its understandable.

I would have to agree with this. As a new father, I cannot fathom doing something like this. I know, some of you will say, "give it some time," or some other BS like that. But I also have a 15 year old brother. So, I've had a teenager around for a while. They can be a pain in the a##, but so can adults. Instead of physically assaulting his son, thereby teaching him that such actions are the proper way to handle disrespect, try having a conversation with him, or telling him he's grounded, etc. There is simply no excuse for his actions.

What exactly are we discussing here? We need to create a clear distinction between being a parent and disciplining your child and being a parent and beating your child to the point he passes out.

The boundary/line between the two is clear, and I would hope doesn't need to be explained.

Apparently it does to some. :blush:

The "child" is 17. And his dad has NFL player genes. Have you seen the size and stature of 17 year olds nowadays? You think threatening to "take away his xbox" was going to do anything?

Sometimes sons want to push and test dad to see who "the man" really is. Most of the times the sons regret it. This is no different.

I'll grant you that this is most likely the result of 17 years of poor or violent parenting. But I cant say that Duper is the only one to blame in this case. Id bet anything that the son did a whole lot to bring this on himself.

You make it sound like Duper just attacked the son with no consideration to the fact that the son may have been the one to escalate or even initiate it. If the kid keeps coming at you, what're you going to do? We dont know how it all went down, and those little details that happen in the moment make all the difference.

Bottom line though: Both parties involved are a-holes.