No discussion of Cyprus?

TPS

I was actually thinking about beginning a thread on this topic. What's craziest to me about all this is that the EU crafted the deal, I mean it would be one thing if it was something that would of been proposed by their government, it's another to have the EU and IMF put their official stamp of approval. I understand their goal, get all that money from the Russian Oligarchs, who have been evading taxes, but the mechanism that they used by casting such a wide net, that ensnares so many other people is astonishing.

Accounts under 100k Euros will get "taxed" (confiscated) at 6.75% and accounts over 100K at 9.99%.

Doesn't surprise me that there is a run on their banks, I just don't see how this will be a positive development.

I was actually thinking about beginning a thread on this topic. What's craziest to me about all this is that the EU crafted the deal, I mean it would be one thing if it was something that would of been proposed by their government, it's another to have the EU and IMF put their official stamp of approval. I understand their goal, get all that money from the Russian Oligarchs, who have been evading taxes, but the mechanism that they used by casting such a wide net, that ensnares so many other people is astonishing.

Accounts under 100k Euros will get "taxed" (confiscated) at 6.75% and accounts over 100K at 9.99%.

Doesn't surprise me that there is a run on their banks, I just don't see how this will be a positive development.

Russia goes to war over this.

Coming soon to a bank near you.

I heard someone postulate on the radio this morning that, because of Cyprus' banking laws, this is basically designed to screw over Russian mobsters hiding their money in Cyprus.

Which would be amusingly astute, if true.

Coming soon to a bank near you.

Yup, the groundwork is already being laid. Just look at the lemmings on this board repeating the government's "hoarders" mantra. Ohhh....must punish those evil people for saving money!!!

It's already happening in the form of depositors taking what they can out of ATMs. They declared a bank holiday for today, and possibly continue tomorrow until they do something to calm people down.

I heard someone postulate on the radio this morning that, because of Cyprus' banking laws, this is basically designed to screw over Russian mobsters hiding their money in Cyprus.

I read that on a blog yesterday. The EU (German) and IMF bankers better get some more protection if that is the case...

It's already happening in the form of depositors taking what they can out of ATMs. They declared a bank holiday for today, and possibly continue tomorrow until they do something to calm people down.

Here's a way to calm people down. Don't tax bank deposits.

Who else in 2013 would still hold millions in a Cypriot bank account?