Sabres starting to come apart at the seams?

Buftex

You don't move players in spite. You try to get value for them. That said, I don't think moving Miller is a bad idea. Let him play for a contender as long as we get value in return. Pommers could go, maybe Stafford, but I'd keep Vanek.

What is interesting to me is how well the Rochester call-ups are playing. Why didn't these kids get a shot earlier? Probably because Ruff never let them unless injury forced his hand.

PTR

Stafford is most definitely expendable...he is very talented, we have seen it in the past, but he just can't seem to get un-tracked. I don't think he is lazy, just not lucky. Even his shoot out goal last night was a little wacky. A change of scenery would probably be good for him, and his past levels of production (albeit limited) should bring something back in return.

I would be open to trading Miller as well. I think it could happen. I think Darcy will wait until the last possible moment to pull the trigger, if he pulls it. It will depend on how much better the Sabres chances look at a playoff run this year, by the time the deadline rolls around. I would be surprised if he is on the roster to start next season. Of course, I also think that Pegula will let Darcy walk at the end of the season, unless the team really makes a heraculian push to the playoffs. Pegula can't be happy witht the way things are going in "Hockey Heaven". If this is the case, than Pegula may not want Darcy making any major trades.

Either way, if they do think they can still make a run this year, I would like to see Enroth used more frequently down the stretch..at least more frequently than Ruff would have used him, with a healthy Miller. Despite what he says, I really feel like Miller tires out when he plays too much..and Enroth is kind of streaky. He has looked really solid his last few starts, let him get a little momentum, and let Miller play with less fatigue.

I am not sure why everyone is always ready to ship Pomminville off...he is an all-out effort guy, and is productive. I know he doesn't fit the mold of the "team captain" that many would like, but he isn't garbage. I think Pomminville is worth keeping. Maybe, next season, you give the "C" to Ott (does any player on the Sabres roster carry himself like a team captain, more than Ott?), but I think there should be room for Pomminville. And, of coure, I would also try to sign Vanek long-term...but he is a little enigmatic sometimes...does he want to stay in Buffalo? He is hard to read. I don't question his effort, but I am sometimes not sure if the look of disgust he shows comes from his disappointment in himself, or with his situation. As great as he can be, he does seem like a very frustrated player at times. But yeah, I want to keep him.

As for the Rochester call-ups, lets face it, the current head coach is playing guys he is comfortable with...the guys he coached in Rochester...and Lindy was playing the guys he was comfortable with.

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Leafs game last night. Might have been the best home game all year. Fall behind 2, come back and win with a shoot-out, and best of all quiet the HUGE Leafs crowd. Easy 10K+ were from Toronto

Or as the Leafs guy next to me said: "Bad enough my Leafs loose to the Sabres, then you stick me with your crappy football team?!?!?" :D

At the Leafs game last night. Might have been the best home game all year. Fall behind 2, come back and win with a shoot-out, and best of all quiet the HUGE Leafs crowd. Easy 10K+ were from Toronto

Or as the Leafs guy next to me said: "Bad enough my Leafs loose to the Sabres, then you stick me with your crappy football team?!?!?" :D

:lol: FU Toronto!

I've only been to a couple sabres games over the last few years, but Thursday against the Leafs was a blast. Never heard it so loud in there. Steve Ott is awesome.

Just finished watching last nights game against the Canadians. Not bad. The biggest improvement I am seeing over the last 4 or 5 games, they seem to be using space much better, defensively. They still have issues from time to time, but they seem to be actually helping Miller, rather than getting in his way. Ehrhoff and Regher (as expected I suppose) are playing solid defense, and even Jordan Leopold, who many were ready to pull the plug on, is showing some vetran moxi. Tyler Myers has improved as well...though I still don't love his puck handling skills in his own end.

Offensivley, they seem to be getting more quality chances (against good teams) though I am still mystified as to how they get outshot so thoroughly every game. Oh well, just gotta keep making your shots count. Never thought Ville Lleno was going to be a shot in the arm for them...but he has been. Fingers crossed....

Wouldn't it be interesting if Ron Rolstons' Buffalo Sabres were facing off against Lindy Ruffs' Tampa Bay Lightening team on Tuesday night?

Edited by Buftex

He said BFLO sports. Columbus does have Ohio State... They win.

Okay, K... I guess we have the Bandits! I went to a lacrosse store here in IL and they have Bandits jersey's all over the joint...

:D

I just meant that everything with Buffalo is always the worst, whether it is or not. Is just missing the playoffs worse than being in the cellar for your entire existence as a franchise like Columbus?

After beating MTL yesterday the Sabres are 2 points out of 8th with 16 games to go. Not dead yet.

PTR

Still dead. They have more games played than just about everyone else. NYI already jumped them. Washington will with a win or the Rangers will move into 8th with a win and be up 4 with a game in hand.

Not to mention they like to give up loser points to the teams they are chasing. The worst thing this team could do is another run to 9th place.

They are desperately in need of top end talent on the roster. Vanek is the only top 10 pick they have had in recent history. Hodgson was #10 as well I believe. But the lack of top end talent shows.

Stafford and Pominville are complacent and invisible (always, and for stretches, respectively). They need a culture change.

Still dead. They have more games played than just about everyone else. NYI already jumped them. Washington will with a win or the Rangers will move into 8th with a win and be up 4 with a game in hand.

Not to mention they like to give up loser points to the teams they are chasing. The worst thing this team could do is another run to 9th place.

They are desperately in need of top end talent on the roster. Vanek is the only top 10 pick they have had in recent history. Hodgson was #10 as well I believe. But the lack of top end talent shows.

Stafford and Pominville are complacent and invisible (always, and for stretches, respectively). They need a culture change.

They aren't dead...but admittedly, they need to win a lot of games down the stretch...they probably have to win about 11 or 12 of their final 16 games. It may sound impossible, but they have gone on tears like that before. They have played 2 more games than two of the 4 teams they need to surpass, to qualify for the playoffs. It isn't as hopeless as you make it sound. It will obviously take the Sabres playing at a much higher level than they have been, but don't just assume that every team that has been consistantly winning will keep on winning. It happens every year...a team or two get hot, and another team or two cool off.

They are coming off their first three game winning streak of the year...what encourages me, they are all quality wins, and, if you watched the games, and watched earlier games, you can't help but notice that they are playing good hockey recently...maybe the culture change you are calling for has started to take place?

Also, I will give you that Stafford is struggling...but I don't get the criticism of Pomminville...guy is having a really good season, and has been one of the more consistent players all year.

Edited by Buftex

They aren't dead...but admittedly, they need to win a lot of games down the stretch...they probably have to win about 11 or 12 of their final 16 games. It may sound impossible, but they have gone on tears like that before. They have played 2 more games than two of the 4 teams they need to surpass, to qualify for the playoffs. It isn't as hopeless as you make it sound. It will obviously take the Sabres playing at a much higher level than they have been, but don't just assume that every team that has been consistantly winning will keep on winning. It happens every year...a team or two get hot, and another team or two cool off.

They are coming off their first three game winning streak of the year...what encourages me, they are all quality wins, and, if you watched the games, and watched earlier games, you can't help but notice that they are playing good hockey recently...maybe the culture change you are calling for has started to take place?

Also, I will give you that Stafford is struggling...but I don't get the criticism of Pomminville...guy is having a really good season, and has been one of the more consistent players all year.

Consistent you say? How about 14 games in February and THREE POINTS? I will even throw the guy a bone and add in the first 5 games of March....19 games, 7 points.18 games with 0 points.

Not to mention his soft play and then blaming his teammate for that go against Washington last week where he didn't even bother to move his feet off the draw. Way to lead by example pal.

Consistent you say? How about 14 games in February and THREE POINTS? I will even throw the guy a bone and add in the first 5 games of March....19 games, 7 points.18 games with 0 points.

Not to mention his soft play and then blaming his teammate for that go against Washington last week where he didn't even bother to move his feet off the draw. Way to lead by example pal.

His supposed consistency is a myth, as is his supposed defensive prowess. Plus, he's possibly the softest NHLer I've ever seen.

Sounds pretty consistent to me.

Okay...they are "blowing it up" so to speak. Darcy did a nice job of getting something for "nothing" in the Leopold and Regher trades...I have a feeling Pomminville will be gone before the trade deadline. I know, he obviously has his detractors, but I think some of you are underestimating his trade value.

Check out the comments in this article...Pomminville may seem like a soft, underachiever to some Sabres fans, but others (fans) around the league see him as a player to covet. I am not opposed to trading him at all, but Darcy needs to get something tangible for him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419629

I think Pommers is a great player but a horrible captain. Unfortunately history dictates that you can't strip the C off his sweater unless its via a trade.

Biggest mistake Ruff made was not making Vanek the captain.