UPDATE: LB Karlos Dansby good match for new Bills defense scheme?

IM NOT YOUR BROTHER, FRIEND!!!

IM NOT YOUR FRIEND, BROTHER!!!!!

Are you sure ?

The listings i have last seen are showing Alonso White and Moats lining up inside. We have more than enough outside players and pass rushing. But who is going to plug the gap ,fill the hole , be the mike ? i I too think we need the veteran presence inside calling the play. Will it be Dansby ? less likely each passing day i think. But some one needs to be a thumper. I was bit surprised about Shepp for Hughes. makes me think Marrone has a plan. I just cant see it yet.

go bills

edit New Era you are right. i did see a mock with Bradham inside !

Edited by 3rdand12

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The buzzword for defense this year seems to be versatile. How versatile is Dansby? I'm fairly certain he was strictly a 4-3 MIKE for Miami.

His versatility comes in his ability to cover, play the run, and rush the passer that in the end makes him a muli-dimensional LB.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Dude's only a year younger than Barnett.

And a year younger than Eddie Robinson when we picked him up. What do we need him for? To shine on a team lead by a QB who will likely take 2-3 to develop? So, when Manuel is hitting on all cylinders, Dansby's wheels will be falling off and we'll have to sub in a younger LB with limited experience. Let the LBs experience their growing pains now, not later.

The buzzword for defense this year seems to be versatile. How versatile is Dansby? I'm fairly certain he was strictly a 4-3 MIKE for Miami.

He also played ILB in the 34.

His versatility comes in his ability to cover, play the run, and rush the passer that in the end makes him a muli-dimensional LB.

Yes, every LB should be able to cover and play the run. The coaches are emphasizing positional versatility this offseason. We know he's great as the 4-3 MIKE. Now what about playing inside in the 3-4 or 3-3-5 and how well can he play it?

Yes, every LB should be able to cover and play the run. The coaches are emphasizing positional versatility this offseason. We know he's great as the 4-3 MIKE. Now what about playing inside in the 3-4 or 3-3-5 and how well can he play it?

Why would the Bills pursue Karlos to begin with if he didn't have the ability to play those spots? The inability to play anything more than the traditional 4-3 Mike is exactly why Shepp is gone to Indy.

Why would the Bills pursue Karlos to begin with if he didn't have the ability to play those spots? The inability to play anything more than the traditional 4-3 Mike is exactly why Shepp is gone to Indy.

Earlier in this thread someone said that they didn't think Dansby would be a 3-down LB with us, and that could be the case. If he wasn't going to be a 3-down player with us, I could see a huge gap between our offer and his asking price. Also Shepp stunk as the MIKE in a 4-3 so he couldn't even do that very well.

Edited by QCity

KD never played IL in a 4-3 before the 2012 season, here is a decent article that discusses his transition to the 4-3 last summer.

Can he play inside in a 3-4? Pretty damn good!

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

Earlier in this thread someone said that they didn't think Dansby would be a 3-down LB with us, and that could be the case. If he wasn't going to be a 3-down player with us, I could see a huge gap between our offer and his asking price. Also Shepp stunk as the MIKE in a 4-3 so he couldn't even do that very well.

I don't agree with that assessment of Dansby unless he's slowed considerably. Based on last season, I'd say that's not the case.

On the other hand, I agree that Shepp was simply an awful 43 Mike.

KD never played IL in a 4-3 before the 2012 season, here is a decent article that discusses his transition to the 4-3 last summer.

Can he play inside in a 3-4? Pretty damn good!

That's a good article, it would appear that he can flourish in both schemes. PFT says we never made him an offer. NFL.com says his stock dropped with us after the draft. It's difficult to read our FO in this case, we definitely need another ILB.

I don't agree with that assessment of Dansby unless he's slowed considerably. Based on last season, I'd say that's not the case.

On the other hand, I agree that Shepp was simply an awful 43 Mike.

Buddy did mention in the interview today that Dansby can also play the same spots that Alonso will be in new defensive schemes.

That's a good article, it would appear that he can flourish in both schemes. PFT says we never made him an offer. NFL.com says his stock dropped with us after the draft. It's difficult to read our FO in this case, we definitely need another ILB.

Its possible that while Dansby was meeting with Nix and the coaches that Jim Overdorf was talking salary demands with his agent. The agent could have given Overdorf a salary much higher than the Bills were willing to give, so no formal contract offer was made. Pure speculation of course.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Maybe the buzzword should be TALENTED? They can line up a player at 6 positions, but if he can't play them at a high level, what good is it. Jack of all trades, master of none. ;)

I also question......who are the two inside LB's in this scheme......

it is hard to tell, because the linebackers are supposed to be interchangeable, and since they are doing multiple front, they will have only one ILB sometimes.

it could be anyone out of Kiko, Chris White, Moats. I think bradham and Lawson are supposed to be OLB, but they are pretty deep at OLB right now, so I imagine they both will see time at ILB in the 3-4 front. Not sure what this defense will look like, but it sounds like it doesn't matter who is starting where, because they will be moved around. Though I assume mario and anderson will stick to the outside.

Buddy's made it pretty clear in interviews that the 2 ILB spots are the Will (Bradham) and Mike (Alonso), and that they want everyone at one spot to be able to play the other. The 2 OLB spots are a little less clear, since Buddy seems to call them Sam (Lawson) and "Rush End" (Mario? Anderson?), but whatever they are, Buddy wants personnel for those positions to be interchangeable as well.

In speaking about ILBs/versatility, Buddy mentioned Bradham, Alonso, and Moats. Interesting that 1.) he didn't mention any other backups, which tells me all of them are strong candidates to get cut, and 2.) the new coaching staff also thinks that Moats should be in a position where he can hardly ever do the one thing he does well, which is edge-rush the passer.

Except the source is anything but reliable. I'm hoping that it's true. There is no link or source or anything. This seems to be the same info that was out before the draft.

Yeah not saying whether it's true or not but that site has ZERO credibility.

It seems like when free agency opened this year, they were just throwing crap against the wall.

I'm not in favor of the practice of this forum banning websites but I'd rather read Bleacher Report than Pro Football Central.

Look how shoddy and generic their site is…. It feels like you're buying electronics equipment and jewelry out of someone's car trunk.