Great article on the Bills

BILLS #1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of holes this teams has and overall lack of depth is what annoys me the most with their lack of activity in free agency. Being active in free agency doesn't always mean breaking the bank, there were plenty of players available that signed reasonable deals who could have helped the Bills

The fact that this team has so many holes and lacks depth is a clear indication of how bad a job Nix and his staff have done

Ok I don't get it. The reason the Bills are where they are is be caused they have ignored the QB position for years. So the solution to fixing it is to ignore the position for another year?

With the rookie salary structure it no longer destroys your franchise for five years if you make a mistake with a QB in the first round. Take one every year until you get it right!

Ok I don't get it. The reason the Bills are where they are is be caused they have ignored the QB position for years. So the solution to fixing it is to ignore the position for another year?

With the rookie salary structure it no longer destroys your franchise for five years if you make a mistake with a QB in the first round. Take one every year until you get it right!

This, kinda. It is a point that it destroys a young QB's confidence if you yank him in and out and many young QB need more than 1 year to develop. But you can always have a guy waiting in the wings.

Matt Scott is what he is.. A 2nd or 3rd day player who will need lots of development time and probably will be a solid backup most of is career

but if you think the Bills can hitch their future on such a guy then you represents the exact same mentality we've had for a few decades.

I would love to draft Scott but only as a plan B guy

Edited by Snorom

There is just something missing in all of this

"its not Nassib's football skills that make me nervous"

THis wreaks of "I have a favorite QB I wanted drafted next year......and taking one this year will prevent that"

Guys......if football players can play.....THEY CAN PLAY........I am not even saying I want Nassib at 8.....but the fact of the matter is if Nassib can play at the next level and if his long ball issues are coachable then what the heck are people worried about? He is a leader, he is accurate in the short to intermediate....he has an arm.....he has good size....he is tough.....would it be SO BAD to take a QB that wont falter in the final drive of a game and throw a pick?

People are getting too worked up in drafting "thier guy"

- Take Jarvis Jones at 8

- Trade up a bit and get Nassib

- Bring in a couple of free agent wide receivers and a tight end

Then we are already improved from last year.

Matt Scott is what he is.. A 2nd or 3rd day player who will need lots of development time and probably will be a solid backup most of is career

but if you think the Bills can hitch their future on such a guy then you represents the exact same mentality we've had for a few decades.

I would love to draft Scott but only as a plan B guy

Actually, it is YOUR kind of thinking that led to the Bills passing on Wilson and Kaepernick.

The amount of holes this teams has and overall lack of depth is what annoys me the most with their lack of activity in free agency. Being active in free agency doesn't always mean breaking the bank, there were plenty of players available that signed reasonable deals who could have helped the Bills

The fact that this team has so many holes and lacks depth is a clear indication of how bad a job Nix and his staff have done

Every single NFL team has holes and non of them have adequete depth. It's a ruse and a farce to believe that. The salary cap doesn't allow for depth.

Why the hell does it have to be said over and over again? The common denominator to win is having the QB position resolved. This team has enough talent to win right now with a good QB and could win a superbowl with a great one.

Everything you do in FA or the draft becomes relevant when you have a QB, without one nothing is. I don't give a damn how good your O line and D line and Safety, and CB depth is, if you don't have a QB you have nothing.

Everything and I mean everything teams like Miami did will go for naught if Tannehill doesn't become a top 10 QB.

Nix has done a good job, but he hasn't found a QB. But to complain about depth is so ridiculous I can't stand it anymore. Be "active in free agency"? for what? They went all in last year because they thought Fitz had a chance to lead us, he didn't. Blame that on Nix, but not a lot else. Good god.

I am continually amazed at how short memories are on this board. Seems like after the Lombardi is awarded people magically forget what prevents this franchise from becoming even average. Sure, the defense was completely putrid in 2012. Yet it's the QB play most responsible for Buffalo remaining anchored at the division basement. How many game-ending turnovers does Buffalo's QB have to make before we remember why they are 16-32 in their past 3 seasons?

Being active in free agency doesn't always mean breaking the bank, there were plenty of players available that signed reasonable deals who could have helped the Bills

You're making a lot of assumptions with that statement. It's not like the guy is negotiating with a couple teams and then when he gets an offer broadcasts it out to all 32 teams. They may use it with the teams they are negotiating with, but there's so much that is going on behind the scenes, it's tough to say that because xxxx signed for yyyy with zzzz that the Bills failed.

As for the QB, I think it is a chick and egg question. Are there QBs in this draft that you believe can come into the NFL and win with little help from the defense and a questionable group of wide receivers.

Edited by jeremy2020

There is just something missing in all of this

"its not Nassib's football skills that make me nervous"

THis wreaks of "I have a favorite QB I wanted drafted next year......and taking one this year will prevent that"

Guys......if football players can play.....THEY CAN PLAY........I am not even saying I want Nassib at 8.....but the fact of the matter is if Nassib can play at the next level and if his long ball issues are coachable then what the heck are people worried about? He is a leader, he is accurate in the short to intermediate....he has an arm.....he has good size....he is tough.....would it be SO BAD to take a QB that wont falter in the final drive of a game and throw a pick?

People are getting too worked up in drafting "thier guy"

- Take Jarvis Jones at 8

- Trade up a bit and get Nassib

- Bring in a couple of free agent wide receivers and a tight end

Then we are already improved from last year.

Spot on... the blog is a Bills fan blogger as indicated by "we need"... The blogger's opinion has no more cred than you, I, or anyone on this board.

As far as taking Jones at #8 and trading up to get Nassib. It might work, but two things to consider...

1) Jones has a reputation as a slacker and an arthritic knee condition.... I don't think you want to gamble @ #8

2) If Nassib is their guy at QB, why not tae him at #8? If they don't they have to gamble that the Jets won't grab him at 40 ahead of them, or leap frog maybe back into the first round and have to give up their #2 and a #4 or #5. If they do that, they go from six picks to 5 picks with a lot of holes to fill.

With about $25m of cap space (I believe) I think the Bills are still in play for perhaps as many as 5 free agents to fill holes and solid depth. With the extra money they rolled from last year, they might be able to leverage that by offering a couple of good free agents front loaded contracts or a guaranteed salary for this year that would be cap friendly this year and next. That would buy them some time to reload with draft picks in 2013 & 2014 and have the ability to re-sign some of their own in those years.

How many time does it have to be said over and over again? There is no QB resolution for the Bills in this class of QBs.

You see the future huh? So let's just spend every dime we have in free agency because YOU don't like who's coming out in the draft. Guess what cheese ball picking eight you'd be picking from the same crop of QB's anyway. Oh but you're probably so smart you know the second tier of QB's will be better next year.

This is where I am too. Nobody is gonna win a Superbowl today without strong QB play. Trent Dilfer is already a long time ago. Never in the league's history has it been so crucial to be able to pass the ball.

What that means is that if we don't get a good quarterback, nothing else we do is relevant. I completely agree, just draft one every year until you get it right.

How many time does it have to be said over and over again? There is no QB resolution for the Bills in this class of QBs.

This sentiment is really annoying. Last year was an anomally for qbs. Just because there is no Luck doesn't mean this is a weak class for qbs. Smith, wilson, Barkley all have the tools to be very good pro qbs, plus there's guys like jones, nassib, glennon and manuel that have long term potential as well.

The draft, especially at QB, is mostly a crap shoot. Most picks have about a 50-50 chance of making it. Even the so-called "can't miss" picks.....miss. In Oakland, they thought Jamarcus Russel was going to be their QB of the future, and most of the so-called experts agreed with the pick.

On the other side......most people thought Russell Wilson didn't have what it took to be a starting QB.

I'm not defending Buffalo's decisions in the draft, because the team's record shows that their decision making process hasn't been good. That being said, the draft is a combination of educated gambles and luck.

Let's hope the new staff is educated enough and lucky enough to get it right.