Let's take some guesses why OBD isn't doing anything

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be because the FA pool is loaded with overpriced veterans that they do not feel is a good fit for what they are trying to achieve. I always marvel at folks that act like rabid women shoppers on black Friday. My wife comes home with 50 things we don't need because they were on sale, I feel the same way about the FA rush each year.

Rich Gosselin of the Dalls Morning News tweeted that over the first 4 days of free agency teams spent over $700 million on the top 25 guys signed, with nearly $300 mil being guaranteed. Here's the kicker, the combined Pro Bowl appearences of those 25 players.....6!

So, it stands to reason that a lot of teams (see: Miami) overpaid for a bunch of mediocre talent. I bet when it's all said and done, the Bills will get a lot of bang for their buck by being patient.

Could be because the FA pool is loaded with overpriced veterans that they do not feel is a good fit for what they are trying to achieve. I always marvel at folks that act like rabid women shoppers on black Friday. My wife comes home with 50 things we don't need because they were on sale, I feel the same way about the FA rush each year.

Good analogy !!

Someone gets it. Thank you.

Just to add, I am sure they targeted some players, and have gauged interest. Now they wait.

I think they went after Manny Lawson fast & early because they thought he was by far the best fit for Pettine's defense. I'm guessing that at other positions, they don't feel like there's a huge difference between their #1, #2 and #3 choices. So they'll wait to the market cools off and then look for players at reasonable prices.

I think they went after Manny Lawson fast & early because they thought he was by far the best fit for Pettine's defense. I'm guessing that at other positions, they don't feel like there's a huge difference between their #1, #2 and #3 choices. So they'll wait to the market cools off and then look for players at reasonable prices.

Hondo makes sense.

I love to bust chops as much as most and more than some in these parts, but what a difference a year makes.

Last year at this time everyone was like a lab rat on crack pushing F5 every ten seconds. This year, crickets.

I think the older crowd here understands the basics of what's going on at OBD now. But the hotpockets crowd and the chronic naysayers and disbelievers will never shut up until they see the baby. Then, they'll be among the best fans The Bills have EVER had - just ask 'em.

What are you? Some sort of philosophizer???

That really is a great look on it though.

If the Bills came home from FA with WR, TE, LB, and OG at a fair price, which of these players would you say don't fill a positional need?

Edited by Hopeful

Yes because apparently winning is NOT what the Bills are hoping to achieve which is what these FA's would have helped us do.

That's the most positive spin on what's going down but....

This is identical to Gailey's first year. Try to bottom out by purging the lineup and save the cap space. It is Deja Vu all over again. After the draft is when they will go bargain hunting and that will be that for 2013.

I'm concerned this is the more likely explanation. If we wind up starting the WR equivalent of Reggie Torbor, Andra DAvis, and Akin Ayodele at LB (and the LB equivalent of these guys at LB), this will be proven correct.

Edited by Hopeful

I am still sticking to the crazy conspiracy theory (mostly because it is fun). Maybe they are involving a third team for a sneaky trade :) Like Revis or a QB. Maybe they will have said third team trade for Revis, and then in turn trade him to us. They could be saving cap space for a contract.

To be serious here tho. I really think they are going to hit the clearance racks after the crazy rush. Makes sense with analytics to get the most for your money.