New Stadium Already Being Discussed?

BRAWNDO

I know Mike.

I wasn't talking about being in the stadium and being able to see the falls from inside so much as I was thinking of blimp shots of the stadium, falls, bridge, gorge, etc. all juxtaposed in the foreground and background.

Ever wonder what will get built first A new Peace Bridge or a new Stadium? They've only been building a new Peace Bridge for 20 years or so I believe.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope they build a retractable roof in downtown Buffalo near the waterfront. That would be ideal. I'm not a big fan of Niagara Falls, NY. It's still a dump over there. Having the stadium downtown would be so beneficial for Buffalo for a million reasons. I think the outdoor weather advantage is so overplayed nowadays. The Bills haven't won much in weather in 14 years. Guess what, better talent wins and always will. I also think an indoor stadium in winter will curb the fighting and machismo in the stadium.. People are better behaved indoors. They just are. Go to any domed stadium and check it out. It's better for families. You don't see many fights in First Niagara center either.

Edited by zow2

The city clowns couldn't get a bait store built in 10 years of talking. Just how would a downtown stadium

happen? As for NF that is just absurd. Build it next to the ralph and be done with it. Way less city, county and state

bribes to pay.

It was Bass Pro that led the city by the nose for ten years. They had no real intention on building a store downtown. Fault the city clowns for not realizing that sooner.

It was Bass Pro that led the city by the nose for ten years. They had no real intention on building a store downtown. Fault the city clowns for not realizing that sooner.

You are right that it was Bass Pro that ultimately didn't want to consumate the deal. The next time the region enters into a development arrangement they should put in some explicit timelines in the contract.

There is a dramatic difference in the way Pegula and his associates are handling their development project around the water front and the way the Bass Pro people acted with their elusive paper project. Pegula is off to the races with his fast action shovels already throwing the dirt.

Anyone who have ever lived in Cleveland or Cincinnati knows that waterfront football stadiums are overrated. Take Cincinnati, for example, the area immediately around it is empty. A couple hundred yards away is the baseball stadium though, which has attracted a good amount of commerce. The football stadium almost looks lonely. That said, Buffalo seems unable to come up with any other good uses for waterfront property, so why not, I guess.

Anyone who have ever lived in Cleveland or Cincinnati knows that waterfront football stadiums are overrated. Take Cincinnati, for example, the area immediately around it is empty. A couple hundred yards away is the baseball stadium though, which has attracted a good amount of commerce. The football stadium almost looks lonely. That said, Buffalo seems unable to come up with any other good uses for waterfront property, so why not, I guess.

Yes, large outdoor football stadiums on waterfront property in cold weather cities are going to stand lonely and empty for large chunks of time. The technology is here now. A retractable roof stadium is the way to go. Buffalo would be stupid to build an open air stadium on the waterfront. Just go for it, build the retractable roof and act big time for once. Be able to host a multitude of events throughout the year, during cold or warm weather. I'll even chip in a few bucks :)

Edited by zow2

The only way to make a new stadium viable is to have it be a multi-purpose facility. A combo stadium and convention center makes sense. The model to copy is the new multi-purpose facility in Indianapolis. The current convention center in Buffalo is small and antiquated. Instead of putting any more money in that facility or build another facility it would make sense to merge a stadium project with a convention type facility.

One of the major stumbling blocks in moving forward with a stadium project is that no one knows what is going to happen after Ralph Wilson passes. Until that issue is resolved I see little progress being made on stadium project.

Bethlehem Steel would be cool... get rid of a gigantic depressing eyesore and turn it into something useful... however it would probably take 20 years of environmental studies and a billion dollars worth of cleanup

It seems like a waste to put a football stadium on the waterfront.

I vote downtown Buffalo

Yep. Put it in the city. That land is not worth that much,,, could mow down just about any 10 square blocks you want and you wouldn't lose much.

...Be able to host a multitude of events throughout the year, during cold or warm weather. I'll even chip in a few bucks :)

I'm in favor of a domed stadium(retractable roof or not), but don't kid yourself, there are no "multitude of events" waiting to come to Buffalo that can't already fit in FNC. It's nothing more than wishful thinking.

I'm in favor of a domed stadium(retractable roof or not), but don't kid yourself, there are no "multitude of events" waiting to come to Buffalo that can't already fit in FNC. It's nothing more than wishful thinking.

Well Buffalo already hosts NCAA basketball and hockey regionals. They could get a Final Four. They could bring back the International Bowl. They could have an annual stadium game vs the Maple Leafs. There aren't dozens if events but there are a few.

PTR

Yep. Put it in the city. That land is not worth that much,,, could mow down just about any 10 square blocks you want and you wouldn't lose much.

I agree. Raze the Perry St projects and you immediately improve that neighborhood. And it is big enough to hold a stadium and keep plenty of parking/tailgating. Edited by beerme1

Asking because I don't know but how is the waterfront development in Pittsburgh around Heinz and PNC?

It's great around those two stadiums.

Putting it on the Bethlehem Steel site would be perfect. Kill two birds with one stone.

And, you wouldn't even have to worry about money, because superfunds sounds like an awful lot of money to me!

They first need access to the waterfront! They should have moved the 190 further east years ago... I think it was even suggested when it was being built a zillion years ago... By outside consultants... BUT noooo, does BFLO ever listen?... Same problem going on for over 100 years, they never learn.

Well Buffalo already hosts NCAA basketball and hockey regionals. They could get a Final Four. They could bring back the International Bowl. They could have an annual stadium game vs the Maple Leafs. There aren't dozens if events but there are a few.

PTR

All of which(except for the FInal Four which is a pipe dream new stadium or not) could be held at FNC or RWS. Bottom line...if a new stadium is built regardless of open air, domed, or retractable roof, plan on it being used 8 times a year.

I'd probably be better equipped to answer that if I knew who the !@#$ Daniel Burnham is

I agree!

Google is a friend in this instance. http://www.pbs.org/programs/make-no-little-plans/

But just yesterday MSN.com had a story saying people that use google have alower iq as a result of using it.

I think MSN is stupid as a result.