Great article by Greg Cosell on defensive alignments

JPS

This is the best article on modern defensive fronts I've read in a while. The multiple front concepts are broken down well and fairly easy to understand, even for me. It makes you think how the Bills might use Mario and even Lawson.

http://sports.yahoo....18715--nfl.html

Fantastic piece; thanks. I always liked Wade and thought was firing was wrong. This certainly doesn't change my opinion.

It's funny how few posters have responded to this thread. With all the 4-3/3-4 panic and "we need a big NT pleas" you would think that an article like this would be of interest and worth a response. These articles are pure gold.

Problem is, with regards to both sides of the ball, we don't know quite what we are going to run yet. The coaches have been pretty quiet.

I'm glad Cosell pays tribute to Joe Collier, Bum Philips' old Oiler defenses, and the Chiefs defenses with Willie Lanier, Buck Buchannan, and Bobby Bell. Those were GREAT defenses that so many later coaches owe a ton of credit towards.

But any discussion of defensive fronts and their evolution is not complete if it doesn't mention Bud Wilkinson. It's safe to say that he is the original architect of the defensive fronts that came later. Both the 43 and 34 fronts use the basic concepts of his old Oklahoma 44 alignments. He was way ahead of his time.

GO BILLS!!!

Nice article. I really think Pettine has a plan for getting after the passer. Bills could be among the best in the league this year. I also think all of the hoopla surrounding all of these read option QBs coming out of college is going to come to a screeching halt. Defenses are getting prepared.

CBS Sports - PFT article.

Edited by Rockinon

Nice article. I really think Pettine has a plan for getting after the passer. Bills could be among the best in the league this year.

Plans are nice but they don't mean much without the personnel to run them. If he brings the same concepts from NY, it's safe to say he's gonna want to run a ton of overload blitzes to the weak side by sending two LBs and a S. This puts a TON of pressure on your corners and other coverage personnel. I'm not convinced we have the personnel necessary, especially at LB to get it done. Lawson is a start but that's all it is. A start.

GO BILLS!!!

Plans are nice but they don't mean much without the personnel to run them. If he brings the same concepts from NY, it's safe to say he's gonna want to run a ton of overload blitzes to the weak side by sending two LBs and a S. This puts a TON of pressure on your corners and other coverage personnel. I'm not convinced we have the personnel necessary, especially at LB to get it done. Lawson is a start but that's all it is. A start.

GO BILLS!!!

That and the obvious lack of revis and cromartie at corner.

Your observations are based on players not on the Bills roster. The scheme is not going to be a clone of what the Jets did. This is the Buffalo Bills and the talent here is entirely different. I don't see us playing the same game at all. We know the defense has some serious talent......just look at the roster. I'm pretty convinced that our new coaches will be putting together a better game plan than Wanny did.

Your observations are based on players not on the Bills roster. The scheme is not going to be a clone of what the Jets did. This is the Buffalo Bills and the talent here is entirely different. I don't see us playing the same game at all. We know the defense has some serious talent......just look at the roster. I'm pretty convinced that our new coaches will be putting together a better game plan than Wanny did.

Good point about the personnel being different. It certainly is. I'm just going by the similarities that Ryan/Pettine brought with them from Baltimore to NY, where the personnel was different as well but they brought in the personnel to run the same schemes. Bringing in Lawson is a sign they want to do the same here, IMO. Re-signing McKelvin, who's a better press corner than zone cover guy is also a sign I think. The next SS and LBs will be very telling as well. The horses up front are already in place though.

GO BILLS!!!

K-9, did you read that article the OP posted? I think it was a very good write-up and that it could shed some light on what our coaches are thinking.

I did and I liked it. I mentioned how I liked Cosell's references to some of the AFL defensive wizards from the 60s and early 70s.

I didn't pick up on anything that would shed light on what the Bills plans might be. We have very good DLine personnel but our LBs and the lack of a proven SS seem not to offer the kind of scheme flexibility that Pettine/Ryan have been known for in the past. What do you think the article suggested about what our coaches might be thinking?

GO BILLS!!!

Read the article! It is helpful to learn about football and...If you want to know anything about defense and if you want to be as smart as me...

GO BILLS!!!

Alright, so this causes the offense to shift and kill to the run. We do not have what it takes. If we use MWilliams as a blitzer then we must rely on ??? to stop the run. I hate to say it, but pressure on the opposite side of MWilliams, I think he can handle the run. So, who do we have with the speed to rush the outside? Could we get Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan? I think he could really work here.

Putting Jarvis or Jones on the weakside. Alright, so that leaves us with MWiliams on the strong side, for fun we will put Troupe in the middle, and have Byrd and Searcy in at safety. We are pretty sure Bradham will be in, and I am fine with tweaking him him as an OLB43/OLB34, putting him in a position to cover the back of of the blitzer. If he reads pass and no one releases on his side or there is only one wideout he must blitz. Of course, Bradham must show blitz and blitz occasionally, either way. Shep in the middle maybe against the strong side guard assures he is balanced and can count on hyrbid, nickel, dime, monster or other guy to pursue to any run play that develops.

Ok, so...

M.Williams - Troupe - Anderson

Lawson - Shephard - Bradham - Jones/Jordan

Gilmore - Searcy - Byrd - McKelvin

If necessary move Lawson around a little bit one or two gaps.

This puts A LOT on MWilliams, because he has to contain his edge and keep Lawson from getting lost in the wash or contacted. We would hope that Gilmore is sent to the strong side, because he has shown the ability to tackle and against some of the speedier teams it will be very easy to outside option a play right over his butt. This could be what Atlanta attempts to us, what Miami would do if they can get any good speedy back or had Bush back, and this is what NE might have to learn to do with Brady.

K-9, did you read that article the OP posted? I think it was a very good write-up and that it could shed some light on what our coaches are thinking.

You mean like my post?

Great article! Wish more stuff like this was printed. I like learning about the actual game, as opposed to wringing my hands over FA.

Reminds me of this classic article that explained different defenses and focused on Kyle Williams playing NT vs DT: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/1/11/1927873/examining-multiple-defensive-fronts-featuring-kyle-williams

Alright more fun schemes as I wait on my GF to get home...meh, I guess she lives with me now?

Anyway. Lets try to make some strong side blitzes with a dime/nickel/DB heavy unit.

M.Williams - Troupe - Carrington - Jones/Jordan

Bradham - Morrison/Shephard

Gilmore - BScott - A.Williams/Ron Brooks (now listed @ S)

Byrd - Searcy

Speedy Ron Brooks can move to where the ball may be going, and most importantly with 4.3 speed he will get where he needs to be as players come in to the middle. It may not be popular but put him in a zone pass defense covering the middle. Make sure BScott and Brooks can get their hands on anyone releasing, with Scott falling to the strong side flat and making up for the space Gilmore leaves as he covers tight on man. With Byrd playing deep and the action in front of him it will allow him to play off instinct. Searcy must be awake and alert, because he is the only player who is going to stop the run when it comes right up the middle. He seems smart enough, but will have to read the hips of the LB's in front of him to let him know which way the hole is going to open and know where to be.

In a nickel, I will give two options. First one for fun...

Carrington - Troupe - Anderson

M.Williams - Sheppard - Jones/Jordan

Gilmore - Brooks - McKelvin

Searcy - Byrd

MWilliams should not get beat on the edge, He could even play inside the TE with success I believe. Brooks can be swapped with Scott if it is as likely they would run. If we use Carrington to get in there on the QB we can trust the strong side to be strong enough to work...

Another way is Carrington out, MWilliams to DE and then put in Bradham. Bradham moves around, but MWiliams should not go wide, it leaves Bradham too vulnerable.