Great article by Greg Cosell on defensive alignments

JPS

Read the article! It is helpful to learn about football and...If you want to know anything about defense and if you want to be as smart as me...

Alright, so this causes the offense to shift and kill to the run. We do not have what it takes. If we use MWilliams as a blitzer then we must rely on ??? to stop the run. I hate to say it, but pressure on the opposite side of MWilliams, I think he can handle the run. So, who do we have with the speed to rush the outside? Could we get Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan? I think he could really work here.

Putting Jarvis or Jones on the weakside. Alright, so that leaves us with MWiliams on the strong side, for fun we will put Troupe in the middle, and have Byrd and Searcy in at safety. We are pretty sure Bradham will be in, and I am fine with tweaking him him as an OLB43/OLB34, putting him in a position to cover the back of of the blitzer. If he reads pass and no one releases on his side or there is only one wideout he must blitz. Of course, Bradham must show blitz and blitz occasionally, either way. Shep in the middle maybe against the strong side guard assures he is balanced and can count on hyrbid, nickel, dime, monster or other guy to pursue to any run play that develops.

Ok, so...

M.Williams - Troupe - Anderson

Lawson - Shephard - Bradham - Jones/Jordan

Gilmore - Searcy - Byrd - McKelvin

If necessary move Lawson around a little bit one or two gaps.

This puts A LOT on MWilliams, because he has to contain his edge and keep Lawson from getting lost in the wash or contacted. We would hope that Gilmore is sent to the strong side, because he has shown the ability to tackle and against some of the speedier teams it will be very easy to outside option a play right over his butt. This could be what Atlanta attempts to us, what Miami would do if they can get any good speedy back or had Bush back, and this is what NE might have to learn to do with Brady.

You mean like my post?

Dareus and K Williams have to be on the field. I don't like Dareus at DE but Kyle cannot be the one to go there. Mario will have no trouble holding his position and turning the plays inside. He's great at that.

I like Lawson where you have him but but I don't like Shep or Bradham in the middle. Perhaps Bradham on the outside on the weakside. So we need two MLBs as far as I'm concerned.

In the secondary, I see your point about putting Gilmore on the strong side of the alignment but I feel they'd like him to flip-flop according to the opponents' WR matchups.

We just don't have a proven SS at this point. And, if Pettine's history in Baltimore and NY means anything, this is critical to how he attacks both run and pass conventionally and in blitz packages.

I see Anderson being used like he was in NE in '11 but as more of a role player. Heck, if his knee isn't where it's supposed to be, I can see them cutting him.

I LOVE the idea of drafting Jarvis Jones. He would be Pettine's Suggs on our defense and a GREAT compliment to Mario on the opposite side. They'd flip-flop him, too, I would think.

GO BILLS!!!

Dareus and K Williams have to be on the field. I don't like Dareus at DE but Kyle cannot be the one to go there. Mario will have no trouble holding his position and turning the plays inside. He's great at that.

I like Lawson where you have him but but I don't like Shep or Bradham in the middle. Perhaps Bradham on the outside on the weakside. So we need two MLBs as far as I'm concerned.

In the secondary, I see your point about putting Gilmore on the strong side of the alignment but I feel they'd like him to flip-flop according to the opponents' WR matchups.

We just don't have a proven SS at this point. And, if Pettine's history in Baltimore and NY means anything, this is critical to how he attacks both run and pass conventionally and in blitz packages.

I see Anderson being used like he was in NE in '11 but as more of a role player. Heck, if his knee isn't where it's supposed to be, I can see them cutting him.

I LOVE the idea of drafting Jarvis Jones. He would be Pettine's Suggs on our defense and a GREAT compliment to Mario on the opposite side. They'd flip-flop him, too, I would think.

GO BILLS!!!

Bradham would not be inside. Jones may look outside but Bradham is going to be there outside the OG. If anything inside the LT hitting the gap. Making the LT cover either Jones or Bradham. Of course we think the OG must accomodatw an NT at him.

Bradham can meet the carrier if it gets to run. And if we blitz up and twist Bradham of the nose or the NT it will be fun

Then you can still look at a "safety" blitz. Put Lawson somewhere in there and get Ron Brooks little body coming in from somewhere and we might see some pretty cool stuff.

anderson covering the pass coming if off the 3 or starting in 2 to drop off the weakside and switch to a strong side blitz. That'll leave them guessing and slow their first step and the QB read.

I do these schemes at work. I really like using mixtures of players. Bryan Scott on the early 90's Bills. Paul on todays roster...

If you want more threads like this I will take some time this weekend and throw some schemes down.

Another one I like is the 4-4

MWilliams-KWilliams-Dareus-Anderson

Jones-Morrison-Sheppard-Lawson

Gilmore-Byrd-McKelvin

Morrison there to assist the run. Bradham is safe to work the run and Lawson there to play his role as it is likely Anderson goes all in. It would be hard to justify one safety on a unit with weak LB's but against a shirt yardage play or a 2012 Bills type offense dare them to pass and beat you deep.

Against speed, NE...

MWilliams-Dareus-KWilliams- Carrington

Jones - Sheppard - Lawson

McKelvin-Searcy-Byrd-Gilmore

Carrington dropping off to the flat and leaving Lawson for the TE makes Searcy cover under and Byrd on the cap. Jones would have to cover. This is where we need a cover LB. In some cases maybe Begotten for Jones to move more freely and Brooks for Searcy to put speed out there.

One thing is clear: The Bills only have 1 possible 5 technique guy right now in Carrington and they're listing him as DT. So the Bills CAN"T be a straight 3-4 this year, can they?

I assume they're going to end up with a NY Giants (1990) type of 3-4 with Mario somewhere around the TE, Dareus on the 3 inside of him, Carrington playing near the C and _________________being the rush guy. If they don't improve it with a draft pick, my guess is it will be Anderson or Moats. They may have some coverage liabilities there unless the RILB is a speedster. We know Shep is not. I think Lawson lines up over the TE and will rush only when O goes strong left, unless they flip.

This is my application after reading the article anyways. I'd be curious to know what an X's and O's guy thinks the Bills should do based on their personnel.

Great article! Wish more stuff like this was printed. I like learning about the actual game, as opposed to wringing my hands over FA.

Reminds me of this classic article that explained different defenses and focused on Kyle Williams playing NT vs DT: http://www.buffaloru...g-kyle-williams

That's a great article on someone like KW fits. Thanks.

That and the obvious lack of revis and cromartie at corner.

I know I could be committed for saying this, but Leodis really stepped up in the second half of the season in coverage. I could see it, but more importantly, according to Mark Gaughan he didn't give up one significant reception after Aaron Williams went down. Also, Gilmore is obviously very talented and will improve.

I do these schemes at work. I really like using mixtures of players. Bryan Scott on the early 90's Bills. Paul on todays roster...

If you want more threads like this I will take some time this weekend and throw some schemes down.

Another one I like is the 4-4

MWilliams-KWilliams-Dareus-Anderson

Jones-Morrison-Sheppard-Lawson

Gilmore-Byrd-McKelvin

Morrison there to assist the run. Bradham is safe to work the run and Lawson there to play his role as it is likely Anderson goes all in. It would be hard to justify one safety on a unit with weak LB's but against a shirt yardage play or a 2012 Bills type offense dare them to pass and beat you deep.

Against speed, NE...

MWilliams-Dareus-KWilliams- Carrington

Jones - Sheppard - Lawson

McKelvin-Searcy-Byrd-Gilmore

Carrington dropping off to the flat and leaving Lawson for the TE makes Searcy cover under and Byrd on the cap. Jones would have to cover. This is where we need a cover LB. In some cases maybe Begotten for Jones to move more freely and Brooks for Searcy to put speed out there.

I need to read your schemes slower. It's not that they're not well written. It's like reading another language to me and I don't instinctively get what you're saying. I appreciate your posts though. It just takes me a while.

Hey, isn't Morrison gone? And....I'm curious with what you do with current personnel. We may not get that Suggs this year.

Edited by JPS