Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine how anybody could ever question the credentials of an anonymous source on an internet site.

This isn't really a separate rumor. It is CBS Sportsline simply repeating that ProFootballtalk.com is reporting the Bills rumored interest

For NFL news, PFT is as credible a source as there is. While they stick to their rumor mill format they have their own pretty well-credentialed staff and have broken plenty of big stories. Also Florio constantly writes about journalistic ethics (insert gratuitous Bradshaw joke here), particularly with regard to the proper attribution of stories and the proper citing of sources.

Interestingly, when PFT broke the news that Fred Davis was returning to the Redskins, Florio attributed his information to "a source with knowledge of the situation."

Are there any insiders on this board anymore, that could tell us what they think? I posted last night asking about Nevergiveup and it was completely REMOVED.....not moved. What gives? Are we not allowed to ask about him anymore?

To the bolded, he escaped from his cell. Also funny that you asked this question on the heels of this post:

People on here that know my previous posts know that I have sources close with the team. The Bills are in fact very interested in Kolb.

Hey, I'd rather sign Kolb than trade for Flynn. It wouldn't cost us a draft pick for one thing and he'd be a helluva lot cheaper for another.

And thirdly a fair amount of people are assuming that Flynn is better than Kolb.

But no one really knows if that's true.

Based on those three factors, Kolb is the smart play.

So, suppose the Bills do sign Kolb. Does that mean no QB in the first round? No Geno Smith, even if he is available at #8? Charlie Casserly made an interesting point on NFLN tonight...if the Bills don't pick a QB with their first pick, they could be in a very bad spot in round #2 (10th pick) to get one of the top 5 prospects (which, according to the NFLN experts, includes Nassib).

Hey, I'd rather sign Kolb than trade for Flynn. It wouldn't cost us a draft pick for one thing and he'd be a helluva lot cheaper for another.

And thirdly a fair amount of people are assuming that Flynn is better than Kolb.

Doesn't it seem, more and more, with all the analysis they do of players, NFL personel guys are wrong more than they are right these days?

So, suppose the Bills do sign Kolb. Does that mean no QB in the first round? No Geno Smith, even if he is available at #8? Charlie Casserly made an interesting point on NFLN tonight...if the Bills don't pick a QB with their first pick, they could be in a very bad spot in round #2 (10th pick) to get one of the top 5 prospects (which, according to the NFLN experts, includes Nassib).

Doesn't it seem, more and more, with all the analysis they do of players, NFL personel guys are wrong more than they are right these days?

This reminds me of that recent poster here who was going crazy every time someone referred to the draft as a "crapshoot."

But yes, player evaluation is often an inexact science. Especially with quarterbacks who haven't played too much or who played on lousy teams.

I don't know that Flynn is better than Kolb. All we have is one incredible Week 17 game against a dreadful Lions pass defense, and one season at LSU where he was nothing special.

But, I know that you really don't want Kolb as your starting QB.

Absolutely agree and in answer to Buftex's question, I would personally hope that a Kolb signing would not change any draft plans the Bills have for a quarterback.

kolb is one of the few qb signings that would make sense

bills have obviously gone all in on a rookie pick at qb. they will give that pick every chance to start. already got their veteran backup/emergency starter in tjax. now the only advantageous add is a young disappointment that still has a chance to rebound. kolb appears to be that guy

I don't know that Flynn is better than Kolb. All we have is one incredible Week 17 game against a dreadful Lions pass defense, and one season at LSU where he was nothing special.

But, I know that you really don't want Kolb as your starting QB.

My most recent memory of Kolb was that dreadful game the Bills won over the Cardianls this past season. I was pretty down on Fitzpatrick at that point, but remember thinking, "okay, Fitz might not be the worst starting QB in the league". I know, the Cardinals don't have a ton of talent, but neither do the Bills at this point.

This reminds me of that recent poster here who was going crazy every time someone referred to the draft as a "crapshoot."

But yes, player evaluation is often an inexact science. Especially with quarterbacks who haven't played too much or who played on lousy teams.

Absolutely agree and in answer to Buftex's question, I would personally hope that a Kolb signing would not change any draft plans the Bills have for a quarterback.

I guess, perhaps, because players change teams a lot more now than they did in the "good old days", but how many times in recent years have we seen NFL teams go "all in" to obtain a guy (QB), only to be very off in their assessments?

Edited by Buftex

I guess, perhaps, because players change teams a lot more now than they did in the "good old days", but how many times in recent years have we seen NFL teams go "all in" to obtain a guy (QB), only to be very off in their assessments?

A lot of crazy personnel decisions seem to revolve around quarterbacks.

Look at Romo's contract extension with Dallas.

My first reaction to that news was that Jerry Jones had finally lost his mind.

My most recent memory of Kolb was that dreadful game the Bills won over the Cardianls this past season. I was pretty down on Fitzpatrick at that point, but remember thinking, "okay, Fitz might not be the worst starting QB in the league". I know, the Cardinals don't have a ton of talent, but neither do the Bills at this point.

I don't wanna be that guy that makes excuses for Kolb, but to be fair, that Cardinals O-line has got to be the WORST line I have ever witnessed on an NFL team in my life. The worst...

That said, I don't mind a Kolb signing as long as we stick to drafting a QB with one of our 1st two picks.

Also....um....disagree.

(from the last 25 drafts)

I think the original assertion was "any QB drafted at #41 is not worth picking". Perhaps that begs the question what does "worth picking" mean to you?

I don't see a QB on that list who I would describe as elite, but as others have said, the QB can't do it all - there are some QB on that list who are decent NFL starters and others who have shown flashes. A lower percentage than 1st round QB, no doubt, but not zero.

I think the original assertion was "any QB drafted at #41 is not worth picking". Perhaps that begs the question what does "worth picking" mean to you?

I don't see a QB on that list who I would describe as elite, but as others have said, the QB can't do it all - there are some QB on that list who are decent NFL starters and others who have shown flashes. A lower percentage than 1st round QB, no doubt, but not zero.

I even linked directly from my quote......which I'll do again here.

Any QB who manages to fall to the #41 pick is most likely not worth picking.

.....and any QB on that list would not be who one would be looking for as a long term answer at the QB position.

Edited by Dibs

Sign him. Buddy asleep? Russ is cheap! Im so done with this team! DOOMED!!!

Methinks Bruce Arians has learned the value of waiting for the right QB---i.e. not reaching for one this year if you can avoid it. He had a front row seat for the Suck for Luck campaign--17 weeks of misery for 10+ years of success...which reminds...

BA was actually with the Steelers during the "suck for Luck" campaign. I'd take Kolb. We need more QB competition. Watch Corp come out as the top QB and make the Pro Bowl. Stranger things have happened.

Edited by RyanC883

The Raiders might be coming to their senses:

http://profootballta...terest-in-kolb/

Adam Caplan reported that the Raiders have discussed signing Kolb, the free agent quarterback who was cut by the Cardinals this month.

The issue may be that the Raiders, who have just $2.8 million in cap space, will want Flynn to restructure his contract as part of a trade from the Seahawks. If Flynn refuses, the Raiders may try to get Kolb to sign a deal that will cost less on their salary cap in 2013 than Flynn would cost under his current contract. Which doesn’t exactly instill a lot of confidence in Raiders fans about the wisdom of giving up more draft picks for Flynn.

Which may mean signing Kolb is a better move.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I even linked directly from my quote......which I'll do again here.

.....and any QB on that list would not be who one would be looking for as a long term answer at the QB position.

Dibs, I'm afraid I think that simply begs the question again, not answers it. What do you mean by "long term answer"? Are you talking about the 2nd coming of a Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees - a top 5 QB in the league for a decade?

There aren't very many of them at any draft position. It looks like you extended out of the 1st round to #36 just to include some QB who made it from being drafted in the 2nd, and then cherry-picked out a few other late round gems like Wilson and Schaub who argue against your point. You include Garrard - a guy who stuck 8 yrs with his 1st team, went to the playoffs and the probowl, amassed an overall winning record on a generally sucky team, and has a very low career mistake percentage (% INT etc) - he's not "worth having"? Marc Bulger is another guy who stuck in the league 8 years, went to playoffs and probowl twice, ended his career getting the sh** kicked out of him on a sucky team with no OL and still had some decent stats. He's not worth having? I could go on - Peete didn't stick in the league to age 38 'cuz there was nothing to him and he wasn't worth having.

Two points:

1) A solid NFL starting QB is worth having. One can always go after improvements in the following draft.

2) The list of drafted QB who don't become top-5 NFL QB (or even long term answers for their team) is longer than the list of those who do, at any draft position, even the top 36 picks.

Signed,

Brandon Weeden

Jake Locker

Blaine Gabbert

Sam Bradford

Tim Tebow

Mark Sanchez

JaMarcus Russell

Brady Quinn

Kevin Kolb

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Alex Smith

Jason Campbell

J.P. Losman

Byron Leftwich

Kyle Boller

Rex Grossman

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Patrick Ramsey

Michael Vick

Chad Pennington

Tim Couch

Donovan McNabb

Akili Smith

Daunte Culpepper

Cade McNown

Ryan Leaf

Jim Druckenmiller

Steve McNair

Kerry Collins

Heath Shuler

Trent Dilfer

Rick Mirer

David Klingler

Tommy Maddox

Dan McGwire

Todd Marinovich

Browning Nagle

Jeff George

Andre Ware

Mike Elkins

(and I even took off some names others would arguably leave on)

Edited by Hopeful