Amendola..Welker clone Pats new go to guy

If nothing else, this added a great story line for the upcoming season. I really can't stand Welker personally (that "F-You! You F-ing Suck!" play against the Colts a few years ago, as well as his general smarminess stand out), but even I would like to see him stick it to the Cheats* and Belicheat* next year, as I think they dissed him big time with that joke of an offer. What I'm hoping is that by the time Brady gets on the same page with little Danny, he'll be another year or two older and closer to retirement.

Plus, I heard earlier that they were planning on dumping an aging (33? 34?) Brandon Lloyd--is that still the plan? If so, they're going to need at least one more decent wideout, since among the 3 Glass Bros., you can count on at least one being out for a while next year.....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I love how the pats in-your-faced welker

Jesus Christ, Joe...every time I read one of your posts I'm hoping, "maybe this is the day he doesn't post something idiotic," and then you disappoint as usual. If anyone "in-your-faced" anyone here, it was Welker doing it to the Pats*. Nobody -- I repeat nobody -- believes the Pats* just got better by replacing Welker with Amendola.

Oh, and by the way -- Welker just went from one HOF QB to another. Yeah, the Pats* really showed him.

Edited by eball

That offense last year may have been the best I have ever seen.

???

surely you jest?

Theoretically that sounds better but I just can't even imagine them playing better and more efficiently than they did.

this is the epitome of a poster that holds new england in high esteem based only on what they've seen them do against the bills.

i think the patriots decade long dominance of us is directly correlated with 90% of posters on this board thinking they are "unbeatable," and running "the best offense i have ever seen."

the best offense I have ever seen was the rams from 2000-2002.

tom brady is 36 years old, just lost his favorite target, has no running back, and GRONK is injury prone--counting on him to stay on the field with hernandez? unlikely. also, they have no defense. also, they havent won a super bowl in almost a decade. also, the ravens own them.

Welkers best years are behind him and pats know it. Plus he was a bit of a malconent which pats have little tolerance for. Good move for them, they will continue to thrive with or without him. Can't help but be impressed how Kraft manages that team.

As Brady goes, so goes the team. Once he's done, and that's within the next few years, Belichick is likely out with him.

Jesus Christ, Joe...every time I read one of your posts I'm hoping, "maybe this is the day he doesn't post something idiotic," and then you disappoint as usual. If anyone "in-your-faced" anyone here, it was Welker doing it to the Pats*. Nobody -- I repeat nobody -- believes the Pats* just got better by replacing Welker with Amendola.

Oh, and by the way -- Welker just went from one HOF QB to another. Yeah, the Pats* really showed him.

I'm sure that if the Pats had it to do over again, they'd have given Welker the 2-year $6M deal instead of panicking and giving injury-prone Amendola a 5-year $31M deal. Especially since Welker went to the Broncos.

Amendola was undrafted in 2008, went to cowboys practice squad then eagles before claimed by rams. I can't imagine paying him $6 million a year. I must be missing something.

I do not see it either. Not fast, does not score alot, low YPC. Not near the game breaker Welker has been and still is. Stupid move by the Pats.

I do not see it either. Not fast, does not score alot, low YPC. Not near the game breaker Welker has been and still is. Stupid move by the Pats.

All that on a crappy team where he was the only legit receiving option. You really dont think his #'s will improve as a Pat?

Look @ Welker for example: last year w/ dolphins 67 receptions, 687 yards, 1 TD. Next season w/ pats: 112, 1,175, 8

my thoughts exactly about welker not joe the 6 pack, ........Welker definetly "faced" the pats is what i took out of it as well.

my thoughts exactly about welker not joe the 6 pack, ........Welker definetly "faced" the pats is what i took out of it as well.

And what I didn't even add to the first post, is that Welker also went to a true football-crazy town with a better defense! Between Welker and the Pats* there is one clear winner here, and it ain't close. Joe's out to lunch as always.

Just curious, but why do I keep hearing people in this thread refer to Welker and Amendola as being "clones" and the same height. It makes me think that people haven't seen Amendola play. He looks nothing like Welker on the field. He is a full two inches taller, can line up outside and plays a different type of game. The bottom line, regardless, is that if Amendola stays healthy the Pats have found a great receiver.

Amendola was undrafted in 2008, went to cowboys practice squad then eagles before claimed by rams. I can't imagine paying him $6 million a year. I must be missing something.

You're missing the fact that where you get drafted/not drafted has very little to do with how much money you get five years later. He led the league in all purpose yards in 2010 while catching 85 balls and has show flashes of greatness on the field. Don't forget, Wes Welker was also undrafted. Can you imagine paying him 6mil a year?

???

surely you jest?

this is the epitome of a poster that holds new england in high esteem based only on what they've seen them do against the bills.

i think the patriots decade long dominance of us is directly correlated with 90% of posters on this board thinking they are "unbeatable," and running "the best offense i have ever seen."

tom brady is 36 years old, just lost his favorite target, has no running back, and GRONK is injury prone--counting on him to stay on the field with hernandez? unlikely. also, they have no defense. also, they havent won a super bowl in almost a decade. also, the ravens own them.

Glad they did not get Mendenhall. That would have scared me more than replacing Welker with Welker-light. I think they will be more or less the same on offense as last year.

Interestingly, both players went to Texas Tech.

Amendola's 40 time: 4.58.

Welker's 40 time: 4.65.

So, he's faster, younger, and bigger, and he came from the college system as Welker. Like Welker, he played for a bad team before joining the Pats and put up similar numbers to Welker. Plus the NE OC is intimately familiar with what he can do.

To me, it looks like a very smart re-load provided Amendola can stay healthy. (And bear in mind that Welker isn't immune to injury, having torn an ACL.)

So, he's faster, younger, and bigger, and he came from the college system as Welker. Like Welker, he played for a bad team before joining the Pats and put up similar numbers to Welker. Plus the NE OC is intimately familiar with what he can do.

To me, it looks like a very smart re-load provided Amendola can stay healthy. (And bear in mind that Welker isn't immune to injury, having torn an ACL.)

Dave, tell me the Pats* and Brady feel like they just got better. Really, tell me that. I know you can't.

???

surely you jest?

Last year the Patriots scored 557 points. The most the Rams scored was 540. The Pats gave the ball away 16 times, once a game. The Rams 35, two a game.

Like I said, the Patriots offense last year may have been the best I have ever seen.

Last year the Patriots scored 557 points. The most the Rams scored was 540. The Pats gave the ball away 16 times, once a game. The Rams 35, two a game.

Like I said, the Patriots offense last year may have been the best I have ever seen.

Just don't say "wow" around teddy bruschi to describe it

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Dave, tell me the Pats* and Brady feel like they just got better. Really, tell me that. I know you can't.

I'd ask Belichik and McDaniel before I ask Brady or a sportswriter. I don't know what the coaches would say. They did offer more money to Amendola than they offered to Welker, so I suspect they like him more. I could be wrong.

Just curious, but why do I keep hearing people in this thread refer to Welker and Amendola as being "clones" and the same height. It makes me think that people haven't seen Amendola play. He looks nothing like Welker on the field. He is a full two inches taller, can line up outside and plays a different type of game. The bottom line, regardless, is that if Amendola stays healthy the Pats have found a great receiver.

Amendola is 2" taller but also just 3# heavier. Welker is more compact, which could account for his far better durability versus Amendola's. As for speed, Welker's 4.65 at his pro day was with him weighing 195#, and he's now 10# lighter/faster/quicker. He also beat Amendola significantly in the 20-yard short shuttle which tests quickness. Lastly, having familiarity with McDaniels means about as much as it did for Lloyd, who is rumored to be getting cut.

Health will be the key. Amendola hasn't proven he can stay healthy. If he can, the Pats will have a good player for the next 2-3 years before Brady declines.

I'd ask Belichik and McDaniel before I ask Brady or a sportswriter. I don't know what the coaches would say. They did offer more money to Amendola than they offered to Welker, so I suspect they like him more. I could be wrong.

Panic move? Looks like it. No sooner had Welker been signed away when Amendola got slightly more than the All-Pro he's replacing.