Amendola..Welker clone Pats new go to guy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amendola was with current Pats OC McDaniels back with the Rams so I would imagine the Pats have a very good idea of how well Amendola can play. Amendola knows the Pats offense so the transition shouldn't be problemtic. If Amendola can stay healthy my guess is he'll thrive with Brady as his QB.

Amendola isn't there to replace Welker. He is there to fill a roster spot. As mentioned, they will shift the focus of their offense.

You don't pay $31m to a slot WR who looks and plays and is the same size as your former slot WR who was the 3rd-4th most important player on your offense to just "fill a roster spot."

Amendola was with current Pats OC McDaniels back with the Rams so I would imagine the Pats have a very good idea of how well Amendola can play. Amendola knows the Pats offense so the transition shouldn't be problemtic. If Amendola can stay healthy my guess is he'll thrive with Brady as his QB.

Yep. I'm sure he'll thrive. He just won't likely match the production of Welker or last very long if he does. Brady is incredibly accurate on short passes, but part of the downside of that is his receivers take a pounding on those crossing patterns into tight windows. And they score so much and move the ball so much and get so many first downs that those guys take an extra helping of beatdown.

You don't pay $31m to a slot WR who looks and plays and is the same size as your former slot WR who was the 3rd-4th most important player on your offense to just "fill a roster spot."

You're taking 'fill a roster spot' as something derogatory to his abilities. He is not there replace Welker's production. He's there to be a receiver in a role they have planned for him. It may be similar to the role Welker played, but I have a hard time swallowing that they expect him to come in and be a copy of Welker.

Yep. I'm sure he'll thrive. He just won't likely match the production of Welker or last very long if he does. Brady is incredibly accurate on short passes, but part of the downside of that is his receivers take a pounding on those crossing patterns into tight windows. And they score so much and move the ball so much and get so many first downs that those guys take an extra helping of beatdown.

Well, one thing Welker has never done that Amendola has done and that is lead the league in all purpose yards.

You're taking 'fill a roster spot' as something derogatory to his abilities.

Maybe because "fill a roster spot" is a derogatory term? ;)

I doubt they expect him to do what Welker did, too, because he probably can't, and I don't know of anyone who could. But they expect him to be the 3rd or 4th most important player in that offense, behind Brady and Gronk and maybe a lineman like Mankins, or they wouldn't have paid him that much money.

Well, one thing Welker has never done that Amendola has done and that is lead the league in all purpose yards.

2/3 of which came on kick returns? I hope they use him on KR. That will send him to the sidelines or IR that much quicker.

The same thing was said about Brandon Lloyd.

With the change in KO rules, that negates that aspect. And I doubt they have him return punts at $6M/year.

No need to freak out. He is not as good as Welker, and Welker and Brady had chemistry based on years of playing with each other. This is an over payment in my mind. Rather them overpay Amendola than overpay Welker. Glad he is out of our division! And what's up w/ everyone hoping Amendola gets hurt....kind of sick. I just hope we beat him.

Edited by RyanC883

No need to freak out. He is not as good as Welker, and Welker and Brady had chemistry based on years of playing with each other. This is an over payment in my mind. Rather them overpay Amendola than overpay Welker. Glad he is out of our division!

Ultimately, the question is, as a Bills fan, do you want to play against the Patriots with Wes Welker or with Danny Amendola, and I would definitely say with Amendola. And would you think the Patriots over the season will be better with WW or DA considering possible injury versus production and again, I would definitely say I'd rather they have Amendola than Welker.

Injured amendola yea. Healthy amendola scares me for the record. They are both super shifty WR's from Texas tech who have all my respect.

Amendolas 12 catch first half game this year was no fluke as bob from stl said earlier.

Welker is scarier but we ain't out if the danger zone yet.

Wait until you see it with Gronk and Hernandez healthy and on the field for more than just 1 game together.

Theoretically that sounds better but I just can't even imagine them playing better and more efficiently than they did. I really do think Welker is a big loss. They may lose a lineman or two. I'm sure they will be great, and probably still better than the Broncos. But it's impossible to say right now how it will all play out.

Edited by Kelly the Dog