Is there anyone here NOT happy with Mularkey

Kelly the Dog

Is there anyone here that just doesn't like the guy? Doesn't like the way he has handled things? Doesn't like what he says or how he carries himself? Doesn't like the decisions he has made so far? Does like how he has handled players or game decisions? Doesn't like the coaching staff he has assembled? Doesn't think he has much chance to succeed as a head coach in this league? Doesn't like the way he ran his first camp? What, if anything, does anyone have a problem with that was under his control?

I don't. So far...

I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, it matters NADA unless he wins games. He is nothing now because he hasn't proven one bloody thing. He has won 17 less games that GW has as coach of the Bills or head coach of anything. Let's see how he does in the real games.... yada, yada, yada... but this guy has the look and feel and aura and style of a successful head coach in this league. We may have a winner on our hands.

Is there anyone here that just doesn't like the guy? Doesn't like the way he has handled things? Doesn't like what he says or how he carries himself? Doesn't like the decisions he has made so far? Does like how he has handled players or game decisions? Doesn't like the coaching staff he has assembled? Doesn't think he has much chance to succeed as a head coach in this league? Doesn't like the way he ran his first camp? What, if anything, does anyone have a problem with that was under his control?

I don't. So far...

I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, it matters NADA unless he wins games. He is nothing now because he hasn't proven one bloody thing. He has won 17 less games that GW has as coach of the Bills or head coach of anything. Let's see how he does in the real games.... yada, yada, yada... but this guy has the look and feel and aura and style of a successful head coach in this league. We may have a winner on our hands.

14786[/snapback]

Yeah, but he's also lost 31 fewer times. Gotta keep perspective. :lol:

In general I really like eveything I've seen and heard from the guy. He looks comfortable in his position. He is honest and doesn't mince words. He has the player's respect already. He understands the game and played the game himself.

If I was to get picky I might admit just a little aprehension I have about his fondness for trick plays. I have some good knowledgeable Steeler fan friends who warned about this. They say things like "you'll love the guy, right up until that double reverse call on the 9th play of a drive where you've been consistently pounding the ball down field", which of course we've already seen....

He is way ahead of what I thought about Greg Williams at a similar point. I didn't like the stupid tactics like airhorns at camp to wake up players, his lack of experience in choosing assistant coaches and his overall smug, uncoachlike looks.

In general I really like eveything I've seen and heard from the guy. He looks comfortable in his position. He is honest and doesn't mince words. He has the player's respect already. He understands the game and played the game himself.

If I was to get picky I might admit just a little aprehension I have about his fondness for trick plays. I have some good knowledgeable Steeler fan friends who warned about this. They say things like "you'll love the guy, right up until that double reverse call on the 9th play of a drive where you've been consistently pounding the ball down field", which of course we've already seen....

14830[/snapback]

To be pickier, MM also has Sam Wyche with him, who he probably got his gadget play tendencies from in the first place (see: QB/Coach argument play). This could get ugly, considering the Williams/Gilbride history surrounding the HB red-zone pass last year in Miami. I also remember Gregg commenting on how he installs a 'gadget package' every week before games. Just listening to GW talk like that made me cringe.

Other than that, I was against Mularkey's hiring last year. There were other coaches that appeared to be better, and I did buy into the whole "Donahoe's buddy" thing. So far, I have to say I was wrong. I think Mularkey could end up being something.

I thought MM was a good hire if for nothing else other than he was an offensive coordinator. But what I have seen so far I can't help but like even better. I have a huge Steelers fan in the office here and she says that most were sorry to see him leave and we got a helluva coach. I hope it all works out.

Guest Jerry Sullivan

He's a fraud. He and TD. They'll never amount to anything. This is a 2 win team for the next 10 years.

Now lets get back to what's important . Me talking about breaking 100 in golf.

What was the initial reactions to GW when he was hired?  I don't know - I'm asking.

14942[/snapback]

I think most people reacted immediately with "Who??!!", since TD had interviewed Marvin Lewis and John Fox who were figured to have the inside track. Apparently GW interviewed well and that won him the job. Still, I think most people were willing to wait and see. Then he began his first training camp with the airhorns and a level of arrogance unbecoming of a rookie head coach. I don't think he could ever fully recover from that first impression.

What was the initial reactions to GW when he was hired?  I don't know - I'm asking.

14942[/snapback]

all i remember was reading about how "organized" GW was, and how he had his notebooks and lists of assistant coaches he was ready to hire. i thought, "wow...this guy is ready to be a coach."

then i heard him speak to the media the first time and was underwhelmed. i tried to keep a positive outlook but never trusted his decisions. it was obvious he got his team to play hard in 2001, but those were a bunch of young guys who were going to play their asses off for anyone.

i'm generally optimistic, but there was always something "nagging" at me about GW...i don't have that feeling after listening to mularkey and watching what he has done so far.

my $.02...

It simply strikes me as way to early to draw any rational or reasonable conclusions. By all means we;re free to draw any conclusions we want rational or otherwise> I just think that to the extent these conclusions prove to be right it is probably more coincidence that will cause this than any wonderful football acumen that the predictor that Mularkey sucks will likely claim.

Reality has yet to happen regarding the results of off-season moves and dumb luck, the way the odd-shaped ball happens to bounce, and the too rndom and inconsistent calls of the refs will determine a lot of the results of MM's move and style.

To me the most reasonable judgments are those whether he has done the things to put the players in the best position they can be in tot take advanatage of lucky breaks and to weather the slings and arrows of unlucky breaks.

To me those factors are:

D- I thought they will be in good shape if MM oversaw keeping them the way they were for the most part as players, oversaw the resigning of Gray to deal with the loss of LeBeau, made the pass rush better through player acquisition or getting more out of Kelsay/Denny.

Answer to date: For the most part mission accomplished. the jury remains out on the pass rush, but the acquisition of Glidon and the work shown by Kelsay and Denny provides good hope here.

O- Retool the scheme, improve the OL, break in new threats, have a good plan B for Bledsoe in case last year;s production is the rule rather than the aberration.

Answer to date: Likewise here, so far so good. Injuries to date have set us back in having a plan B for Bledsoe and made it more important that plan A (run the ball and run it again, make Bledsoe throw the damn ball and they have used the 4 second clock not having Tuna's personality for Belicheck's brain) work for us. JMac is not a miracle worker, but even being adequate will be a big improvement by the OL so we'll see.

ST- Keep improving the performance of players. Solidity is more important than radical scheme changes.

Answer to date: Jury is way out on this one after a good ST performance in the 2nd game and a really stinky one in the last game. Improvement in Lindell results is a pleasant occurence but jury is way out on Bobby April.

General demeanor: Who cares what the judgment is here as winning soothes all ills.

Answer to date: Seems to be a players coach which ain't a bad thing in the modern league where players need and actually demand discipline. However, you must get the players permission to discipline them as the NFLPA and NFL are partners. My way or the highway styles like Coughlin can give some short-term benefit while the new HC has all the power, but eventually you lose the players and thus the team. There is a lot to dislike about any public figure and the only guarantee is that he will lose his job and likely be fired. Just win baby is the answer to solving or at least paving over the problems and limitations an HC will surely have.

The only real problem I have so far is nothing more than an unsubstantiated suspicion.

I know he had to be pissed after the Tennessee scrimmage and that he was going to ride the boys hard about the penalties. But I thought he had to be careful about when he did it and I'm not sure he was. The first practice after a game can be a dangerous time because 1) tired muscles are more prone to injury and 2) the boys probably had a bit of a bender Sat night after the game which means both tempers and attention can be short on Monday morn.

Well if I recall correctly, Monday morn was when JP was injured while they were running a full-speed 2minute drill, and I'm thinking that somebody else also got dinged at that practice.

I'm not saying any injuries are Coach's fault, but I wonder if Mularkey's temper didn't get the best of him and maybe he had the boys grinding a little more than they should have been a day earlier than they should have been.

Cya

14942[/snapback]

As much as people want to say to the contrary, the "general" feeling on the baord with GW was everyone like him. Of course not all the same people are around now that were around then, so the new members may have actually had a different opinion.

Everyone pretty much trusted TD's decision to hire GW over all of the other candidates. When GW spoke at press conferences saying we were going to the playoffs, most people loved it. You have to remember we were coming off a season where Wade Phillips said that the Jets and Bills (who had the same record) had basically no chance of making the playoffs...The Bills of course didn't, and the Jets did. Most people were ready for a cocky coach.

The airhorn? Other than one or two people I remember everyone liking it. The players needed more dicipline! About time somebody came in here and whipped these boys into shape. Maybe we will finally see the end of all those stupid penalties!

Looking back on it, it was of course all stupid! Not only did we not have the talent to back up GW's words, he wasn't the coach that was going to get us there. The air horn and tough talk all turned out to be a waste of time!

Pretty much doesn't matter what MM does now. You can like em, hate em, or really not care either way. If he takes us to the playoffs and beyond he will be a genious. If we end up 8-8 or below again he will be shunned.

Anyone who has seen Bills vs. Denver - Sounds of the Game would probably tell you that the guy is not only a class act, but seemingly a very good coach with a very good reputation. Other players seem to have loved playing for him, and our players respond to him very well. We may not win the superbowl, but I think he's a coach we can all be proud of.