The Bills do not have a need at DT?

Beerball

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on roles expected. Dareus might be the only body big enough for a real NT in the 34

Well, he played a hell of a lot better as the nt than he he as a 4-3 dt. Though there are other factors surrounding his play than scheme.

Is Spencer johnson still on the roster? He seems like serviceable depth

I think it all depends on what type of defense the Bills want to run. I'm actually frustrated, at times, trying to put the pieces together in our front seven - especially on the d-line - when I don't know what Pettine wants to put together. Traditionally, I see the value of a 3-4 defense when the front 3 linemen can just about handle the run on their own. It frees up the other 8 players for blitzing and coverage. In that type of 3-4, I usually see a big, massive bodied nose tackle, as ideal. He's gonna clog up the middle of the offensive line. The DE's are big and athletic enough to both stop the run and get penetration. I would actually, traditionally, put Mario Williams in that role, or Carrington - he's got an ideal body type for that role. But, when you swith Buffalo to a 3-4 you have Kyle Williams as either an undersized NT or a mis-fit DE.

My questions are: What position will Mario Williams be playing? Where will Dareus and Kyle be lining up? Are we going to go for a big, true NT and split Dareus and Kyle out to End, and push Mario to OLB? I don't know - I think I'd rather see Klye, Dareus, and Mario lining up. Can Dareus hold his own in the middle in the run game? We'll see, I guess. I think there's enough talent already to think if they play hard for Pettine they'll probably be a decent defense no matter where exactly they're lining up.

I think it all depends on what type of defense the Bills want to run. I'm actually frustrated, at times, trying to put the pieces together in our front seven - especially on the d-line - when I don't know what Pettine wants to put together. Traditionally, I see the value of a 3-4 defense when the front 3 linemen can just about handle the run on their own. It frees up the other 8 players for blitzing and coverage. In that type of 3-4, I usually see a big, massive bodied nose tackle, as ideal. He's gonna clog up the middle of the offensive line. The DE's are big and athletic enough to both stop the run and get penetration. I would actually, traditionally, put Mario Williams in that role, or Carrington - he's got an ideal body type for that role. But, when you swith Buffalo to a 3-4 you have Kyle Williams as either an undersized NT or a mis-fit DE.

My questions are: What position will Mario Williams be playing? Where will Dareus and Kyle be lining up? Are we going to go for a big, true NT and split Dareus and Kyle out to End, and push Mario to OLB? I don't know - I think I'd rather see Klye, Dareus, and Mario lining up. Can Dareus hold his own in the middle in the run game? We'll see, I guess. I think there's enough talent already to think if they play hard for Pettine they'll probably be a decent defense no matter where exactly they're lining up.

i'm kinda hoping that pettine will be using multiple personel groupings along with his multiple fronts. it would be nice to see the staff try to design different defences for different situations, moving some of these peices around to gain the most effective combinations.

If Kyle Willimas or Darues goes down we don't have anyone to replace them. Besides, I'm not sure these two are as good as everyone seems to think they are.

Our RUN DEFENSE is BAD.......real BAD!

Edited by Frez

No... Bills don't have a need at dt if you're talking the 4-3. However, they have a gaping hole at nose tackle and the 3-4 will be a flop without a bonafide NT. The bills went down that road 3 years ago when the 3-4 flopped. The success of the Jets defense was predicated on kris jenkins the first couple years .... he could not be moved or controlled.... and then the past couple years pouha. Bills need a 330 lb. Nt that is bonafide... period.

In free agency the only bonafide one out there that has game left in the tank is sopoaga... and they better grab him quickly and then supplement that with Brandon Williams in the draft.

Depends on roles expected. Dareus might be the only body big enough for a real NT in the 34

Dareus is not a nt, period. He sucked last year because he's carrying 15 lbs more than his ideal playing wt... plus he's better suite as a 3-4 de... which is what he was drafted for.

Lets hope offenses are frustrated trying to figure it out too. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rockinon

The only people that still harp on the stale "true 3-4 NT" argument are the ones that don't understand the difference between 2-gap /1-gap schemes. Almost nobody plays the zero technique anymore for a reason. Few of todays players can do it and stay healthy enough to make it to a proper FA contract while taking on a double teams 50 to 60 times a game. These guys are too rare to base a scheme around unless you get really lucky in the draft. Where are these magical behemoths to man the middle against todays monster O-lines?

Don't forget the annual Troupe watch. Getting him back is like getting an extra draft pick.

At this point Troupe has been like four draft picks for us. That has to be one of the best draft values of all time!

The only people that still harp on the stale "true 3-4 NT" argument are the ones that don't understand the difference between 2-gap /1-gap schemes. Almost nobody plays the zero technique anymore for a reason. Few of todays players can do it and stay healthy enough to make it to a proper FA contract while taking on a double teams 50 to 60 times a game. These guys are too rare to base a scheme around unless you get really lucky in the draft. Where are these magical behemoths to man the middle against todays monster O-lines?

You both argue against a true 34 NT and explain why thy are so valuable. While we have other glaring holes, of course we could use a player that could play that role. I think we can cover up by changing our defensive fronts and schemes a lot, but adding that tool would give us even more flexibility.

(sidenote: We haven't even acquired a new NT, and I'm already calling him a tool!)