Troy Smith - QB - Ohio State

http://buckeyextra.d...y----smith.html

I heard in passing on NFL Network that Troy Smith looked impressive at the OSU Pro Day. They even said they believe a team will sign him.

With Matt Moore re-signing with Miami, the FA crop is thinner than ever. He was never a complete bust in the NFL - he was just sort of lost in the shuffle of Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick's rise.

Would he be worth a shot with T-Jack and whomever we draft (assuming Fitz is gone)?

I heard in passing on NFL Network that Troy Smith looked impressive at the OSU Pro Day. They even said they believe a team will sign him. (...)

Would he be worth a shot with T-Jack and whomever we draft (assuming Fitz is gone)?

As some may note I savor and seek out "underappreciated QBs". I thought Troy Smith had a chance to break through when he went to SF and a very bad-playing Alex Smith lost his starting job to Troy Smith midway through the season, but Troy Smith handed it back. Ponder that fact.

From the body of NFL work he's shown he's a significant downgrade from TJax - another "almost as many INTs as TDs" guy with a lifetime completion percentage ~7% lower than TJax, ~52%. In SF it was just over 50%. In his one year in Seattle, TJax completed >60%. Ponder that difference.

It wouldn't surprise me if a team signed him, simply because of how slim the FA QB pickin's seem to be and 'cuz maybe he looks good in red shirts and shorts.

So IMO, no, not worth a look, and yes, there is something wrong with inviting everyone and his cousin Murgatroyd to training camp. Training camp time is limited. Scouts time is limited. The Coaches time is limited. It divides attention and dilutes the number of snaps your potential starters can rack.

I've heard of him.

Yes, and I had forgotten him. But I guess there's no former failed QB so irrelevant that the Bills shouldn't have him in to "kick the tires". Cause after all, you never know when several years of performance history are going to be reversed in two weeks of training camp.

I wonder if you guys would have signed Kurt Warner?

And the connection there is? They are both from states spelled with 4 letters?

So the take-away from this thread is that if Troy Smith can reduce his mistakes by 75% and buy a can of ability to carry an NFL team without much of a supporting cast at Wegmans, he might be an average starter in Buffalo.

I heard in passing on NFL Network that Troy Smith looked impressive at the OSU Pro Day. They even said they believe a team will sign him.

With Matt Moore re-signing with Miami, the FA crop is thinner than ever. He was never a complete bust in the NFL - he was just sort of lost in the shuffle of Joe Flacco, Alex Smith, and Colin Kaepernick's rise.

omg, again!

I wonder if you guys would have signed Kurt Warner?

not a chance, he would have been destroyed on here by week one, ran out of town, then everyone would have turned on the front office for letting him go when he went on to succeed everywhere else.........

I say why not bring him in for a look, I have no problem seeing the Bills bring in as many potential QBs as possible for a look (not sign to deals, bring them in for a workout). Bring in guys who were drafted high like Quinn, or McCoy, etc (if/when available) to take a look. Leave no stone unturned if the QB class this year in the draft is so weak as everyone says. Let Fitz go, have TJax compete with someone like Smith/McCoy/Quinn/etc and someone from the first couple rounds of the draft. What do the Bills have to lose? Atleast they would have a year into trying to find someone before next offseason instead of just trying to get through another year with Fitz..........