Jairus Byrd--think he'll be traded?

JTO

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no interest in trading Byrd. at all.

but because of the qb situation 31 and 34 are something i should consider.

who do you hear this trade rumor from ?

I didn't hear it from anyone, I am bored on a Sunday and was thinking out loud. :)

I didn't hear it from anyone, I am bored on a Sunday and was thinking out loud. :)

It's a possibilty though if they have another plan.

I worry that Pettines doing installs and Jairus is falling behind. Does that send a tell? I dont know.

Ya know on second thought I didn't know that the Vikings cap situation was as bad as it is. They only have 6 million left and they need to sign rookies, so yeah bad idea. Ok scratch the Mario thought process. :)

I was referring to bonuses and the cap.

It's a possibilty though if they have another plan.

I worry that Pettines doing installs and Jairus is falling behind. Does that send a tell? I dont know.

Buffalo fans need to get over their inferiority complex. Jairus is doing what he needs to do for his life, family and future. Its april. If he isnt here by september, thats a tell. April, I dont give a ****.

Again I don't see the Niners trading high draft picks for Byrd, signing him to a mega-contract, etc. when they just let Dashon Goldson walk.

There are some good safeties in this draft and IMO the Niners could spend fewer picks in a trade up to get one of them… or see if one falls to them. And it would save them a ton of money.

And Goldson was a sure thing.

He was All-Pro this past season and made the Pro Bowl in 2011 and 2012.

He just signed a 5-year, $41.25 million contract with $22 million guaranteed.

Why would they trade for Byrd after letting Goldson walk?

Sorry, but Byrd hasn't even had an offer, nor have there been any reports of any teams having any interest in Byrd. So, what would motivate any team to give up a high draft pick (or multiple picks) to the Bills, and additionally, get the

privilege of paying in the $8-9M range for a "soft safety" who is a marginal all pro, and that only depending what top NFL safeties are not able to play in the pro bowl? There is absolutely no motivation for a team to do that. Byrd is here for a year and he'll move on.

The bottom line is a lot of Bills fans think Byrd is way better than he really is.

Sorry, but Byrd hasn't even had an offer, nor have there been any reports of any teams having any interest in Byrd. So, what would motivate any team to give up a high draft pick (or multiple picks) to the Bills, and additionally, get the

privilege of paying in the $8-9M range for a "soft safety" who is a marginal all pro, and that only depending what top NFL safeties are not able to play in the pro bowl? There is absolutely no motivation for a team to do that. Byrd is here for a year and he'll move on.

The bottom line is a lot of Bills fans think Byrd is way better than he really is.

i really think that byrd is a great safety, probably top 5 in the league. he has become a sure tackler and a big help in run support. and his football instincts/ball skills are unquestioned. the man is definately a great player and by all accounts a good person. i believe he is better at his craft than levitre at his (though i also like levitre a lot).

unfortunately i don't think either player is worth, to this team, what they will or have commanded on the open market. but that is not to say i don't like them or don't think they are very good. there is just no way you pay that kind of cash for those positions.

Who knows why Byrd hasn't been signed. Perhaps he wants more than what Buffalo is willing to pay? Perhaps Pettine wants to see how he performs in a new defense? Perhaps the Bills feel that Aaron Williams and a safety pick in this year's draft can give them leverage to work out a better deal for themselves? These points all could be valid. Here's another valid point - the Bills could franchise Byrd for the next two years - giving them this year and two more - and his total contract over the life of his time with Buffalo would average out to be like 4 million a year. That's very reasonable for a very good safety.

On another note - I find it really hard to believe that any team would trade early draft picks for a safety - even a good one - when this year is said to be such a deep year at safety in the draft, with like 4 or 5 potential pro-bowl quality players available? It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Bills don't typically acquire top 5 or top 10 position level talent. And so, it's rare they have to negotiate a contract extension with these caliber of players. It was only 4 years ago when Jason Peters' camp demanded too much and Russ had him traded. If, and it's only an if right now, Buffalo trades Byrd it sends a message that they're not willing to pay for their own drafted and developed types to play here. And while Steve Johnson got a good size contract, he's just not top-5 or top-10 at his position. Byrd can be considered that and will expect to be paid as such.

If you trade players to get out from under their contracts it's impossible to build a football team. Eugene Parker may be a tough agent to negotiate with, but running away from him is not the answer here either. I would be more confident they had a decent rebuilding strategy if the team president weren't a football neophyte and the GM had a shred of management credibility.

i really think that byrd is a great safety, probably top 5 in the league. he has become a sure tackler and a big help in run support. and his football instincts/ball skills are unquestioned. the man is definately a great player and by all accounts a good person. i believe he is better at his craft than levitre at his (though i also like levitre a lot).

unfortunately i don't think either player is worth, to this team, what they will or have commanded on the open market. but that is not to say i don't like them or don't think they are very good. there is just no way you pay that kind of cash for those positions.

Well, Revis is a top 5 CB coming off an ACL. The Bucs just gave up 2 draft picks (one of them the 13th in this year's draft) and $16m/year over 6 years. If Byrd is a top 5 safety, where is the love for him? I mean, he's only gonna want a about half of what Revis got and he aint damaged goods. And, if the Bills were offered the 31st pick in the draft, I believe they'd be ecstatic.... but it aint happening. Why? Maybe because Byrd ain't anywhere near as good as Bills fans believe. He was part and parcel of some of the worst Bills defense over the past four years. Yeah, he had company, but he was a part of it. So, if he's so good, why were the defenses he was on so bad? Jets were still a top 10 defense without Revis. Bills will still be a top 27 defense without Byrd. If Byrd is such an impact player... where was the impact?

Well, Revis is a top 5 CB coming off an ACL. The Bucs just gave up 2 draft picks (one of them the 13th in this year's draft) and $16m/year over 6 years. If Byrd is a top 5 safety, where is the love for him? I mean, he's only gonna want a about half of what Revis got and he aint damaged goods. And, if the Bills were offered the 31st pick in the draft, I believe they'd be ecstatic.... but it aint happening. Why? Maybe because Byrd ain't anywhere near as good as Bills fans believe. He was part and parcel of some of the worst Bills defense over the past four years. Yeah, he had company, but he was a part of it. So, if he's so good, why were the defenses he was on so bad? Jets were still a top 10 defense without Revis. Bills will still be a top 27 defense without Byrd. If Byrd is such an impact player... where was the impact?

my opinion on this is that there are two major differences between revis and byrd are the position (cb is way more high profile than safety) and the fact that the jets were very active about shopping revis, at least publicly.

i still believe that byrd is top 5ish for safeties in the league, but does a top 5ish safety really compare in notoriety or demand to a top 5ish (or #1) cb with his own island named after him? and yes, i know that he is coming off a big injury. but, it is what it is and we shall see what we shall see.

also, i believe that the bucs must absolutely be off their collective meds. but hey, better them than us, better the island is no longer in the east, and here's to hoping the jets absolutely s#!t all over themselves with all those picks in the draft.

Edited by swnybillsfan

With how crappy Buddy Nix is at drafting, why the hell would anyone want a draft pick or two instead of Byrd? That makes no sense to me.

i think most people are making the point that if there is no way he is going to be a buffalo bill after this season, then it is better to recieve some form of compensation for him rather than watching him walk away and having a large hole to fill, a little to fill it with.

I wanted to keep Levitre and now Byrd , will there salary demands allow it to happen? I'll keep saying it, I want to keep Byrd

And next year we have to probably pony up for Wood and Spiller.

With how crappy Buddy Nix is at drafting, why the hell would anyone want a draft pick or two instead of Byrd? That makes no sense to me.

May be Nix won't be drafting in 2014!

my opinion on this is that there are two major differences between revis and byrd are the position (cb is way more high profile than safety) and the fact that the jets were very active about shopping revis, at least publicly.

i still believe that byrd is top 5ish for safeties in the league, but does a top 5ish safety really compare in notoriety or demand to a top 5ish (or #1) cb with his own island named after him? and yes, i know that he is coming off a big injury. but, it is what it is and we shall see what we shall see.

also, i believe that the bucs must absolutely be off their collective meds. but hey, better them than us, better the island is no longer in the east, and here's to hoping the jets absolutely s#!t all over themselves with all those picks in the draft.

The reason the trade happened (for the Jets) because they need to come out of cap jail and they couldn't afford 15M a year for Reevis (at least against their salary cap). May be next year, when Sanchez comes off the books, but Revis did not want to wait until next year.

For Byrd, it is simply a regular situation and the Bills need to deal with it appropriately. The biggest thing would be is: Does Byrd want to play for this organization for this coaching staff. If answer is 'yes' then re-sign him else, we ship him to the highest bidder.

Who knows why Byrd hasn't been signed. Perhaps he wants more than what Buffalo is willing to pay? Perhaps Pettine wants to see how he performs in a new defense? Perhaps the Bills feel that Aaron Williams and a safety pick in this year's draft can give them leverage to work out a better deal for themselves? These points all could be valid. Here's another valid point - the Bills could franchise Byrd for the next two years - giving them this year and two more - and his total contract over the life of his time with Buffalo would average out to be like 4 million a year. That's very reasonable for a very good safety.

On another note - I find it really hard to believe that any team would trade early draft picks for a safety - even a good one - when this year is said to be such a deep year at safety in the draft, with like 4 or 5 potential pro-bowl quality players available? It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

+1. And if teams wanted a starting safety, they could have signed Ed Reed in Free Agency (or have Polamalu for a draft pick).