James Harrison to be available?! (Update - signed w/ Bengals)

VanCity

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Remarkably, Harrison is still on the market. If he could be had for a vet min type deal at this point, why not pull the trigger? No real downside.

http://profootballta...not-interested/

I'm guessing he's gotten feedback from some teams that they won't come close to his asking price.

That said, the Bills would have to pay more than other teams in order to sign him, IMO.

Again why would a guy who's played his entire career with a championship contending team want to finish his career in Buffalo?

Only one reason and that is money.

Stay far away from linebackers that the Steelers release. They know exactly when to let their own go. Here's some examples over the years: Greg Lloyd, Jason Gilden, and Joey Porter.

I was thinking the same thing, and for the most part players in general. The Steelers don't pay big free agency contracts, rarely pay good money to their own players with a few exceptions (QB), yet they are one of, if not the best run franchise in the NFL and are playoff competitive, probably 9 out of every 10 seasons. If they let a player go, pretty good chance he doesn't have much left.

I don't think I am going to spend much energy responding, because I too think he's probably washed up, and am ambivalent on whether we should look into him. If the Steelers think he's washed up, that's the kiss of death.

But maybe you still roll the dice on him, like we did with Jason Gildon a few years back. Get him for a vet min; if he doesn't make it through camp, then cut him and your losses.

(SJ Bills Fan: It doesn't seem like there's a market at all for Harrison, so I don't think he's going to have anything better than vet min deals from any team).

I was thinking the same thing, and for the most part players in general. The Steelers don't pay big free agency contracts, rarely pay good money to their own players with a few exceptions (QB), yet they are one of, if not the best run franchise in the NFL and are playoff competitive, probably 9 out of every 10 seasons. If they let a player go, pretty good chance he doesn't have much left.

Chad Brown was actually quite productive when he left the Steelers. First three years after the Steelers let him go, he put up solid numbers for Seattle. Better than anything we have here in Buffalo. Might as well bring in harrison if the price is right. If not, then nm.

Because he could take the spot of someone who could actually contribute

We have LB's on this team that can contribute? I thought we had one of the worst D's in the league last year. Why not bring in someone would can compete for a starting spot. He won't be given a starting sport, Marrone will put the best guys on the field.

This team has way too much uncertainty at some of the most vital positions. We have a good offensive line that's about to lose its most consistent linchpin in Andy Levitre. We don't have even one binafide baller at LB even though we'll be running some 3-4. We have no one opposite Stevie Johnson at receiver. Our only TE is injured. We have no QB. We still need another safety and cornerback. What else am I supposed to think?

Two straight years of declining health and productivity. There's no guarantee he'll give us two good years. He only had 6 sacks last year on a tough Steelers defense. We need some youth on this roster. We're not ready to win right now.

By and large Joey Porter's tenure in Miami was a major letdown. I live in Miami Lakes and watch every Dolphins game. He was horrible. Terrible at coverage and didn't tally many tackles. He was a one dimensional player and the Steelers didn't miss him one bit when he left.

You might be able to squeak one or two good seasons from these former Steelers, but that's about it.

Pretty much everything I bolded, above, screams for the need of some stop gap FA's, no? Far to many holes to fill through the draft, 2nd round cuts, UDFA's and practice squad shleps...Unfortunately, in this case, I'm with you on Harrison. He will go to a contender on a 1-2 yr value contract and he may shine at times given the stellar supporting cast around him. For the "names" on our D, they have yet to fit the definition of stellar...he would suck in Buffalo.

We have LB's on this team that can contribute? I thought we had one of the worst D's in the league last year. Why not bring in someone would can compete for a starting spot. He won't be given a starting sport, Marrone will put the best guys on the field.

Do you think he is better than Nigel Bradham and Manny Lawson at this point in his career?

Remarkably, Harrison is still on the market. If he could be had for a vet min type deal at this point, why not pull the trigger? No real downside.

http://profootballta...not-interested/

Harrison and his agent is literally begging the Steelers to consider Harrision at a much lower salary than what they offered him initially before releasing him....How the mighty have fallen and can't seem to rise!!

Do you think he is better than Nigel Bradham and Manny Lawson at this point in his career?

Yes

Harrison and his agent is literally begging the Steelers to consider Harrision at a much lower salary than what they offered him initially before releasing him....How the mighty have fallen and can't seem to rise!!

He should have taken the 2m on the table from the steelers.

Just read another article that there is absolutely no market for this guy.