We have more holes than swiss cheese

Ok lets be brutally honest and really take a look at the Bills position by position. I will start with QB. We dont have a bonified top flight starting QB. We all know that. Heck, we dont have a number 2 either. On to RB, Spiller is a beast and fun to watch. Fred Jackson is in decline and has lost his burst. On to WR. After Stevie Johnson we have nothing folks. TJ graham has hands of bricks. As for TE, Chandler isnt going to be ready and we have squat behind him. Our O line is the strong point but dont expect Levitre to stay. He is off like a prom dress. Our defensive line may be the strong point, however we certainly need another DE. Linebackers, I just gotta shake my head because we do not have 1 NFL caliber LB on the roster. I will lump the db's all together as one......average at best. We have way to many needs to address my friends. Brace yourself for a 2-14 type season. Its going to be worse before it gets better. Flame away if you like it really wont bother me. Reality is just that.

Edited by billsfan_34

not sure I'd totally agree on DB's...Byrd is one the top safties, Gilmore was solid and hopefully only gets better this year, Brooks is a hopefull for being solid after coming back from injury last season...if they re-sign McKelvin and bring in a good SS we could have a pretty good backfield....I wonder if Easley gets a better shot with this staff this year

Finally, a thread where someone who constantly complains about our lack of depth, complains about our lack of depth.

Thank god the OP told us all the players we cut or didnt sign no longer play for our team. I thought it worked like a time out.

Ok lets be brutally honest and really take a look at the Bills position by position. I will start with QB. We dont have a bonified top flight starting QB. We all know that. Heck, we dont have a number 2 either. On to RB, Spiller is a beast and fun to watch. Fred Jackson is in decline and has lost his burst. On to WR. After Stevie Johnson we have nothing folks. TJ graham has hands of bricks. As for TE, Chandler isnt going to be ready and we have squat behind him. Our O line is the strong point but dont expect Levitre to stay. He is off like a prom dress. Our defensive line may be the strong point, however we certainly need another DE. Linebackers, I just gotta shake my head because we do not have 1 NFL caliber LB on the roster. I will lump the db's all together as one......average at best. We have way to many needs to address my friends. Brace yourself for a 2-14 type season. Its going to be worse before it gets better. Flame away if you like it really wont bother me. Reality is just that.

Yea, I agree, sadly. The worst part is we have more holes now then we did when the season ended a few months ago. I guess we have to wait and see what Nix does between now and April, but there are only so many draft picks and so much money for free agents, the most of whom don't want to come here unless they are grossly overpaid. Not too optimistic, since in 3 drafts, with the exception of Spiller (who was a luxury pick), none of his picks have excelled. Dareus has potential up the butt, but hasn't come close to that level yet. Gilmore wasn't that good, he looked better then he actually was because so many teams went after Aaron Williams who has been a disaster as a corner. He has ignored for the most part the most important position on the team, going after one 7th round pick, and a bunch of unwanted cast offs from other teams, now that it is the weakest year in a long time for QBs, he realized he needs one-bad. Edited by BuffBill

Yea, I agree, sadly. The worst part is we have more holes now then we did when the season ended a few months ago. I guess we have to wait and see what Nix does between now and April, but there are only so many draft picks and so much money for free agents, the most of whom don't want to come here unless they are grossly overpaid. Not too optimistic, since in 3 drafts, with the exception of Spiller (who was a luxury pick), none of his picks have excelled. Dareus has potential up the butt, but hasn't come close to that level yet. Gilmore wasn't that good, he looked better then he actually was because so many teams went after Aaron Williams who has been a disaster as a corner. He has ignored for the most part the most important position on the team, going after one 7th round pick, and a bunch of unwanted cast offs from other teams, now that it is the weakest year in a long time for QBs, he realized he needs one-bad.

Every team in football has more holes than when the season ended. Every team. That is why there is free agency and the draft. After that we can assess if this team has more holes than last year. Can we at least wait for the legitimate moment to gnash our teeth.

Well, since right now teams can only let guys go, and only those players that have been cut can be signed, how do you suppose they go about filling these holes before the draft and Free Agency can begin? Looking at the list of players that have been cut or let go/not retained by the Bills, along with how poorly they have played, these are all rpetty much guys that everyone wanted to see gone/upgraded anyways. Aside from Nelson of course, another guy who has done very little, yet gets soooooo much hype for it

It may be a shock to some wallers but I'm a known pessimist around here. Its obvious that we have more holes to deal with but I think this coaching staff is on the right track. After doing evaluations they have identified the broken pieces and are getting rid of them. I know its hard to see now but the definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over again. It won't make alot of us happy but they have to get rid of the pieces that won't cut it and find replacements slowly. The last two coaching staffs plugged in players that were soso because they had nothing else. I am beginning to see that to change the losing culture of this club they have to identify and get rid of the losers they trot out there on Sundays. We're now seeing that there's so many its gonna take a while

I can't believe I just said that!

I feel dirty time for a rape shower...

What sized piece of Swiss cheese?

If it was a very small piece it wouldn't have many holes at all......but a big piece has a lot of holes in it.

Also....the holes in Swiss cheese are random in size. Does that directly relate to our team? Do the big holes represent linemen & the little ones DBs......or do they relate to the calibre of player? Big hole means we lack a big time player....little hole represents a backup?

Honestly, this analogy is far too complex for my puny brain to cope with.

It may be a shock to some wallers but I'm a known pessimist around here. Its obvious that we have more holes to deal with but I think this coaching staff is on the right track. After doing evaluations they have identified the broken pieces and are getting rid of them. I know its hard to see now but the definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over again. It won't make alot of us happy but they have to get rid of the pieces that won't cut it and find replacements slowly. The last two coaching staffs plugged in players that were soso because they had nothing else. I am beginning to see that to change the losing culture of this club they have to identify and get rid of the losers they trot out there on Sundays. We're now seeing that there's so many its gonna take a while

I agree with you to some degree. But there are 2 problems that still concern me:

1.) Buddy Nix built the current roster, why would we let him have a mulligan to do it again?

2.) By the sound of things, their plan is to fill the current holes with more soso players

So, other than giving Marrone and his staff a bit of leeway, it seems like theyre doing the same thing over again. We'll see.

Edited by Maddog69

What sized piece of Swiss cheese?

If it was a very small piece it wouldn't have many holes at all......but a big piece has a lot of holes in it.

Also....the holes in Swiss cheese are random in size. Does that directly relate to our team? Do the big holes represent linemen & the little ones DBs......or do they relate to the calibre of player? Big hole means we lack a big time player....little hole represents a backup?

Honestly, this analogy is far too complex for my puny brain to cope with.

Imagine if he said Pepper Jack cheese...you'd be screwed.

I agree with you to some degree. But there are 2 problems that still concern me:

1.) Buddy Nix built the current roster, why would we let him have a mulligan to do it again?

2.) By the sound of things, their plan is to fill the current holes with more soso players

So, other than giving Marrone and his staff a bit of leeway, it seems like theyre doing the same thing over again. We'll see.

Here's to hoping that Buddy is just in an advisory role more or less an Whaley is really at the reigns. I get the idea after they reviewed every player that they realized a few quality players aside that this roster blows and they have to choose their release battles carefully. After 13 yrs of putrid garbage, think they realize what a pig this rosteris and its gonna take a few yrs.

Sadly, this is what the first year of a change of culture looks like. I have to endure this with my Bills and Cubs. Saves me a lot of time in front of the TV while both organizations re-sod their lawns.

Finally, a thread where someone who constantly complains about our lack of depth, complains about our lack of depth.

There wasn't any complaining....just facts.....Sorry to burst your bubble.

Bingo.....someone gets it. Nice post. Your right we are in complete rebuild mode. Don't be surprised if fitz is gone in 2 days. I welcome 1 n 15 this year

Edited by billsfan_34

Who said he is being given a Mulligan to do it again? Your assuming that he was done building his roser to his liking. Looking at the list of guys being let go, they are mostly older veterans who where brought in to shore up a roster for now and where not long term answers, or guys that have become to old/worn down to play anymore. Aside from the WRs Nelson/Jones, how many were young players Nix brought in to build the roster? Nelson IIRC was a UDFA they brought in and given a chance.

You can't rebuild an entire roster without having to fill some spots with so-so players that you hope can fill in for now and be upgraded later. Every team has some players that are so-so spot holders