Nurse refused to give CPR to elderly woman who later died

Fezmid

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW I think they've changed how you give CPR. No need to breath into the mouth and you just do the chest compressions to the BeeGee's Ah-ah-ah-ah stayin' alive, stayin alive, ah-ah-ah-ah stayin' alive doing the compressions on the Ah-ah-ah-ah part. Well I forgot this in the confusion of the moment recently and did the compressions to the drum solo in Wipe Out. Killed the mother !@#$er.

Yep, on a breathing patient, if even barely, you do NOT do chest compressions. Imagine the lawsuit if the nurse had listened to the idiot dispatcher and started doing them and she died?

In the comments, the reporter says,

The 911 dispatcher asked a person near the patient to say how often the person was breathing. When the patient did not breathe for more than 12 seconds after the last breath, that prompted the dispatcher to say CPR needed to start.

When doing CPR, you are supposed to check for breathing for no more than 10 seconds. If no breath occurs, you begin CPR. A breath over that time is not considered breathing.

In the comments, the reporter says,

When doing CPR, you are supposed to check for breathing for no more than 10 seconds. If no breath occurs, you begin CPR. A breath over that time is not considered breathing.

yep. as described, this was likely agonal breathing http://www.theheart.org/article/924633.do. it's recognition is taught as part of the basic cpr curriculum.

My grandfather was 87 and in the hospital and almost in a coma. He stopped breathing and they did CPR. Broke 2 ribs. He died the next day anyway. Made his last day on earth an agony.

Best thing that can happen for most residents in nursing homes.

Most times we are just to selfish to let our love ones pass on.

Nursing homes very depressing.

My grandmother (dad's mom) was in a nursing home for many years. She and I were very close, she worked at my dad's restaurant with me. I refused to visit her in the nursing home when I was in town to visit. It was awful and my brother gave me **** all the time but I told him I have wonderful memories of her and I didn't want to spoil them with the angry "crazy lady" she had become.

My grandmother (dad's mom) was in a nursing home for many years. She and I were very close, she worked at my dad's restaurant with me. I refused to visit her in the nursing home when I was in town to visit. It was awful and my brother gave me **** all the time but I told him I have wonderful memories of her and I didn't want to spoil them with the angry "crazy lady" she had become.

I see it every time the wife and I go see my Aunt. I would say 60% would rather pass on than see or know what they have become.Very sad.

I keep on pushing the AED thing... Why the heck are they not everywhere... Betcha they could have found a iPhone quicker to hook up to Granny. Just hook the tech up to Granny and let it do its thing. What do they run? 1,000 bucks for the cheapo versions? $1500?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I keep on pushing the AED thing... Why the heck are they not everywhere... Betcha they could have found a iPhone quicker to hook up to Granny. Just hook the tech up to Granny and let it do its thing. What do they run? 1,000 bucks for the cheapo versions? $1500?

I honestly believe that "saving lives" is not the MO here. They'd be fighting a losing battle, wasting resources to prolong the inevitable, and making a bigger mess of things.

When the nurse was asked if no one would help, and she said "We called 911", I think that explains everything.

I dont blame them either.

OMG - she was 87. Nuff said.

Apparently collasping and dying is no longer considered a 'natural death' for 87 year olds.

I presume people saying "it's a blessing" is now considered hate speech. lol

Well, not exactly. society as a whole has not formally agreed with most of you. the person, regardless of age, has the right to decide on whether they desire cpr in such an event. the default decision, if none is made by the person before the fact, is usually to perform cpr. major surgeries including open heart surgeries are done on people over 85 (eg barbara bush) and usually paid for by medicare. wonder what several octagenarian plus nfl owners have documented as to their wishes.

Well, not exactly. society as a whole has not formally agreed with most of you. the person, regardless of age, has the right to decide on whether they desire cpr in such an event. the default decision, if none is made by the person before the fact, is usually to perform cpr. major surgeries including open heart surgeries are done on people over 85 (eg barbara bush) and usually paid for by medicare. wonder what several octagenarian plus nfl owners have documented as to their wishes.

Which is ridiculous and one of the major reasons why our country is going broke.